Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tesco Today........

Went to Tesco in Norwich today and as I walked through the main entrance I noticed a young girl on the floor, with a very small young dog, and she was feeding it treats. There was also a middle aged couple nearby with them. I walked through and just happened to make a comment to the couple about how cute the dog looked. They told me that it was a 'Service Dog' and that they were training it to get used to people and that Tesco had let them use the store. They also told me that the young (13 year old) girl was their daughter.

Being the inquisitive, nosey git that I am I asked a few more questions. This revealed that the dog (Odee) was training to be a 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder' dog for their daughter. Further polite questioning revealed that their 13 year old daughter was on the beach in Tunisia in June 2015 with her grandparents and had to run away from the lone gunman carrying out the Marauding Firearms Attack that killed 38 people.

Had a quick chat with the young lady and just asked a few questions about Odee and how he knows what to react to if she relapsed at all. She was a lovely young lady who told me that Odee really helped her when she needed it.

Just a pretty special moment, that's all. I did 28 years in military but can't even begin to imagine what that young girl went through on the beach that day.

Comments

• Options
    Good story.

Never really been mentioned how many kids were involved in that atrocity.
    I'm guessing quite a few.
  • Options

I was in Maidstone a few years back standing at a crossing waiting for the lights to change so I could cross a busy road. I glanced to my right and saw a guy looking straight ahead holding a Labrador and the dog was fitted with a yellow hi viz jacket and a special lead.

When the lights changed to red I grabbed the guys arm and said "you are okay with me fella, I will see you across the road" When we reached the other side the guy turned and looked at me and said "I am very pleased there are kind people out there willing to help blind people cross roads however I am not blind, I am training the dog"

:blush::blush::blush:

Kind of similar -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o
  • Options

Good story.

Never really been mentioned how many kids were involved in that atrocity.
    I'm guessing quite a few.

Not sure mate. There were actually an elderly(ish) couple from the Norwich area who were killed. I of course didn't want to ask if she was related to them.
  • Options
    One of the dead was a 75 year old guy that lived just up the road from me.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I love dogs. Great story.
  • Options
    My partner is a psychotherapist, mainly for young kids and teens. We bought a puppy in December, and are currently training her as a therapy dog to work with the kids. Hard work, but she will be wonderful help to the kids.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

My partner is a psychotherapist, mainly for young kids and teens. We bought a puppy in December, and are currently training her as a therapy dog to work with the kids. Hard work, but she will be wonderful help to the kids.

Hardwork, but the rewards are tenfold what you put in. The first smile you get back from a child will break you in half I guarantee you that. Still does me every time and Im big enough to admit it ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    post of the year so far