Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Interesting that Surrey's squad players when not playing on a saturday are obliged to go and play for one fo the Surrey prem clubs and cant be paid for playing . Raises the standard of the league and does bankrupt the clubs at the same time - Thoughts ?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

AshBurton said:

Belated congratulations on your 21st, Joe! Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Both surprised and sorry to hear from you and @Addick Addict that Beckenham find themselves in a rebuilding phase - especially after the successes the club enjoyed last season.

The congratulations aren't belated - I'm not 21 until the 26th July! But we thought we'd make the most of smashing Surrey by getting smashed ourselves and thought I'd do a hospitality job!

So essentially the 2s really struggled last year and we lost about 7 players from them, and then we lost three for the 1s. So ten players from the top two teams is pretty catastrophic.

That, combined with the fact that all of the other teams got promoted last year, plus we added another team into the league system, leaves us in this situation.

It's no biggie, we're not the first club this has happened to - we'll bounce back. There is no way the 1s will be relegated, which is the main thing and the rest of us are just enjoying the beer!
    I think Hartley said that last year...and Bromley the year before that!
    Speaking of Hartley, anyone know why/when Andy Tutt stepped down? Doesn't seem to have played at all this season...
    I spoke to Tutty on Saturday as he was watching the 2s match with his two youngest kids. He fractured shoulder which is why he hasn't been playing but hopes to be back playing in 2-3 weeks.
  • Options

Interesting that Surrey's squad players when not playing on a saturday are obliged to go and play for one fo the Surrey prem clubs and cant be paid for playing . Raises the standard of the league and does bankrupt the clubs at the same time - Thoughts ?

The same is meant to happen at Kent and it does on occasions but only usually when a player needs to find some form or is coming back from injury.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Pedro45 said:

AshBurton said:

Belated congratulations on your 21st, Joe! Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Both surprised and sorry to hear from you and @Addick Addict that Beckenham find themselves in a rebuilding phase - especially after the successes the club enjoyed last season.

The congratulations aren't belated - I'm not 21 until the 26th July! But we thought we'd make the most of smashing Surrey by getting smashed ourselves and thought I'd do a hospitality job!

So essentially the 2s really struggled last year and we lost about 7 players from them, and then we lost three for the 1s. So ten players from the top two teams is pretty catastrophic.

That, combined with the fact that all of the other teams got promoted last year, plus we added another team into the league system, leaves us in this situation.

It's no biggie, we're not the first club this has happened to - we'll bounce back. There is no way the 1s will be relegated, which is the main thing and the rest of us are just enjoying the beer!
    I think Hartley said that last year...and Bromley the year before that!
    Speaking of Hartley, anyone know why/when Andy Tutt stepped down? Doesn't seem to have played at all this season...
    I spoke to Tutty on Saturday as he was watching the 2s match with his two youngest kids. He fractured shoulder which is why he hasn't been playing but hopes to be back playing in 2-3 weeks.
    That would certainly explain it - good stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Seb was invited to trial for the annual fundraiser for Leigh Academy against the PCA (used to be against Lashings) on the 29th June at Bexley. Whilst he doesn't go there, the side to play the PCA comes under the Academy banner and is made up of local school and club cricketers.

The good news for Seb is that he has made the team (and is the youngest to do so this year) and whilst he probably won't keep, as that will probably be an 18 year old who has done it for the last couple of years, he is due to bat at 5 against a PCA side with the following confirmed so far:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

It will be a fantastic experience for him to play against that lot especially with a number of them being former England internationals - and I wouldn't mind betting that the likes of Cork, Tudor and Hoggard are still pretty useful with the ball.

