Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Athletics Records to be wiped out?

Put forward by the European Athletics project team. All pre 2005 European and World records to be wiped out. This is a bid to restore credibility to the sport and is backed by Seb Coe.
The IAAF is expected to approve the proposal in July and it is likely to come into effect within the next 12 months.

With strength and power records 'fossilised' from steroid abuse in the 70s and endurance peaks recorded in the late 90s to mid 2000s due to EPO there is a case.

Devastating for clean athletes ... a can of worms I think. Is there a better solution to this?

Good discussion on 5 this morning (from about seven minutes)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08nrj2y

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if Coe would be happy if his 800m record still stood?. I am in general agreement with this, how many times have they reset the Javelin WR, due to change is the Javelin? I seem to remember a couple of times because it was going to far.

• Options
    Athletics has lost credibility as a sport not quite sure how wiping out old records helps. It just further highlights how many years Athletics has been rotten.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just let them all dope themselves up to the eyeballs.

Might see a sub 9 second 100m............ from Jacko

That'll make the javelin, discuss and hammer more interesting :-)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just let them all dope themselves up to the eyeballs.

Might see a sub 9 second 100m............ from Jacko

Agreed, you could also have a new category at the Olympics for which nation has the largest number of roid rage murders.
  • Options
    Yet another ruling body preposterously out of touch with the cause they are supposed to protect. The modern mania for "say or do anything" simply because "something" needs to be done. The athletics authorities concertedly 'looked the other way' for generations while the organised cheating ruled the roost. Then gave the anti-doping agencies piss poor resources to combat the well financed, well organised, long established cheats. Finally backed into a corner and forced to do something credible, we shouldn't be surprised to hear them spouting all sorts of drivel and putting up clouds of smoke and walls of mirrors to deflect from their incompetent complicity. We know that Radcliffe, Jackson and Edwards were straight and clean, they know it and on reflection their resentment may subside. They will always have known that their marks could be surpassed and their place in the pantheon succeeded. Retrospectively expunging records set by anyone convicted of doping at any time should be as far as the action goes, it certainly isn't the athletes' fault that ancient samples haven't been retained for retesting. The absence of proof that they were never guilty of cheating isn't good reason to now denigrate their achievements. As we Charlton fans know: being criticised, overtly or implicitly, by a discredited source is nothing to worry about, because nobody respects that source anyway.
  • Options
    What a ridiculous decision. So Edwards, Cram and Radcliffe have lost their world records due to drug cheats. What an insult.
  • Options
    to my mind, 'world records' are unreliable and overrated. Who really cares if 1/10 of a second is shaved off a previous 'best time' or a shot putter adds 1cm to the previous best effort ?
    What counts is medals won in competition, British, Euro, World, Olympic .. winning races and events is the true mark of great athletes
  • Options
    What a crazy proposal. How on earth does re-writing history restore credibility in the sport. Very unfair on 'clean' athletes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only one apostrophe away from sweet release
  • Options

Nooooo, all those great Led Zeppelin recordings have to be saved.

Oh, sorry I thought it said "Atlantic Records"

• Options

Nooooo, all those great Led Zeppelin recordings have to be saved.

Oh, sorry I thought it said "Atlantic Records"

Beat me to it DM

• Options
    utterly stupid decision if the proposal is ratified. History is history - full stop. You cant go round wiping out years of results just because they don't fit in with the new rules. what next - football records expunged because we now have different balls that move more in the air, unlike the old leather ones ? Brian Lara's 375 against England no longer exists because the players now have bigger bats ?

The athletes may still have the medals but records should stand years after the person has left this earth.
  • Options
    Why not have two Olympics....one for those on steroids and the other for the cleanies.
  • Options
    Spurs fans are worried they might wipe all major football trophies prior to 1992
  • Options

to my mind, 'world records' are unreliable and overrated. Who really cares if 1/10 of a second is shaved off a previous 'best time' or a shot putter adds 1cm to the previous best effort ?
    What counts is medals won in competition, British, Euro, World, Olympic .. winning races and events is the true mark of great athletes

Mmmmm agree that winning an event is more important......but can't agree that world records are meaningless and overrated.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39777772

Some interesting repercussions

For example in the Long Jump, Mike Powell from 1991 would be wiped off, as would the previous holder the legendary Bob Beamon jump from 1968!
    Jan Zelezny would also lose his WR, while middle distance runner El Guerrouj would lose 5 WRs...
  • Options
    Just as long as they don't do it in football. It's the main thing we've got over Palace & Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I guess Roger Bannister never ran the sub 4 minute mile either!

What a load of bollocks.

By all means expunge individual world records if sufficient credible evidence exists to do so but sweeping general retrospective action like this is frankly laughable and something Roland or Katrien might have thought up given its stupidity.
  • Options
    I'm conflicted.
    I don't anymore think (GB) athletes are clean just because they say they are/were. But want them to still be heroes.
    But furriners of course all are/were drug cheats and deserve to have their records deleted, their reputations to be traduced and be made to ritually abase themselves at all future world track and field meets
  • Options

Every 1st January just after midnight I run 400m around the block to record the 'fastest time in the world this year'.

Bet your time doesn't beat mine, by my rules you can start before midnight.
  • Options
    1066 never happened, wipe it from the record books.

Whether GB athletes are clean or not only they will know, but this would be a victory for the cheats.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

I guess Roger Bannister never ran the sub 4 minute mile either!

Of course he did.

He was off his trolley though.