Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson and the Swindon game?

2»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

Can still be a good sqaud player if not a regular.

I actually don't think he can - if he wasn't Johnnie Jackson I don't think anyone would be fussed about giving him a new deal based on his playing ability, especially on the sort of money that I assume he is on. However we are miles short of leadership in our squad and that's a quality that will never leave him.

It's a difficult decision, I love him for being a bit of a rock in difficult times, but (I know this will be unpopular) we've been horrendous in the middle of the park this year and I think Jacksons rapid decline as a player is part of that reason. Either he has to accept a vastly reduced salary to stay on as a squad player or we investigate the coaching thing which would make for an interesting dynamic as JJ clearly has the respect of the players whilst I don't think Karl does.
    Love him to pieces, but his legs went a few seasons ago. It's a big shame with the circumstances, how the promotion Johnnie helped us achieve now counts for nothing, and it doesn't help that he's the only character and leader in the dressing room. He's irreplaceable in that aspect but unfortunately football has no time for sentiment. He will genuinely go down as one of the greatest players to ever wear the Charlton shirt, and hopefully one day maybe our manager.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I've thought about this for a few months, but on the basis he's not announced his retirement I reckon he'll be here next year. Not sure he'll remain captain and his title will no doubt change to 'Player Coach'.

I think it'll be very poor show if he isn't offered a new deal and nor is this announced before the Swindon game to give us time to arrange something, in all honesty it's probably too late now to arrange something fiting of the man who is one of the few reasons I still bother to go to matches......

If they do let him go and he signs elsewhere then I'll be missing for the 1st game next season as I'll be going to wherever he is playing to thank him personally.

The Sunday tabloids gossip column was saying Jackson was in talks with Adelaide City over a one year deal.
  • Options
    Be good for him to get a full 90 mins if it is his last game. As one of the people that did question his role in the team a few times on the time is up thread, overall you cannot say anything other than he has been a legend for us. The goals, the leader, the professional and ultimately the man that he is is right up there with some of the very best we've had. Even more so when you consider what he's had to put up with over the last 3 years
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I've thought about this for a few months, but on the basis he's not announced his retirement I reckon he'll be here next year. Not sure he'll remain captain and his title will no doubt change to 'Player Coach'.

I think it'll be very poor show if he isn't offered a new deal and nor is this announced before the Swindon game to give us time to arrange something, in all honesty it's probably too late now to arrange something fiting of the man who is one of the few reasons I still bother to go to matches......

If they do let him go and he signs elsewhere then I'll be missing for the 1st game next season as I'll be going to wherever he is playing to thank him personally.

He is off to Australia!!
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

He is off to Australia!!
    Don't mind a trip down under :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Whilst unlikely to start the Swindon game, I am sure that he will be on as substitute at some stage. That will be the opportunity for every single Charlton supporter to stand and show their appreciation for everything he has done for the club during the time he has worn the famous red shirt. And, perhaps, a couple of tunnel jumps?
    And I'm sure Johnnie would also appreciate a visual gesture. Perhaps the Club could speak to the ECB about obtaining a supply of the 4's and 6's cards that they use to distribute to county cricket clubs - or perhaps the club could even print their own?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Top scorer in our first season back in the championship remember. He was key to us staying up that year and kept to our late push up the table.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    Bit of an insult giving him a farewell if 2 days later they announce a playing contract extention
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goal against QPR in the last minute was probably the highlight of visits to the valley during the regimes reign.

He has been let down by being made to play on in circumstances / roles that he probably struggled to have the legs to keep up with in recent years but he never hid. And his leadership off the pitch is invaluable which is why you would hope he is retained in some form of coaching role if he isn't offered a playing contract
  • Options

Bit of an insult giving him a farewell if 2 days later they announce a playing contract extention

More about a specific acknowledgment rather than a definitive farewell. If he stays in some capacity - great, if not there's no opportunity to do it
  • Options
    Advertise the game as featuring the "Youtube star Johnnie Jackson!" and it will be a 27K sellout.
  • Options

will be in attendance if this will be his last game, one of the true charlton men in recent years and certainly gave me some good memories the free kick against those chef wendy sods being the best.

this was floating about a few years ago although only ever seen it once;

would be great to get that out.

Needs ratifying by the apostrophe police ;0)
  • Options
    He's got two heads!
  • Options
    That's why he scores so many headed goals