I watched that game last year and although it was pretty one sided The PCA side had Denly , Nixon etc in the ranks as well as the names listed above, i am sure it was a great learning experience. I am sure seb will have a great time. The Leigh bowled and fielded well but struggled with the bat. Whats the strength of the leigh team this year, if i can get the time off work i may pop down again. Last year one lad took a wonder catch in the outfield to dismiss Denly. I seem to remember the boys keeper from last year took a big snick from Mal Loye standing up to the opening bowler and batted well , i think he also won the man of the match ? Is this the same keeper ?
    The keeper to which you refer is an 18 year old who left Bexley a few weeks ago to join Beckenham and is playing in their 3s with @Addickted2TheReds. He's a good keeper but things didn't work out for him at the end of last season and the beginning of this in so far as he got injured and Seb took his place in the U19s, 2s and Dyno teams. Seb retained his place in the 2s this season so he opted to make the move rather than fight for his place - although, it has to be said, that Seb is "happy" to bat at 8 for those sides (he is still only 15) and open for the Development X1 on a Sunday whereas I think the other lad would have wanted a batting spot too. He will be keeping in the PCA game and hopefully Seb will get that opportunity to do so in years to come.

I have to say that the Leigh side, from a batting perspective, is not strong on paper as it has been although one or two of them are very capable of a big score. In previous years, however, they've had the likes of Jimmy Peirson, Sam Heazlett (both Queensland now) and Ollie Robinson playing who have all gone on to earn pro contracts.
  • Options

The same is meant to happen at Kent and it does on occasions but only usually when a player needs to find some form or is coming back from injury.
    But they are usually being paid to do so ? I heard a rumour that one player was offered four figures to play in an end of season relegation decider last year.....which cant be good for the league.
  • Options

But they are usually being paid to do so ? I heard a rumour that one player was offered four figures to play in an end of season relegation decider last year.....which cant be good for the league.
    You are correct in that respect and I heard that story too - an England international if we are talking about the same player and same relegation decider. But he was injured I believe so couldn't play.

Mind you there's one team in the KRCL Premier Division who, I believe pay most of their team and don't have any current CC players in the side. But they do have a few ex pros, at least one Minor Counties player and a former England international. They still couldn't get promoted last year to the KL.
  • Options

You are correct in that respect and I heard that story too - an England international if we are talking about the same player and same relegation decider. But he was injured I believe so couldn't play.

Mind you there's one team in the KRCL Premier Division who, I believe pay most of their team and don't have any current CC players in the side. But they do have a few ex pros, at least one Minor Counties player and a former England international. They still couldn't get promoted last year to the KL.
    Roebucks? If it is them, I know a couple of their guys from back in the Colfes days. Irfan is a tool. And I presume you'd know Yavar from when he batted for Bexley?

Absolutely ridiculous that they're down there, but also very, very funny.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Roebucks? If it is them, I know a couple of their guys from back in the Colfes days. Irfan is a tool. And I presume you'd know Yavar from when he batted for Bexley?

Absolutely ridiculous that they're down there, but also very, very funny.
    Bexley 3s beat them a couple of weeks ago but I see @Addickted2TheReds side played them on Saturday so he might be able to tell you a bit more about them.
  • Options

you cant just "rope in" an ex pro /current pro for the last 3 games of the season for instance.The only exception would be someone who had always played for that club concerned...James Tredwell for example
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Seb was invited to trial for the annual fundraiser for Leigh Academy against the PCA (used to be against Lashings) on the 29th June at Bexley. Whilst he doesn't go there, the side to play the PCA comes under the Academy banner and is made up of local school and club cricketers.

The good news for Seb is that he has made the team (and is the youngest to do so this year) and whilst he probably won't keep, as that will probably be an 18 year old who has done it for the last couple of years, he is due to bat at 5 against a PCA side with the following confirmed so far:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

It will be a fantastic experience for him to play against that lot especially with a number of them being former England internationals - and I wouldn't mind betting that the likes of Cork, Tudor and Hoggard are still pretty useful with the ball.

I watched that game last year and although it was pretty one sided The PCA side had Denly , Nixon etc in the ranks as well as the names listed above, i am sure it was a great learning experience. I am sure seb will have a great time. The Leigh bowled and fielded well but struggled with the bat. Whats the strength of the leigh team this year, if i can get the time off work i may pop down again. Last year one lad took a wonder catch in the outfield to dismiss Denly. I seem to remember the boys keeper from last year took a big snick from Mal Loye standing up to the opening bowler and batted well , i think he also won the man of the match ? Is this the same keeper ?
    The keeper to which you refer is an 18 year old who left Bexley a few weeks ago to join Beckenham and is playing in their 3s with @Addickted2TheReds. He's a good keeper but things didn't work out for him at the end of last season and the beginning of this in so far as he got injured and Seb took his place in the U19s, 2s and Dyno teams. Seb retained his place in the 2s this season so he opted to make the move rather than fight for his place - although, it has to be said, that Seb is "happy" to bat at 8 for those sides (he is still only 15) and open for the Development X1 on a Sunday whereas I think the other lad would have wanted a batting spot too. He will be keeping in the PCA game and hopefully Seb will get that opportunity to do so in years to come.

