Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

May Council Elections

Comments

• Options

My polling station this time is a hairdressers, clearly expecting a massive turnout.

Prime Minister could have saved the country millions by doing local and general on the same day.

Are you in Rochford?
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Looking at results in part of Wales half of Labour losses are not going to the Tories, but to Independents. This suggests to me that a significant number of disillusioned Labour voters are searching for a home for their vote.
    The FPTP system in a General Election won't reflect gains created by the disillusioned but probably open the door for the Tories.
    So we may really be entering an era where you have to stand on your own two feet or f**k and die. With the extra frisson that the in power Tories won't have to stand on their own two feet, but can tread on our faces for their leverage.

You started off with an interesting analysis and ended with ridiculous hyperbole. Enjoy the upvotes from the anti Tory circle jerk.
    Except you missed the word 'may'. Perhaps you could help me by explaining what Conservatism actually means beyond being self serving.
    The Tories are an ideological mess of one nationers, small state (small 'l') liberals, corporatists and hang em and flog em law and order fanatics. They're not my cup of tea but I don't think they want to stamp on people's faces or for that matter eat anyone's babies.
    You are probably right to rein me in. I was being a bit poetic as it were. But to revisit what I said, if Conservatism essentially means everybody has to stand on their own two feet, the bit they dodge is how much advantage some areas of society gain by exploiting others and not standing on their own two feet themselves, but being in a position to pay some poor drone pleb £8 an hour to elevate them.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Looking at results in part of Wales half of Labour losses are not going to the Tories, but to Independents. This suggests to me that a significant number of disillusioned Labour voters are searching for a home for their vote.
    The FPTP system in a General Election won't reflect gains created by the disillusioned but probably open the door for the Tories.
    So we may really be entering an era where you have to stand on your own two feet or f**k and die. With the extra frisson that the in power Tories won't have to stand on their own two feet, but can tread on our faces for their leverage.

You started off with an interesting analysis and ended with ridiculous hyperbole. Enjoy the upvotes from the anti Tory circle jerk.
    Except you missed the word 'may'. Perhaps you could help me by explaining what Conservatism actually means beyond being self serving.
    The Tories are an ideological mess of one nationers, small state (small 'l') liberals, corporatists and hang em and flog em law and order fanatics. They're not my cup of tea but I don't think they want to stamp on people's faces or for that matter eat anyone's babies.
    You are probably right to rein me in. I was being a bit poetic as it were. But to revisit what I said, if Conservatism essentially means everybody has to stand on their own two feet, the bit they dodge is how much advantage some areas of society gain by exploiting others and not standing on their own two feet themselves, but being in a position to pay some poor drone pleb £8 an hour to elevate them.
    I think that the Conservatives do still believe in a social net but one that is more limited than that proposed by other parties. I guess I'm quite sanguine about the whole argument because I can see a smaller social security systems have helped to propel some of the most dynamic economies in the world but with obvious costs to those who fall on hard times. The utilitarianist in me wonders whether the western social model has done more harm than good by encouraging poor behaviour from employers (paying people starvation wages in the knowledge that the state will pick up the rest) and led to the breakdown in family and other support networks which have previously anchored society in a generally positive manner. BTW I have stated on here more than once that I feel the most iniquitous factor in the UK is the housing market which needs to be massively deflated. Once that is accomplished there will be far less scope for exploitation and those at the bottom would have room to improve their lot without help from the state. Anyway I need to get back to work, apologies for the barbed comment earlier.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I work in our local Town Council. With three levels of local government (town, borough, county) I am confident in saying that a lot of the public have no idea which is which and what services each provide. I also believe that only on the lowest level do you have true representation of local community needs. I'm off to the count today, as we are awaiting the results of our neighbourhood development plan which if passed will protect our local green spaces from development (the borough council have in recent years sold of parts of our parks for redevelopment and housing).

Certainly seems to be the way of things in Hythe. As much as I was a critic of Bexley council, and RBG before it, there was a degree of accountability, and eventual communication with issues.

Shepway want to offload all there tiresome enquiries to KCC, who frankly have little local knowledge of an area, or at least claim not to. For instance you cannot discuss a planning issue in person with the case officer in Folkestone, because they have cut the budget\staff, and you end up with emails and a planning portal. That is of course if you have access, and can be bothered.

There are a number of planning issues down here, and although I am not personally affected directly will greatly affect the local community, the small business communities, and transport.

Building appartments, that start in excess of £600,000 may look great on a marketing power point presentation, but hardly add to the community needs of young families, and key workers being empty most week days.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2017
    Agree on need for reform of the housing market.

Access to decent housing needs to be sustainable & equitable. There needs to be more diverse types of housing in an area. This includes social rents & affordable housing alongside owner occupied. This would support family networks & a more stable community.

Any policy would need careful consideration & implementation with wide support to ensure success & reassure that price stability is maintained. Owner occupiers would be unlikely to support a policy that significantly brings down the value of their property.

Building more houses that people can afford to live in & less luxury appartments that are sold accross the world as an investment vehicle. Things can be better with some careful thinking & planning. This can help people to live with a reduction in stress & pressure in meeting the basic need for somewhere decent to live.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

The one small grain of hope I take from these elections is that UKIP is being wiped out. I saw they had someone at the table on BBC news - I thought "make the most of it, we won't see you again". No matter how much noise they make, they should now be ignored by the media - no sitting MPs, their MEPs about to be put out of work through their own doing and very few councilors who, going by this election, are only in post until they next face a vote.

