Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Bexley beat Teddington this afternoon, and now play Cuckney (Near Mansfield) in the ECB National Club Final at Lords on the 9Th September.
  • Options
    Bickley Park managed to get back on the winning trail today in their home encounter with Beckenham.

Having won the toss, Bickley took the unusual step, for them, of bowling first. Given Beckenham found themselves 77-7 at one point, it wasn't the worst decision the Bickley skipper has ever made. Despite a battling 39* from Whiteland, Beckenham were all out for 148 on a track that simply wasn't a 148 track. So it proved with Bickley's openers, Singh (53) and Hooper (43) making a massive dent in the target and with almost 25 overs, for the loss of 4 wickets, Bickley landed the spoils.

Top of the table Canterbury's defeat of Bromley means that, although it is isn't mathematically certain, they will be playing in the Premier Division next season. Should Bickley win their final two games they will join Canterbury although one victory might just be enough. 
    How has Seb been doing since his return from his broken thumb?
  • Options
    Our firsts who’ve won so many coin flips got smashed in their 2nd place v 3rd match when they lost to Springfields 2nd Xl who Leap frog us in to second place .
    we got a pathetic 155 all out in our 45 overs , Springfield stuttered to 40-3 before cruising home with 3 overs to spare and not losing another wicket .
    The seconds are 3rd in the table as well and now play second this Saturday .

I came back too early from injury but I’m playing in our Presidents 30 over club match on Bank Holiday Monday where I’ve been named skipper and my eldest son is the oppo skipper with 3rd son Peter Kay playing for them as well , I’m gonna teach these kids a lesson !!

• Options
    Some wonder why people do not want to umpire - warning the footage below contains some rather extraordinary language.

The abuse might not have been aimed at the Umpire by the Hailsham CC player in a Sussex League game last weekend but the official will still have to write a report about this and the behaviour is indicative of the lack of respect shown to the game these days by some players. No doubt someone reading this will excuse his (and other members of his team) actions because that is the way they like to play cricket. The really stupid thing is that the Hailsham players must have known that their actions were being streamed!

• Options
    Hailsham are currently in 2nd place in Division 4E of the Sussex League. Imagine them getting a points deduction because of the actions of their players. A whole season's efforts potentially undone but, there again, this incident was caught on camera and some might question, given the continued nature of the send off and vitriol coming out of the players' mouths,that this wasn't the first time that they have pushed the boundaries. 
  • Options
    Hailsham are currently in 2nd place in Division 4E of the Sussex League. Imagine them getting a points deduction because of the actions of their players. A whole season's efforts potentially undone but, there again, this incident was caught on camera and some might question, given the continued nature of the send off and vitriol coming out of the players' mouths,that this wasn't the first time that they have pushed the boundaries. 
    as a aside I would also allow the umpires to add or subtract runs if the players question the Umpires decisions . If you had 50 runs added onto the oppo's score for each time / person who questioned their decisions then it would quickly stop it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as a aside I would also allow the umpires to add or subtract runs if the players question the Umpires decisions . If you had 50 runs added onto the oppo's score for each time / person who questioned their decisions then it would quickly stop it. 
    I've watched the ball prior to the one above - it goes down the legside and the Umpire gives wides. Immediately the same bowler throws his arms about and questions the decision. So that is two balls in a row that would qualify for a five run penalty (in addition to others not related to this e.g. ball hitting helmet on ground)
    • wilfully mistreating the cricket ground, equipment or implements
    • dissent at an umpire’s decision by word or action
    • obscene, offensive or insulting language
    • excessive appealing
    • advancing in an aggressive manner towards an umpire when appealing
    • any other action the umpire considers an equivalent offence
  • Options
    While this could happen where you have neutral umpires, it just wouldn't work in club cricket where clubs appoint their own officials. The Voluntary Code of Conduct generally works very well, and it is only a small amount of games where players flaunt it (often because they know their own umpires won't report them). 
  • Options
    Don't know if you can see anything further on from this clip ..maybe the skipper intervening,an attempt to pacify this oaf possibly? Level 2 offence @Pedro45

Incidentally in my experience the Kent league is/was better on discipline than Sussex 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Don't know if you can see anything further on from this clip ..maybe the skipper intervening,an attempt to pacify this oaf possibly? Level 2 offence @Pedro45