I have to say that the Leigh side, from a batting perspective, is not strong on paper as it has been although one or two of them are very capable of a big score. In previous years, however, they've had the likes of Jimmy Peirson, Sam Heazlett (both Queensland now) and Ollie Robinson playing who have all gone on to earn pro contracts.
    I didnt realise he was a Bexley player . He was just one of the kids that stood out as being a real class act and i would have thought he would have been knocking on the door of the 1st XI not playing in the 2s !! I guess Bexleys loss is Beckenhams gain.

How come Aussies can play for the Leigh side ?
  • Options
    It's always good to see how the Gould family did on Saturday. This particular week they played Blackheath Wanderers and beat them by 6 wickets in reaching their target of 140 in less than 13 overs:

Byron 53 off 21 balls plus 12-1-39-3
    Sully 44 off 24 balls and kept wicket
    Josh 12 off 9 balls plus 12-5-28-3
    Graham DNB and 6-2-21-1

Five of the other players in the team scored an 8* and bowled one over between them. I just hope that they enjoyed their tea!

• Options

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

I didnt realise he was a Bexley player . He was just one of the kids that stood out as being a real class act and i would have thought he would have been knocking on the door of the 1st XI not playing in the 2s !! I guess Bexleys loss is Beckenhams gain.

Because they were at Bexley at the time.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

you cant just "rope in" an ex pro /current pro for the last 3 games of the season for instance.The only exception would be someone who had always played for that club concerned...James Tredwell for example
    The guy i heard about had been registered , but hadnt played most of the season, but suddenly appeared for this match .....
  • Options
    lolwray said:

The player that I am referring to did have a history of playing for that Club but hadn't done so since 2013
  • Options

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

Because they were at Bexley at the time.
    And Leigh have always had a bit of "poetic licence" as they want to give the PCA/Lashings some sort of game
  • Options

lolwray said:

The guy i heard about had been registered , but hadnt played most of the season, but suddenly appeared for this match .....
    I think we are probably talking about a different game/player because the one I am referring to didn't actually play.
  • Options

The Kent Regional Prem is a really tough league. It is a much tougher standard than many of the kent league divisions. There are usually very aspirational sides , like Staplehurst , Kings Hill , Roebucks, Littlebourne etc who will chuck a load of money into getting promoted to the Kent League. If Roebucks want to pay all of their 1st XI players - then isnt that the same ethics as the 1st XI prem sides paying theirs ??
  • Options

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

Absolutely - but for him and Seb the only way that they would currently break into the Bexley 1s would be as a bat as they have Matt Stiddard (played Sussex 2s a couple of weeks ago and Kent 2s last season), Callum Basey (Kent 2s last season) and Matt Cross (current Scotland keeper).
  • Options

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

Absolutely - but for him and Seb the only way that they would currently break into the Bexley 1s would be as a bat as they have Matt Stiddard (played Sussex 2s a couple of weeks ago and Kent 2s last season), Callum Basey (Kent 2s last season) and Matt Cross (current Scotland keeper).
    Bit of a dead end at Bexley for aspirational keepers then !! How do they keep 3 x keepers happy in the 1s ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

Bit of a dead end at Bexley for aspirational keepers then !! How do they keep 3 x keepers happy in the 1s ?
    Well, Matt Cross is almost certainly being paid a wedge - and they're all very decent bats in their own right, so I presume that's a big pull.

