Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    @Pedro45

are you a league umpire assigned to games or are you linked to a club and take one end of their games 
    KCL Panel umpire. ;-)
    Image result for ooh youre hard gif
    But fair!
  • Pedro45 said:
    Only two games started in the KCL, but neither got to halfway. 

The forecast is not great for this week and the ground I'm standing at does not dry too well but I'm hopeful. 
    Forecast seems to be looking better now. Which might be just as well as wasted journeys to Tenterden on Saturday and Crouch End on Sunday wouldn't go down too well with the boy!
  • Nine wicket win on Saturday. Wilsonians were admittedly really weak and only had ten, but we bowled with great credit. Their bowling attack was pretty weak and we coasted home.

Got to bowl at a Sri Lankan FC cricketer on Sunday, and the Frinton-on-Sea CC skipper. It was a real eye-opener as to just how good top amateur players. I bowled a spell that would've been very difficult at 4s level, and decent for 1s level (! - that's what a couple of the Downham lads said, anyway), but anything ever so slightly off the line was marmalised on an absolute road of a track with a short boundary. 

Ah well. Felt in a good rhythm, so hopefully the two-week break before we play the other two promotion contenders in Div 1C Met/West isn't too disruptive!
  • I too bowled at two Beckenham 2s players and only went for my first (and second) boundaries in my 7th and final over. (If I'd bowled like that at OWs it would have been 6 overs for about 3, I swear)

What we learn from this is that our 4-man 4s spin attack is in amazing form and we should only bowl spin from now on, or something ;) 
  • Leuth said:
    I too bowled at two Beckenham 2s players and only went for my first (and second) boundaries in my 7th and final over. (If I'd bowled like that at OWs it would have been 6 overs for about 3, I swear)

What we learn from this is that our 4-man 4s spin attack is in amazing form and we should only bowl spin from now on, or something ;) 
    Got to have Sohid and Steve doing bits with the ball if I can though!

I think I'm going to have to put team above giving everyone a game in the run-in. It's a shame that Ben is not only one of our best batsmen, but also easily the best bowler in the league with combined figures of 35.5-11-75-12 (thus an average of 6.25 and economy of 2.09), so I'll have to sacrifice a bit of playing time somewhere.

Great to have Andy our quick back in a rhythm last game, too. 3-20 is a decent return, and he was properly sharp. We had at one point a field of two slips; a gully; third man; short fine leg; short extra cover; short leg; cover; and mid-wicket. Proper test match stuff.
  • The windy weather made yesterday's game one of the hardest I have ever umpired.  Wind at my back blowing me forwards, so had to brace constantly, plus with trees rustling and the roaring noise in my ears made hearing anything difficult.  Bails blew off over 40 times; sightscreen blew over and had to be propped up; hats flying over the outfield and at one point the 'keepers helmet just started to roll across the outfield behind him for about 15 yards. Roll on Summer!
  • Pedro45 said:
    The windy weather made yesterday's game one of the hardest I have ever umpired.  Wind at my back blowing me forwards, so had to brace constantly, plus with trees rustling and the roaring noise in my ears made hearing anything difficult.  Bails blew off over 40 times; sightscreen blew over and had to be propped up; hats flying over the outfield and at one point the 'keepers helmet just started to roll across the outfield behind him for about 15 yards. Roll on Summer!
    With no 4s game (bye week), I was asked to umpire the 1s. An easy 180-run win, as Walmer only had 10 and batted really quite poorly, but it was havoc. I took the decision to play without bails which confused everyone to an extent, and the wind meant decisions were that much more difficult. Thankfully both sets said I umpired well given the conditions (and Walmer made allusions to others in our league!), which was a relief.

Huge game next week though. If we beat CUACO then promotion is in our hands. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    The windy weather made yesterday's game one of the hardest I have ever umpired.  Wind at my back blowing me forwards, so had to brace constantly, plus with trees rustling and the roaring noise in my ears made hearing anything difficult.  Bails blew off over 40 times; sightscreen blew over and had to be propped up; hats flying over the outfield and at one point the 'keepers helmet just started to roll across the outfield behind him for about 15 yards. Roll on Summer!
    With no 4s game (bye week), I was asked to umpire the 1s. An easy 180-run win, as Walmer only had 10 and batted really quite poorly, but it was havoc. I took the decision to play without bails which confused everyone to an extent, and the wind meant decisions were that much more difficult. Thankfully both sets said I umpired well given the conditions (and Walmer made allusions to others in our league!), which was a relief.

Huge game next week though. If we beat CUACO then promotion is in our hands. 
    I suggested to my colleague that we should consider no bails but he said them blowing off once an over was ok...I didn't agree but we kept going. Well done you for umpiring and dispensing with the bails. Good luck next week!
  • @Addickted2TheReds - just doing my standard Monday KCL/KRCL badgering and notice you lot struggled to 125 off your 40 overs, with one bloke carrying his bat for 46*!! What the hell happened there - shit track/wind?
  • edited August 2019
    Today Bexley 1s played against Acton in the semi final of the Club Cricket Conference which they won and will now meet East Moseley in the final at Brentwood CC on 15th September. Seb kept and took a stumping and a run out but the highlight was a fantastic catch by Matt Stiddard.