Incidentally in my experience the Kent league is/was better on discipline than Sussex 
    The wide ball takes place at 1:41:18 (with the antics from the bowler remonstrating with the Umpire) and the wicket follows the next ball. As you can see post the wicket, someone does push the bowler out of the way but only after he has been allowed to vent his spleen to all and sundry both verbally and with actions with his hands. Two fielders are heard accusing some of the spectators of aggravating the situation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ga82XkZAw
  • Options
    lolwray said:

The wide ball takes place at 1:41:18 (with the antics from the bowler remonstrating with the Umpire) and the wicket follows the next ball. As you can see post the wicket, someone does push the bowler out of the way but only after he has been allowed to vent his spleen to all and sundry both verbally and with actions with his hands. Two fielders are heard accusing some of the spectators of aggravating the situation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ga82XkZAw
    It doesn't remotely excuse the outburst, but if you go back just one more over you gain more clues as to why it came about. Young leggie comes on against a guy who's feeling a bit dangerous. A brutally familiar (to me, from my own legspin days) tale of yips, full tosses, lost balls, no balls and sixes ensues, and 34 runs later the lad's entire world is in ruins. Small wonder there's an outburst when he's out next over, albeit yeah, taken way too far (although if your first name is Diesel you probably have an explosive reputation to uphold) 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Two offences really, both level one I think. Abuse heard over the boundary and also the send off.
  • Options
    I see a couple of our best bowlers were missing for the 2’s this week (8 overs 0-8 and a 6-40 from last week unavailable today)
    For our home match we’re third v second placed Beaulieu Park 2nd XI and tentatively put myself forward for selection if required for my first game for the 2s this season , I’ve only bowled 2 overs for the 3s and that’s when I re fucked my knee after op 2 months or so back .
    I’ve been picked and passed my late fitness test , we’ve got an injured wild card player from the ones playing (moody)
    and a pony player who usually plays just Sundays , plus me …
    been in training (stopped eating biscuits , chocolate and crap) since Tuesday when I put myself forward for selection and have lost 6lbs 🙄 down to just over 14stone still the heaviest I’ve played cricket in my life , cat funt I am 
    I’m excited and nervous like a big kid .. 
    boffin playing for one’s passed his driving test the other week and I’m lining him up to drive me home pissed if we win but he’s refusing (not had my company in the car yet cos I’m too critical 🤦‍♂️ ) and we’ll lose anyway ffs ever the optimist 

good luck to all playing today 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Points in Mid Essex Cricket League 
    16 for a win
    bonus batting points 120=1 140=2 160=3 180=4 200=5
    bonus bowling points every 2 wickets 1 point ….so 8&9= 4 and 10 wickets = 5

we need to win and get 9 bonus points to win the league outrIght or 8 to take it to a tie if the powers that be have worked it out correctly to have a playoff for promotion 

Forgetting us hitting a 6 off the last ball we need oppo to score realistically 159 all out (5 bonus points ) so we can knock them off 160 (3 bonus points ) and tie for second .

my issue is if they’re on 140 for 6 with 2 overs left we need them up to 199 unless we nick 2 wickets when 179 will do but we can’t afford to not be in control of it .

obviously if we bat first 200 , they don’t get the runs and we get 6 wickets to tie 2nd place or 8 wickets to win promotion 

lots of different scenarios to fuck this up with!

Edit : Just checked and they have a better away record so we need 25 points for promotion .
    so 180+ and 10 wickets and a win or 200+ and 8 wickets and a win
    if they bat first it could become farcical if we have them 50-5 

• Options
    Bickley Park went to The Mote in the knowledge that a win might secure them promotion.

Bickley won the toss and elected to field. With the home side 55-1 and in little trouble it did look as though Bickley might be chasing a few. In stepped skipper Elliot Hooper to take the ball and to say fortunes dramatically changed with him doing so is a bit of an understatement - 5 wickets in 8 balls including a hat trick, finishing with 6-17 plus a run out. The only resistance came from opener Harvey who battled for 68 off 116 balls out of a total of 133. Given that there were 28 extras it won't surprise anyone to learn that the other 10 players managed just 37 runs between them. 

Not content with his six fer and run out, Hooper then hit 64 off 62 balls to see Bickley home by 8 wickets. And just to show he's not the selfish individual that his MOM performances in the game would suggest, he had pre-arranged (with the help of his partner and Mum) for the players to go for a barbecue at his house which is just a stone throw away from The Mote. 

As it happened, one suspects that a few beers might have been sunk given that third placed Bromley's game was abandoned (Bromley 94 all out and Beckenham 1-0 at the time) and as a result Bickley are promoted back to the PL at the first time of asking. Some comfort for going down by just the one point last season and potentially they could land the Championship title if they win next week and Canterbury fail to do so because the current leaders conspired to lose by 5 wickets to Dartford mainly as a result of being 99 all out. Here's hoping Super Hooper is in the same form next week!  