@Addick Addict what will this mean for Seb going forward, though?
  • Options

The Kent Regional Prem is a really tough league. It is a much tougher standard than many of the kent league divisions. There are usually very aspirational sides , like Staplehurst , Kings Hill , Roebucks, Littlebourne etc who will chuck a load of money into getting promoted to the Kent League. If Roebucks want to pay all of their 1st XI players - then isnt that the same ethics as the 1st XI prem sides paying theirs ??
    Not really, as the KCL Prem sides are six divisions higher! It is generally frowned upon if teams pay more than a couple of the team, one of which may be an overseas (although by paying I mean whatever is allowed under their particular visa). Certainly one KCL prem team pays many of their side, and have picked up a number of good players from other Prem sides this year after promotion (because they will pay them).

At my club, we have an overseas player who we fund (in accordance with HO regs obviously), but we have tried to sign other players but they have said they will only play if we pay them (and don't have to pay a match or annual sub) which we always refuse.

We actually play Roebucks in a PSF (rained off this year) and it's a good test for us; I didn't know they paid many other than maybe Thompson and Lewis?

The Kent players are allocated to a club, and will play when available (released by the county); Tredders has always been at Folkestone I think. Others get games as fixtures allow.
  • Options

Absolutely - but it does make it pleasing when a 3rd team who isn't paid and plays the game for fun does beat one that buys a team.
  • Options

Absolutely - but it does make it pleasing when a 3rd team who isn't paid and plays the game for fun does beat one that buys a team.
    Your own 3rd team of course benefitting from the services of Australia's U18s captain the other day ;) (I know he got out and the game was won by your opener on one leg instead)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Your own 3rd team of course benefitting from the services of Australia's U18s captain the other day ;) (I know he got out and the game was won by your opener on one leg instead)
    Sorry - Australia U18 Captain playing in the 3s and a one legged man ?? Sounds like a game to have watched
  • Options

Leuth said:

Sorry - Australia U18 Captain playing in the 3s and a one legged man ?? Sounds like a game to have watched
    It was!

• Options
    Keep it up guys, this thread is a great read.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

Well, Matt Cross is almost certainly being paid a wedge - and they're all very decent bats in their own right, so I presume that's a big pull.

@Addick Addict what will this mean for Seb going forward, though?
    I don't know about being paid a "wedge" 'cos Bexley isn't a rish club by any means. As I've said before, half the first team has come through the Colts system and all bar one or two of the 2s too.

It's quite a flexible situation but Crossy is happy to let Stids keep if he wants but has requested that if he is due to go off for international duty that he takes the gloves. I think Callum Basey is happy to concentrate on opening but will keep if necessary as when Stids was injured last season and Crossy was away.

As for Seb, he has always been a batsman first and foremost. The leg spin he bowled (up to U11) and then keeping have been his secondary specialisms - the issue has been that his keeping has got him into the 2s as he wouldn't get into the side, such is the strength of our top 6, as a batsman. It was for that reason that he/we elected for him not to trial at Kent this year as the situation might have been that he batted at 8 for the 2s on Saturday and 6 or 7 for Kent on a Sunday. So how would he learn, in those circumstance, to bat for 40 or 50 overs? And in order to get into the 1s he will have to be able to bat in their top 6 but you don't get there without that experience so we will just see how he does this season and take it from there.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Not really, as the KCL Prem sides are six divisions higher! It is generally frowned upon if teams pay more than a couple of the team, one of which may be an overseas (although by paying I mean whatever is allowed under their particular visa). Certainly one KCL prem team pays many of their side, and have picked up a number of good players from other Prem sides this year after promotion (because they will pay them).

At my club, we have an overseas player who we fund (in accordance with HO regs obviously), but we have tried to sign other players but they have said they will only play if we pay them (and don't have to pay a match or annual sub) which we always refuse.

We actually play Roebucks in a PSF (rained off this year) and it's a good test for us; I didn't know they paid many other than maybe Thompson and Lewis?

The Kent players are allocated to a club, and will play when available (released by the county); Tredders has always been at Folkestone I think. Others get games as fixtures allow.
    i dont think KF was comparing the two premier leagues directly ,pointing out that the standard is probably higher than say first team div 5 which is where they aspire to be if promoted ..which it is
  • Options

Leuth said:

You've absolutely lost me there - are you talking about Bexley 3s and if so who is the Australia U18 captain?