Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear! Just one scoring shot in the Augustians' innings:

https://augustinianswoodhouse.play-cricket.com/website/results/4710600
    The keeper needs shooting too for conceding a third of the opposition runs!
  • Options
    Oh dear! Just one scoring shot in the Augustians' innings:

https://augustinianswoodhouse.play-cricket.com/website/results/4710600
    The keeper needs shooting too for conceding a third of the opposition runs!
    Never really did rate Imran Khan...
  • Options
    whats happened with playing numbers this season ? Is everyone flocking back to club cricket ?  
    I know that Sidcup have been able to get more sides out for friendlies this year than they have in previous for League match weekends. And all their colt age group numbers are massively up.
    I'm doing Sidcup 1's at Hayes tomorrow...is Seb playing?
  • Options
    Depends on the weather round these parts! Rain rain stay away...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    whats happened with playing numbers this season ? Is everyone flocking back to club cricket ?  
    I know that Sidcup have been able to get more sides out for friendlies this year than they have in previous for League match weekends. And all their colt age group numbers are massively up.
    Oh yes - he won't be keeping as he opens and doesn't want to do both if he can avoid doing so. And I will be scoring so it will be a great opportunity for us to meet at last. Going to be a tough one for Sidcup with Messrs Blake and MacVicar in opposition!

Fingers crossed for the weather.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Interesting cafc fact ...seb will be opening with john Fogarty...the son of Billy Fogarty who played a few games for us in the 70s before going on to gillingham 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Interesting cafc fact ...seb will be opening with john Fogarty...the son of Billy Fogarty who played a few games for us in the 70s before going on to gillingham 
    Wasn't aware of that. Just found an article about the '80-'81 Dartford team that had Billy Fogarty, Willie O'Sullivan, Tony Burman and the sadly departed Ray Tumbridge in it - who all played for us:

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/unused/where-are-they-now/6671/dartford-1980-81-southern-league-southern-winners/

• Options
    lolwray said:
    Pedro45 said:
    What a fortunate son!  B)
  • Options
    Squeezed a game in before the heavens opened 
    reduced to 35 overs and we bowled out Galleywood 3rd Xl for 65 in 30 odd overs 
    I took my first league wicket in over 12 years …bowled 6 overs 1 for 15 and at one stage it was me and son bowling in tandem he bowled 8 overs 1 for 20 (these are guesstimates, my memories shit ) 
    we knocked the runs off without loss 
    I think my arm may fall off .
    oppos scorer was a Wycombe fan and he took great delight in telling me his first Valley visit was for the infamous League Cup quarter final defeat for us , proper fan had been to 60 odd grounds with Wycombe .
    Classic in the field today ,  when I was bowling,  their fella hit a skier and our fielder made a huge shout of his name, rightfully so he was nearest to it, as two went towards it and just before it came down and too late he shouted yours to the other fella who had stopped and was nowhere near it 🙄
  • Options
    Monty Panesar turned up today playing for Twickenham cricket club in a  Middlesex league derby match vs Teddington on Twickenham Green. He’s doing a masters degree in sports journalism around the corner bar St Mary’s University and, as a Brentford supporter, has joined their content team.

Sadly, we missed his bowling during the Under 18s game and he didn’t get on to bat before the start of the FA Cup Final. Both great results, mind 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleasure to meet @Addick Addict today and watch SEB bat, Shame he couldn't have clung on to that catch inside the boundary. 

Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Will MacVicar has been arguably the most valuable player  in the Premier League over the past few years. 

Curious why he dropped to league 1 ? 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Pedro45 said:
    Pleasure to meet @Addick Addict today and watch SEB bat, Shame he couldn't have clung on to that catch inside the boundary. 

Good luck for the rest of the season.
    And likewise a pleasure to meet you too @Pedro45
  • Options
    Will MacVicar has been arguably the most valuable player  in the Premier League over the past few years. 

I was told that he wanted to play with his friend again, Alex Blake who is now head of colts coaching at Hayes. And no I am not aware if MacVicar is being paid or not to do so.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Oh my, what a day. A maiden ton from Ash Junior on a tricky pitch at New Ifield. I’m in cricketing heaven. 
    Many congratulations to the lad. I hope that the bar was open for Dad to duly do the honours!
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Oh my, what a day. A maiden ton from Ash Junior on a tricky pitch at New Ifield. I’m in cricketing heaven. 
    Many congratulations to the lad. I hope that the bar was open for Dad to duly do the honours!
    Oh yes, honours were done! 
  • Options

I was told that he wanted to play with his friend again, Alex Blake who is now head of colts coaching at Hayes. And no I am not aware if MacVicar is being paid or not to do so.