UKIP was formed with just one goal in mind,to take the UK out of the EU.
    Now that has been achieved they can disband as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    I am hoping that with the collapse of UKIP, voting UKIP doesn't act as a gateway drug to voting Conservative. Signs are that whilst Labour has not done well its vote has held up but clearly not enough to win a General Election on its own. Hopefully Labour will now be more open to the idea of tactical alliances & tactical voting to defeat / limit the size of a Tory General Election win.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

The one small grain of hope I take from these elections is that UKIP is being wiped out. I saw they had someone at the table on BBC news - I thought "make the most of it, we won't see you again". No matter how much noise they make, they should now be ignored by the media - no sitting MPs, their MEPs about to be put out of work through their own doing and very few councilors who, going by this election, are only in post until they next face a vote.

UKIP was formed with just one goal in mind,to take the UK out of the EU.
    Now that has been achieved they can disband as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, that's one way of putting it...

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Tories don't want to stamp on peoples faces or eat babies - yes that is true. Likewise there is a mix of one nationers, liberals and the other factions - but that mix is perhaps equivalent to those in other parties. On one side you have Labour with Momentum and on the other the Tories with Thatcherite capitalist ideaologies.

However the Tories policies indicate that they are hell bent on clusterfucking the NHS and kicking those genuinely in need even further into the local foodbank.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Tories have won the Tees Valley Mayoral election!
  • Options

Bloody hell. Tories have won the Tees Valley Mayoral election!

Labour can't defend the north unless they abandon their love affair with mass immigration. Labour can't hold the cities unless they ramp up their love affair with mass immigration. Bit of a quandary.
  • Options
    Labour needs to explain the benefits of controlled migration to appeal to both sides. At least, that's the angle I'd hope they take.

By the way, these results are totally disheartening for someone who had even the faintest hope that the Tories might lose their majority next month.
  • Options
    The collapse of the Lincolnshire UKIP vote (and almost certainly the UKIP vote nationwide) is because Brexit happened .. UKIP has served it's purpose .. it'll probably continue as a pressure group but any hopes of gaining real electoral power have gone .. Farage knew this a long time ago ..

over 3 million voted for UKIP last time around .. at the next general election I'll wager almost all will vote tory, illogically also, a few will vote green ..
    Grimsby is a die hard Labour stronghold and despite the referendum vote in favour of Brexit across the borough, the lovely Melanie Onn will retain her seat .. and a very nice one it is
  • Options
    Anyone celebrating the fall of UKIP is a f**king moron
  • Options
    Leuth said:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/05/05/ukip-aren-t-dead-they-re-in-charge
  • Options
    WSS said:

Leuth said:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/05/05/ukip-aren-t-dead-they-re-in-charge
    I think the bloke that wrote that blog must have misspelt both his names.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Cheers mate - I'm a f**king moron then.
  • Options
    Tories have absorbed UKIP voters, dragging them further right.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Leuth said:

I refer you to the article helpfully posted by WSS one post later. You think the Blackshirts Squad won't secede from Mother Tory as soon as there's another fight to win? We've nailed Johnny this time, but who's next? Maybe criminals? Forfeited their rights mate. Should just shoot them all.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I think that the Conservatives do still believe in a social net but one that is more limited than that proposed by other parties. I guess I'm quite sanguine about the whole argument because I can see a smaller social security systems have helped to propel some of the most dynamic economies in the world but with obvious costs to those who fall on hard times. The utilitarianist in me wonders whether the western social model has done more harm than good by encouraging poor behaviour from employers (paying people starvation wages in the knowledge that the state will pick up the rest) and led to the breakdown in family and other support networks which have previously anchored society in a generally positive manner. BTW I have stated on here more than once that I feel the most iniquitous factor in the UK is the housing market which needs to be massively deflated. Once that is accomplished there will be far less scope for exploitation and those at the bottom would have room to improve their lot without help from the state. Anyway I need to get back to work, apologies for the barbed comment earlier.
    No need to apologise.
    I agree about the property market.
    I moved in to my place in 1998, it is now supposedly 'worth' 7.5 times what I paid for it, yet I only paid the mortgage off last month. Everybody needs a decent safe secure and reliable place to lay their head at night, and we are a long way from that.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It's Gordon you're talking about

• Options
    WSS said:
    Fecking European democracy is chite. Lets bring back sovereignty and we can have democracy by straw pulling, egg rolling, and games of paper scissors stone (best of three).
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    UKIP have majority control of Thanet District Council from 2015. They won seven out of eight county council seats here in 2013 - Labour won the other (as it did in 2009).

Today UKIP not only lost all their county seats, they weren't even second in any of them, with the Tories taking five and Labour two (there is one fewer seat due to boundary changes).

As far as they are concerned, the show's over.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Saga Lout said:

Leuth said:

I refer you to the article helpfully posted by WSS one post later. You think the Blackshirts Squad won't secede from Mother Tory as soon as there's another fight to win? We've nailed Johnny this time, but who's next? Maybe criminals? Forfeited their rights mate. Should just shoot them all.
    I genuinely don't understand what you are saying?

I scanned that article and it looks to me like the UKIPPERS are sloping back to the Tory party, so UKIP as an official party is dead and I will celebrate that.
  • Options

UKIP have majority control of Thanet District Council from 2015. They won seven out of eight county council seats here in 2013 - Labour won the other.

Today UKIP not only lost all their county seats, they weren't even second in any of them, with the Tories taking five and Labour two (there is one fewer seat due to boundary changes).

As far as they are concerned, the show's over.

It has just begun
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Leuth said:

Saga Lout said:

Leuth said:

I genuinely don't understand what you are saying?

I scanned that article and it looks to me like the UKIPPERS are sloping back to the Tory party, so UKIP as an official party is dead and I will celebrate that.
    I'm saying that the Tories, our ruling party, are now effectively UKIP. If the Tories moderate their policies in a manner which displeasures your typical Kipper, watch the goon squad mobilise once again, as if out of thin air!