Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The General Election - June 8th 2017

Comments

• Options

The conservatives found the magic money tree after all.

£1bn extra paid to the DUP. 100m per each MP as a bribe to prop them up in power.

The Belfast Telegraph is reporting it as £1.5 billion over two years (so, just over 4 weeks of the savings enthusiastically claimed would be made post-Brexit by a certain Foreign Secretary in last year's campaign).

Value for money by anyone's reckoning....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    Truly disappointing to hear this news.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Truly disappointing to hear this news.

And yet, not that surprising
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Well the one positive is that the Tories can never bring up "magic money tree" again without being totally and utterly ridiculed.

What a shambles.
  • Options
    £500m is old money, just the £1bn is new expenditure.......

Don't know if some of it (or how much) is the winter fuel they didn't scrap, triple lock they didn't either etc.......

Hardly a surprise, the DUP weren't going to do it for free anymore than the Greens, SDP, Lib Dems etc would have if Corbyn tried to form a government.

It does mean my election bets for next year or 2019 are looking OK, should have done 2020 as well :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May should have just dared them to vote against her from the off - she would have had the DUP votes for free that way.
  • Options
    The whole thing really is such a huge god damned mess.

Cheers Dave.
  • Options

They should take the £1.5 bn off the Tory party funds - I object to my taxes going towards this shoddy deal that they didn't even need to make in all honesty! Now watch for the bi-elections!

I'm sure a lot of people object to where their taxes have gone over the years, thought you were all for spending more though, won't this be good for the economy? :wink:

Don't think by-elections are that great an indicator but will be interesting to see the turn out. Think a lot of people have election fatigue, wonder if Brenda has to vote again, she'll be spitting feathers!!
  • Options

Well the one positive is that the Tories can never bring up "magic money tree" again without being totally and utterly ridiculed.

What a shambles.

Sadly experience tell us otherwise and come the next election (spring 2018) exactly the same old bollocks will be rolled out and lapped up by the tabloids.
  • Options

May should have just dared them to vote against her from the off - she would have had the DUP votes for free that way.

I agree. That would be Labours position if they (yeah I know) were asked to form a government, they would present policies and 'dared' others to oppose them, and if they lost a vote of no confidence then on we go.
    The Tory position is very unsavoury indeed.
  • Options

What a shambles.

Sadly experience tell us otherwise and come the next election (spring 2018) exactly the same old bollocks will be rolled out and lapped up by the tabloids.
    I don't think the tabloids have as much effect on how people vote that some on here give them credit for.
    If you look at the Sun and the Mail you would think Corbyn would have been destroyed at the last election, but he almost pulled it off.
    A lot of people nowadays get there news online and on various version's of social media plus Corbyn handled himself better than May on TV.
    Like I said the power of papers like the Sun and the Mail is falling rapidly.
  • Options
    There is no way the DUP woud have opposed them, the minute you start talking with them, it then gives them a bargening position, where you have to let them know from teh off that there is no bargening position to be had. The tories could have said they couldn't even consider a deal out of respect for the Good Friday Agreement - there is aboslutely no way they would have got a different outcome had they done so. The DUP wouldn't do anything to allow Cprbyn to be prime minister. By doing this, the Tories have done themselves a lot of damage.
  • Options

You literally couldn't have made up the last two years in British politics. Beyond farcical.

Meanwhile 200,000 17 year olds get the vote every quarter with 25% not voting and 50%+ voting Labour. And poll after poll shows a gentle shift from blue to red.

Now it appears that we have to rely upon the EU27 and Dublin to maintain the integrity of the peace process. I wonder what Fintan O'Toole will make of this latest development? Two weeks back he asked "To understand the sensational outcome of the British election, one must ask a basic question. What happens when phony populism collides with the real thing?"

And Corbyn continues with his summer tour playing to hundreds of thousands of voters.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-more-popular-opinion-polls-theresa-may-brexit-sunday-times-philip-a7807421.html

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I, for one, am extremely disappointed that our PM has done a deal with the DUP.

When I voted for Corbyn, I didn't expect him to betray young people like this when he got into power. Dreadful.
  • Options
    I'm confused. Is this tie up with the DUP a special relationship, special partnership or deep relationship and partnership
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm confused. Is this tie up with the DUP a special relationship, special partnership or deep relationship and partnership

I beg your pardon, it's 'unique' according arlene at the DUP
  • Options

What a shambles.

Or "coalition of chaos".

Or "strong and stable".

Or "firm negotiator".

Or "In the country's interest".

Or "risking the breakup of the United Kingdom"

Or "Doing deals with former terrorists".

• Options
    That extra £1bill could be used to plug some of the public sector funding gaps all over the UK. The tories' political games are getting worse and worse. At least they aren't putting any peace processes at risk
  • Options

That extra £1bill could be used to plug some of the public sector funding gaps all over the UK. The tories' political games are getting worse and worse. At least they aren't putting any peace processes at risk

Aren't they?

By siding with only one of the two protagonists in the peace process they abrogate their duty to be rigorously impartial.

And that plays into Sinn Fein's hands. They could (quite rightly) object to talks with the UK Government on the basis that their Northern Ireland political opponents are part of that government. But we don't know what Sinn Fein will do. And therein lies the problem...

We are now waiting to see how Sinn Fein reacts to the UK Government announcement. And that's a sentence I never wanted to see, ever again.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

Aren't they?

By siding with only one of the two protagonists in the peace process they abrogate their duty to be rigorously impartial.

And that plays into Sinn Fein's hands. They could (quite rightly) object to talks with the UK Government on the basis that their Northern Ireland political opponents are part of that government. But we don't know what Sinn Fein will do. And therein lies the problem...

We are now waiting to see how Sinn Fein reacts to the UK Government announcement. And that's a sentence I never wanted to see, ever again.
    Wooooosh!
    Oops! I missed the smiley winky thing!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!