Got to respect that , playing the game for enjoyment is what it’s all about. 
  • Options
    According to the Kent League podcast this week one of the top international batsmen in recent years, who has been desperately short of runs playing for Glamorgan, might be making a return appearance for Sandwich today. It probably won't happen but should it do so then Bickley just need to remember that Labuschagne is only human and it only takes one ball to get him out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another cruise for us against Raynes 2nds we restricted them to 102-6 off 40 overs 
    I bowled 3 overs 1 wicket  for 2 
    son bowled 9 overs 0 wickets for 9
    we knocked em off for 3 wickets although 39-3 i was thinking here we go .
    4 wins 1 loss and top of the league for us and firsts are top as well , in a new league and have gone in to divisions too low unfortunately but teams keep winning toss and batting instead of putting us in , I suppose they wanted to get back for Champions League final yesterday.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    If Sidcup 1s stole a draw against Hayes a couple of weeks ago, they were guilty of a bad case of "self harming" yesterday!

Having put Folkestone into bat, they had them at 55-6 (including their South African U19 first ball) but then proceeded to drop 5 catches allowing the opposition to reach 174 all out. At 53-0 off 10 Sidcup were cruising but  with Seb starting the collapse (albeit with one that pitched outside leg and took the top of off) they ended up 151 all out - 24 short of their target with 13 overs still to go! 

A poor day at the office.
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone saw what happened in the Broadstairs v Ashford game on Saturday but there was one rather spectacular performance. 
    Broadstairs were 123 all out and in reply Ashford collapsed from 21-0 to 44 all out. In fact, their last 7 wickets went for 4 runs with Chris Kidd returning figures of 6.3-5-2-7 and one of his two runs conceded was a wide!

Some 30 plus years ago Kidd once captained Kent U11 vs Lancs U11 where his opposite number was someone called Andrew Flintoff. Kidd almost made it as a pro and whilst I don't know what happened to Flintoff  I very much doubt that he ever hit the heights in the game of taking 7-2 in the KCL Division 2.
    Yes, I noticed that one.  Chris is a good player, and loves Broadstairs so keeps playing for them when he could be at a higher level. 

I went to watch the 2020 T20 final at Tunbridge Wells on Sunday and ended up umpiring the first seven overs from square leg as the named umpire was stuck in traffic. Home side beat a gallant Old Wilsonians by 50-odd runs (153 vs c103), but OW's won the biggest sixes of the match competition with two enormous ones into the car park!
  • Options
    @Addickted2TheReds narrowly avoided having to delete his CL account yesterday, having promised to do so if I'd claimed my maiden five wicket haul. I was on for it with one over left in my spell, and a few close calls came with no cigar.

Waggoners had a rather good day against a youthful Beckenham side that was perhaps somewhat hamstrung by the fact I had both A2TR and @BR3red playing for the Waggoners (big thanks to the latter for some excellent catching off my bowling!).

Colfes 4s also did alright against Beckenham 5s on Saturday - our new keeper getting an imperious 97, perishing in the final over aiming to repeat the shot that took him from 93 to 97 the ball before. We scored a very meaty-looking 221-7 off our 40 which was always going to be too much. Another new recruit (who looked - and I must stress this - absolutely village in the 1s the week before, conceding 20 off his two quite poor overs, and not wearing spikes) came on to take 5-7 as we restricted the Bees to 125 all out. He was bowling quick, flat, and turning it massive - clearly he's better than the 4s but equally he'd have had some balls pumped by 1s players.

Three days of cricket in a row and I've got 27-4-80-5 (including the beer match against Beckenham yesterday as well), and I'm absolutely in bits. Ugh. But I love it.
  • Options
    I’m in bits too, having kept wicket for the first time in over 30 years in the OCs Sunday friendly at Sidcup. A maiden career stumping at the age of 58 and only 3 byes in 40 overs, not too shabby. We won by 4 wickets chasing 146 due to our debutant opening bowler going in at 86-6 and smashing a violent 42 not out. One of his three 6s took out an neighbouring outhouse roof. (I was next in, so yet another DNB for my collection). 
  • Options
    Oh, in other news, Whitstable won by ten wickets on Saturday in Div III, chasing Orpington's 174/9 off 50 down in 18.1 overs.

A certain B Gould ended on an imperious 139*, his innings including 11 fours and 13 sixes! Quite an astonishing display of batting and fair enough.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    I’m in bits too, having kept wicket for the first time in over 30 years in the OCs Sunday friendly at Sidcup. A maiden career stumping at the age of 58 and only 3 byes in 40 overs, not too shabby. We won by 4 wickets chasing 146 due to our debutant opening bowler going in at 86-6 and smashing a violent 42 not out. One of his three 6s took out an neighbouring outhouse roof. (I was next in, so yet another DNB for my collection). 
    I assume it was a smart leg-side stumping standing up to the debutant quick and you are just being modest.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Oh, in other news, Whitstable won by ten wickets on Saturday in Div III, chasing Orpington's 174/9 off 50 down in 18.1 overs.

A certain B Gould ended on an imperious 139*, his innings including 11 fours and 13 sixes! Quite an astonishing display of batting and fair enough.
    @cantersaddick and I went to uni with Buzz and the guy's got an incredible eye. Was part of a very very good team which won the indoor national championships as well. 
  • Options
    days like this, clear skies, slight breeze, not too hot, that I sooooo regret being too old and creaky to be able to play a worthwhile game of cricket .. Ahhhh well ((:>)