Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local rugby

What is the current state of rugby in South East London and Kent? Is it thriving? Struggling? Which clubs are doing well? Which are failing?

Part of the reason for this thread is to find out a bit more about the club I used to play for, Old Elthamians, and how, since I hung up my boots, they've had a meteoric rise through the leagues. They now sit in second place in the National League 2S, having gone past 1,000 points for the season today.

When I used to play, the facilities were shocking ("we're defending the deep end in the first half, lads"), the fitness levels were atrocious (pre-season training consisted of passing round a tube of Ralgex before the first game kicked off) and officiating standards (we once had a touch judge who forgot he wasn't playing, caught the ball from a pass and started running with it).

Now, it's ultra-professional, spectators pay to watch, the officials are miked up and the standard of rugby is off the scale, compared to several years ago. They play at a new ground and are developing all areas of the club from youngster, through women's teams and training and ground facilities.

Does anyone know more about the success of Old Elthamians? Or have stories about how other clubs in the area have evolved over the years?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Usually a Blackheath follower but have been to the Elthamians twice this year, both late losses. My mates who follow them seem keen, it's cheap and a good standard of rugby. Missed the 97-7 win though. Will certainly visit next season.

• Options
    Chizz said:

What is the current state of rugby in South East London and Kent? Is it thriving? Struggling? Which clubs are doing well? Which are failing?

Part of the reason for this thread is to find out a bit more about the club I used to play for, Old Elthamians, and how, since I hung up my boots, they've had a meteoric rise through the leagues. They now sit in second place in the National League 2S, having gone past 1,000 points for the season today.

When I used to play, the facilities were shocking ("we're defending the deep end in the first half, lads"), the fitness levels were atrocious (pre-season training consisted of passing round a tube of Ralgex before the first game kicked off) and officiating standards (we once had a touch judge who forgot he wasn't playing, caught the ball from a pass and started running with it).

Now, it's ultra-professional, spectators pay to watch, the officials are miked up and the standard of rugby is off the scale, compared to several years ago. They play at a new ground and are developing all areas of the club from youngster, through women's teams and training and ground facilities.

Does anyone know more about the success of Old Elthamians? Or have stories about how other clubs in the area have evolved over the years?

Rugby at this level is all about money - clubs which have it can and often will shoot up the leagues fairly quickly. OEs signed up a bunch of former Blackheath first and second teamers about 10 yrs ago IIRC and haven't looked back since.

Blackheath are still the senior team in South-East London but Charlton Park have done well recently and are at Twickenham next month in a national cup final.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Chizz said:

Rugby at this level is all about money - clubs which have it can and often will shoot up the leagues fairly quickly. OEs signed up a bunch of former Blackheath first and second teamers about 10 yrs ago IIRC and haven't looked back since.

Blackheath are still the senior team in South-East London but Charlton Park have done well recently and are at Twickenham next month in a national cup final.

Askeans played at a similar level but as @kinveachyaddick mentions plummetted dramatically once the money went. I think they play in Kent Division 2 now, which is the lowest league tier.

Westcombe Park also reached the same level a few years back as well and imploded but not to the same degree as Askeans.

Charlton Park, as mentioned above, did the same but now appear to be on the way back.

Sidcup, whom back when I played in the dark ages (not for Sidcup) were capable of beating Blackheath and other senior sides, seem to bumble along just below National League level in London South and London and South East 1 and 2.

A very potted history of local clubs who've flirted with better things over the past 20 years or so since league rugby came in properly.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

They have a serious backer and a well connected Director of Rugby who used to be heavily involved at Old Dunstonians.
    Money talks, as it did with Askeans many years ago.
    As you say, their rise has been meteoric and it's a great achievement for a club of their stature, but it will get far more difficult for them now.
  • Options
    There backer is a South African who owns Secure Trading, they are paying serious wedge and have been for a few years. Moved to the College sports club a couple of years ago and will have a 4g pitch either next year or year after.
  • Options
    Old Colfeians 1st team got promoted today, my son plays for their U12's. It's an open club now so no links to Colfes School necessary to join. I believe the Head Coach is an Ex England Sevens player.
  • Options

There backer is a South African who owns Secure Trading, they are paying serious wedge and have been for a few years. Moved to the College sports club a couple of years ago and will have a 4g pitch either next year or year after.

Meant to be 2 x 4G pitches and a warm up pitch going in after season finishes.

My eldest is playing there at the moment.

• Options

at this time of night?
  • Options

at this time of night?
    Floodlights
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good weekend for a couple of local clubs. Old Elthamians won a play-off at Sale to earn promotion to National League One (same level as Blackheath so big local derby next season!) and Charlton Park had a day out at HQ - losing narrowly to West Leeds in what sounded an eventful Intermediate Cup Final
  • Options
    Unlikely to be called Old Elthamians for much longer, looking like name change to Elthamians RFC next season
  • Options

Unlikely to be called Old Elthamians for much longer, looking like name change to Elthamians RFC next season

Is that right? Where have you seen that?
  • Options
    Someone told me last week
  • Options
    His son plays there
  • Options

look what South African money did for Saracens