Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The General Election - June 8th 2017

Comments

• Options
    @PragueAddick It's coming (interest rate rise)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40288125

Vote 5-3 to keep interest rates the same. Only been one of the 8 usually suggesting an increase. Assuming inflation continues as expected then maybe not next month but the following month seems to be the suggested rise.

For anyone where a rate rise is of concern I'd be fixing now (IMHO).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

@PragueAddick It's coming (interest rate rise)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40288125

Vote 5-3 to keep interest rates the same. Only been one of the 8 usually suggesting an increase. Assuming inflation continues as expected then maybe not next month but the following month seems to be the suggested rise.

For anyone where a rate rise is of concern I'd be fixing now (IMHO).

Aren't most homeowners/mortgagees on decent fixed rates pretty much the majority of the time? I'm always hearing my mates talk about their new fantastic 0.silly percent rate they've secured.

How long does it take for an interest rate rise to trickle down into the housing market/mortgage costs etc

I think the Fed over in the U.S have actually been doing it the right way. Haven't they been incrementally rising the rate for a while now?
  • Options
    There's a big proportion who aren't, maybe either trackers or variable I don't know the split. In 25 years I never fixed, tended to go discount or tracker.

If there is an expected rate rise fixed rates will begin to go up before it actually happens.

Even those on fixes a large proportion take 2 years so don't last forever.

Yes US has been creeping up, which is what I'd expect we'd do just like how it came down.
  • Options

"Austerity is evil"

That's right, haven't been able to buy sweeties for a week. Or like when Labour introduced tuition fees because they ran out of money to pay the cost of running the Universities. Evil bastards.

Should not have been so evil, they should have just borrowed the money and let the students, and everyone else, pay the loan interest out of their taxes later on. Would also have duped students into thinking they got free education.

I say use our taxes to subsidise the exceptionally intelligent in society so they can earn a 2:1 in needlework to qualify for a job in MacDonalds, better than wasting it on paying nurses.

Intelligent Labour University voters are suggesting that we look at the exceptional post war borrowing level as an example of how to avoid austerity. Those less intelligent old non-University Tory voters are stupidly pointing out that post war austerity went hand in hand with debt at 230% of GDP.

How can intelligent University educated Labour voters miss the fact that we had austerity whilst we also had high debt and that austerity diminished in parallel with reducing national debt from 230% to 70% between 1948 and 1970 - couldn't happen.

"Austerity is evil". It must be true, our leader says so, we can borrow all the money we want, we can take all the money we want from others, and we can have anything we want for ourselves.

Those Blairite/capitalist/banker friendly/tax avoiding rich austerity loving evil Tory bastards are pretending there isn't a santa clause and a tooth fairy so they can say there isn't a magic money tree. We know they've got one and we're going to find it and we'll see who's laughing at us then.

Nurse.....

Intelligent and University Educated don't necessarily go together in my view. Indeed what defines intelligence itself is a battle to be continually fought.
    I also don't get the assumption and links often made between University Education and jobs/occupations.

Personally I am less in favour of borrowing as saving up and not being wasteful too.
    I would get the money from extravagence if I could. How bloody much do people spend on weddings for example?
    Oh. And why buy bog paper when there's the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I am no particular fan of Farron but am I alone in being concerned that the right of a politician to vote with his or her conscience appears to have been removed effectively?

No it hasn't. The "right" to hold views and expect them not to be challenged because he is follower of a particular religion has
    Does that apply to all religions or just Christianity?

• Options
    Southbank said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/general-election-2017/#

Rod Liddle on why there has been no attempt by the Tories to blame fake news or the Russians for the election result.

I know it is not my political leaning but does Rod Liddle get paid for stuff like that? Was it meant to be a bit tongue in cheek funny?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I know how it sounds, but it is true. My posts on here will back that conversion up. I have not become a fanatic though - he has simply inspired me.

I know it's true and with the greatest respect you sound fanatical to me (which is fine).

You're posting your "love" for Corbyn all day every day.

It's quite simply amazing.
    And what about the poor soul on here who is labelling everyone who didn't vote Tory a cultist?
    That'll be me sir.

Another one who isn't paying attention. I was careful to point out that all parties are wannabe cults, it's only if you are duped into giving them your vote because you think they are not bribing you, that you are a suspect cult follower. Even worse, you believe they are telling the truth.

Never said you can't have a Tory cult either, but if Theresa is a cult leader she hasn't got the hang of this bribery thing. It's a funny cult leader who tries to boost membership by appealing to property owners who might one day need social care, with a promise to take away their legacy and only leave their children with a paltry £100k. The rest unbelievably is going to be wasted on plugging the hole in the inadequate social care budget. Tories always tell lies, so she couldn't have meant it anyway.