How did Hooper come to be at Bickley ? Maidstone to Bickley for Training and Matches can’t be easy every week. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    A special shout out to Leeds and Broomfield CC, who have addicks involved. 
    Promoted yesterday as Champions to the KCL Championship. 
    8th promotion in 14 years with no relegations. Majority of players played at the club since youth level. No paid players. And good enough to easily hold their own next year.  
    (Oh and a little match next Sunday at Lords in the NVC final).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=fDHgbynDsilsTXHz&v=QaIlFaMv40E&feature=youtu.be

Congrats - good to hear a club doing it the right way. 
  • Options
    Interesting to see who replaces Bickley and Canterbury in the championship . 

At the moment it looks like it could be a Premier league trapdoor playoff between Blackheath and Sevenoaks Vine. Didn’t think they would be candidates at the start of the campaign. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bickley Park went to The Mote in the knowledge that a win might secure them promotion.

Bickley won the toss and elected to field. With the home side 55-1 and in little trouble it did look as though Bickley might be chasing a few. In stepped skipper Elliot Hooper to take the ball and to say fortunes dramatically changed with him doing so is a bit of an understatement - 5 wickets in 8 balls including a hat trick, finishing with 6-17 plus a run out. The only resistance came from opener Harvey who battled for 68 off 116 balls out of a total of 133. Given that there were 28 extras it won't surprise anyone to learn that the other 10 players managed just 37 runs between them. 

Not content with his six fer and run out, Hooper then hit 64 off 62 balls to see Bickley home by 8 wickets. And just to show he's not the selfish individual that his MOM performances in the game would suggest, he had pre-arranged (with the help of his partner and Mum) for the players to go for a barbecue at his house which is just a stone throw away from The Mote. 

As it happened, one suspects that a few beers might have been sunk given that third placed Bromley's game was abandoned (Bromley 94 all out and Beckenham 1-0 at the time) and as a result Bickley are promoted back to the PL at the first time of asking. Some comfort for going down by just the one point last season and potentially they could land the Championship title if they win next week and Canterbury fail to do so because the current leaders conspired to lose by 5 wickets to Dartford mainly as a result of being 99 all out. Here's hoping Super Hooper is in the same form next week!  

How did Hooper come to be at Bickley ? Maidstone to Bickley for Training and Matches can’t be easy every week. 

He teaches at Trinity School in Croydon (as do two of the other players) and up until this summer was renting in Bickley but he and his partner bought a place together in Maidstone (not sure if that is where she is from). Training is hardly an issue for April to July as it's on his way home and some of the away games are as near for him, if not nearer anyway as in the case of The Mote. His parents live in Sussex and come to every single home and away games so travelling is clearly not an issue to the family!

Not quite the same as the former international cricketer who has been playing in the Kent League for a number of years and who flies in from Holland every weekend!!!
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    A special shout out to Leeds and Broomfield CC, who have addicks involved. 
    Promoted yesterday as Champions to the KCL Championship. 
    8th promotion in 14 years with no relegations. Majority of players played at the club since youth level. No paid players. And good enough to easily hold their own next year.  
    (Oh and a little match next Sunday at Lords in the NVC final).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=fDHgbynDsilsTXHz&v=QaIlFaMv40E&feature=youtu.be

The Treasurer and father of the big hitting club captain used to be in the year below me at school and I used to play football with his brother too. Congratulations to them. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Interesting to see who replaces Bickley and Canterbury in the championship . 

At the moment it looks like it could be a Premier league trapdoor playoff between Blackheath and Sevenoaks Vine. Didn’t think they would be candidates at the start of the campaign. 

If the Vine (167) beat Blackheath (160), then the latter will be down. However, If Blackheath win then Hayes (167) and Sandwich (168) could go down if they lose to Minster and Bexley respectively as it will all come down to bonus points achieved by those teams and the Vine. I don't think anyone had last year's PL Champions, Hayes, as candidates for relegation but Sandwich certainly would have been given that they only survived on the final day of last season by one point. 

• Options
    Congratulations to Seb's two former clubs (for which he and I are still social members of) Sidcup 1s and Bexley 2s who are promoted to the 3rd tier from Division 2 to Division 1. Bexley 1s lost to Tunbridge Wells yesterday so are out of the PL title race but still have the National Club Final to look forward to.