The match was covered by Acton CC You Tube and if you get a chance watch the last ball of the 4th over for the catch in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS6D2KlLsrY

• Sponsored links:

• Today Bexley 1s played against Acton in the semi final of the Club Cricket Conference which they won and will now meet East Moseley in the final at Brentwood CC on 15th September. Seb kept and took a stumping and a run out but the highlight was a fantastic catch by Matt Stiddard.

The match was covered by Acton CC You Tube and if you get a chance watch the last ball of the 4th over for the catch in question:

Anywhere else (other than slip) and we'd have missed it! Did he know he was on TV when he did that? Good catch, but not as good as Denly's!
  • That is an absolutely unreal grab. Fair play.
  • Also - he's listed as "Unsure" on the play-cricket scorecard! Haha.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Also - he's listed as "Unsure" on the play-cricket scorecard! Haha.
    The only "unsure" on the card too. This has now been duly amended.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Today Bexley 1s played against Acton in the semi final of the Club Cricket Conference which they won and will now meet East Moseley in the final at Brentwood CC on 15th September. Seb kept and took a stumping and a run out but the highlight was a fantastic catch by Matt Stiddard.

Anywhere else (other than slip) and we'd have missed it! Did he know he was on TV when he did that? Good catch, but not as good as Denly's!
    Isn't Matt Stiddard the Bexley 1st team keeper ? what was he doing out there !!!
  • Pedro45 said:

Isn't Matt Stiddard the Bexley 1st team keeper ? what was he doing out there !!!
    It's a case of busted fingers all round. Stids has one and had to keep on Saturday with it in the absence of Matt Cross (playing for Scotland) but it is pushing it to ask him to do both days in the circumstances. Hence Seb deputised - albeit that he has a thumb injury that he is nursing too!

It worked out well as Stids took the catch that set the tone for the rest of our fielding and Seb didn't do anything wrong with the gloves with a stumping (over 13.1 on the You Tube), run out (24.2) and another very close stumping not given (17.3).  
  • @Leuth has bowled his off-spinners very nicely this season and has earned a promotion from @PaddyP17’s team to my (sadly misfiring) OC 3s. And he bowled very tidily for me yesterday on a flat track at HSBC.

The bad news is that I can no longer bat or catch after turning 56 and recently retiring from work, whereas last season, at 55 and still working, I could still do both of those things quite competently. All a bit worrying - I was hoping to play more cricket now I finally have more time on my hands, but may need to be “put out to grass” sooner rather than later.
  • Scorecard from yesterday would indicate you may have a future as a death bowler!
  • Leuth said:
    Scorecard from yesterday would indicate you may have a future as a death bowler!
    Yeah, was ok considering I was bowling to a 3/3 field by the end when we were down to 8 men. 

The nice thing about yesterday was the decision to reduce the match to 30 overs a side due to the heat. This provided scope for a glorious extended tea interval to watch the Stokes/Leach partnership. 
  • Down to eight men?! What the hell was that about?
  • Sponsored links:

• AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Scorecard from yesterday would indicate you may have a future as a death bowler!
    Yeah, was ok considering I was bowling to a 3/3 field by the end when we were down to 8 men. 

The nice thing about yesterday was the decision to reduce the match to 30 overs a side due to the heat. This provided scope for a glorious extended tea interval to watch the Stokes/Leach partnership. 
    Surely you can’t just change the rules !!
  • Down to 8 men is disgraceful and I fully condemn whatever layabout/house-tidying moron brought that situation about. Well won btw 
  • Leuth said:
    Down to 8 men is disgraceful and I fully condemn whatever layabout/house-tidying moron brought that situation about. Well won btw 
    Indeed - what actually was your excuse?!
  • MrOneLung said:
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:

That’s the beauty of a Sunday friendly - you can make up your own rules! 
  • My excuse was the truth - that I'm going on a short trip today and hadn't remotely prepared! Back for Saturday of course, if this gross dereliction of duty can be forgiven. And let's face it, I'd have probably been bowling and thus depriving you of glory...and we'd have probably lost ;)
  • (And no, I wasn't skiving off to watch the Test - I'd always pick playing over watching!)
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Down to eight men?! What the hell was that about?
    We did have a total of 11 different players - just not all at the same time. One of these turned up in flip-flops to watch the closing overs and was co-opted to field for 5 overs until his dinner time. Another departed soon after having his bat (no prizes for guesswork there). Was a bit shambolic tbh. Fortunately the oppo collapsed, probably from laughter, after being 70-0 at halfway chasing 140.
  • Well told! I can only surmise that my stint as the 3s' main spinner has lasted the day it took for our illustrious captain to discover his own renaissant powers 
  • AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Down to eight men?! What the hell was that about?
    We did have a total of 11 different players - just not all at the same time. One of these turned up in flip-flops to watch the closing overs and was co-opted to field for 5 overs until his dinner time. Another departed soon after having his bat (no prizes for guesswork there). Was a bit shambolic tbh. Fortunately the oppo collapsed, probably from laughter, after being 70-0 at halfway chasing 140.
    I presume the first one was Jason, and the second could have been anyone, but I assume it was your opening partner...!
  • AshBurton said:
    MrOneLung said:
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:

That’s the beauty of a Sunday friendly - you can make up your own rules! 
    Bloody bank holiday mucking up my days. 

Thought was a Saturday league game !!