Can't have that, Corbyn would ensure unearned inherited wealth is reserved for the children, nieces and nephews for buying a new car, having a nice holiday or paying off the mortgage, not looking after the ailing family member. That's the job of the State, funded by the rich bastards earning over £70,000.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

I know how it sounds, but it is true. My posts on here will back that conversion up. I have not become a fanatic though - he has simply inspired me.

I know it's true and with the greatest respect you sound fanatical to me (which is fine).

And what about the poor soul on here who is labelling everyone who didn't vote Tory a cultist?
    That's the job of the State, funded by the rich bastards earning over £70,000.
    Point of fact, it was the rich bas%#~#> earning over £80,000.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can't recall such a u-turn on here by someone, although Fiish runs you a close second :wink:
    As the self appointed adjudicator on U-turns I have decided this.

In first place is @Fiiish who has done an 180 degree about turn, so much so that I now see him as being a bit of a looney lefty.

Second place is to @MuttleyCAFC who has merely realigned his opinion, lets call it 90 degrees.

Where as @Dippenhall has seemed to have lost the plot but not changed his views at all. So is disqualified.
    I accept your findings and congratulate Fiiish for his U-turn award
  • Options
    When it comes to U-turns neither of us can close to Theresa May-be - May-be not!
  • Options

I can't recall such a u-turn on here by someone, although Fiish runs you a close second :wink:
    As the self appointed adjudicator on U-turns I have decided this.

In first place is @Fiiish who has done an 180 degree about turn, so much so that I now see him as being a bit of a looney lefty.

Second place is to @MuttleyCAFC who has merely realigned his opinion, lets call it 90 degrees.

Where as @Dippenhall has seemed to have lost the plot but not changed his views at all. So is disqualified.
    I accept your findings and congratulate Fiiish for his U-turn award
    Corbyn can learn a thing or two from you in terms of accepting defeat Mutts

;)
  • Options
    May can learn something after her post election speech you mean!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    Does that mean as Corbyn is at Zero as many don't favour him as do?

Where did they do this survey, some of the numbers behind look very odd, Labour most favourable party in Scotland?
  • Options

Southbank said:

Rod Liddle on why there has been no attempt by the Tories to blame fake news or the Russians for the election result.

I know it is not my political leaning but does Rod Liddle get paid for stuff like that? Was it meant to be a bit tongue in cheek funny?
    The point is that some people only complain about fake news, Russian influence and stupid voters when the result goes against them.
    For example,many working class Leave voters voted Labour this time-but whereas they were apparently duped over the referendum the same people have now become discerning about Corbyn and Labour. How did that happen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

The point is that some people only complain about fake news, Russian influence and stupid voters when the result goes against them.
    For example,many working class Leave voters voted Labour this time-but whereas they were apparently duped over the referendum the same people have now become discerning about Corbyn and Labour. How did that happen?
    Could it be possible that on both occasions they were voting against a Tory government, giving it to the man and all that. What did you think the reason was?

It was still an infantile and dull article mind.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Where did they do this survey, some of the numbers behind look very odd, Labour most favourable party in Scotland?
    Yes, it means that favourable minus unfavourable is equal to 0 points.

Corbyn 46-46 (0%)
    May 29-63 (-34%)

Corbyn was around -34% back in November and as low as -42% in April.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Oh. And why buy bog paper when there's the Daily Mail?

Cos it's softer and doesn't leave inky marks all over your arse?
  • Options
    Told you Corbyn would do well!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

The thing about Scotland is they have successively voted in progressive governments. But after 10 years the SNP has started to lose a lot of credibility, at the same time Corbyn wasn't seen as realistic option, while Ruth Davidson is very impressive. This election has started to galvanise support.

Politically, the situation is more complex than down here, but the cut and thrust is a massive disillusionment with Westminster.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

The thing about Scotland is they have successively voted in progressive governments. But after 10 years the SNP has started to lose a lot of credibility, at the same time Corbyn wasn't seen as realistic option, while Ruth Davidson is very impressive. This election has started to galvanise support.

Politically, the situation is more complex than down here, but the cut and thrust is a massive disillusionment with Westminster.

I think that is what has driven Brexit, UKIP, The Greens, The SNP and now probably Corbyn.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

I think that is what has driven Brexit, UKIP, The Greens, The SNP and now probably Corbyn.
    I agree and I think it is a factor people are still underestimating, especially when it comes to the Youth vote choosing Labour. Happy to let the condescending hypocrites, who still think it was all down to a simple bribe, continue to. As long as they do, they will never win it back.
    I couldn't agree more @mcgrandall .
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!