Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

Mal said:

Beating 3 of the top 4 is a bit better than average.

offset by losing to Wimbledon and Rochdale
    But he had to try with gobshite players.

I would love to see what he could achieve with his own players
    Give you that, but, if you listen to Louis Mendez and his analogy of the difference when interveiweing Gobshite and Lee, with Scousegit saying 'he's upset the third metarsal, and sustaned impact peripheral muscle damage' to Lees 'he's hurt his foot', this worries me about the motivational ability from Lee. Now, we all know what Lee's like, and he doesnt come over as the brightest spark, and i doubt his motivational skills to get 105 per cent from the team, which is what all 'excellent' managers seem to be able to do.
    I woldnt mind him being manager - i think we could do better - but i think we are too hung up on getting a 'Charlton man'.
    I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more from the players by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.
    Bowyer did well. He was better than average and in the end not quite excellent.

When he took over the squad were demoralised and losing. He changed the formation and got some good games out of previously under-performing players.

In the end a Shewsbury side who finished 16 points ahead of us were, surprise, surprise, better than us. If we'd had Fosu fit it might have been closer but we had to rely on Kaikia and Mavididi, players he didn't sign.

Remember when Lee took over we weren't even looking like making the play-offs.

He won 6, drew 1 and lost 3 of his ten league games. 19 points from a possible 30, just under the two points a game that would have meant promotion over a season and in one of those, Rochdale, we had nothing to play for.

He also lifted the crowd, didn't talk bollocks non-stop (although I thought his "we were the better team" statement in the play-offs was incorrect and only inspired Shrewsbury.

B+
    Spot on that. Case closed.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Comprehensively beaten in both games over 2 legs by a team built mostly from non-league. And riding our luck in at least 2 of the wins (Blackburn and Pompey).
    Nah, more average than excellent.

Riding our luck at Pompey ?
    You don't half chat rubbish.
    We were outstanding and it was a great win.
    And I talk rubbish! :smile:
  • Options

Mal said:

Give you that, but, if you listen to Louis Mendez and his analogy of the difference when interveiweing Gobshite and Lee, with Scousegit saying 'he's upset the third metarsal, and sustaned impact peripheral muscle damage' to Lees 'he's hurt his foot', this worries me about the motivational ability from Lee. Now, we all know what Lee's like, and he doesnt come over as the brightest spark, and i doubt his motivational skills to get 105 per cent from the team, which is what all 'excellent' managers seem to be able to do.
    I woldnt mind him being manager - i think we could do better - but i think we are too hung up on getting a 'Charlton man'.
    I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more from the players by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.

When he took over the squad were demoralised and losing. He changed the formation and got some good games out of previously under-performing players.

In the end a Shewsbury side who finished 16 points ahead of us were, surprise, surprise, better than us. If we'd had Fosu fit it might have been closer but we had to rely on Kaikia and Mavididi, players he didn't sign.

He won 6, drew 1 and lost 3 of his ten league games. 19 points from a possible 30, just under the two points a game that would have meant promotion over a season and in one of those, Rochdale, we had nothing to play for.

He also lifted the crowd, didn't talk bollocks non-stop (although I thought his "we were the better team" statement in the play-offs was incorrect and only inspired Shrewsbury.

B+
    This, again.
  • Options

Comprehensively beaten in both games over 2 legs by a team built mostly from non-league. And riding our luck in at least 2 of the wins (Blackburn and Pompey).
    Nah, more average than excellent.

Riding our luck at Pompey ?
    You don't half chat rubbish.
    We were outstanding and it was a great win.
    And I talk rubbish! :smile:
    Yes :smiley:
  • Options

Mal said:

B+
    Agreed, he did a good, but not quite the amazing one some would have us believe. He was good enough that he very much should be inconsideration for the full time position, but not so good that we should assume there can't possibly be a better potential appointment out there.

It's interesting that the thing that changed overall the most, other than a bit of spirit coming back into the side, was our defensive organization and even Bowyer largely credits Jacko with that. I wonder if Jacko might be the real brains behind the operation. Personally I think Jacko actually would be a better fit for the job long term.
  • Options

Mal said:

I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more/ has more motivational abilty, by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.

I'm astounded anyone could question the motivation ability of a man that turned a team of light weights into a team that won the vast majority of their battles. He absolutely transformed most of the players, who were barely recognisable, from earlier in the season.

Mal said:

I dont think that was hard after Gobbo and everyone else we've had - do you?
    Yes, I do think it was hard, extremely hard.
    No one else managed it, no one else even got close.
    Bowyer's motivation skills since he took over were sublime.
    Most fans had written off our chances of making the play offs.

Mal said:

I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more/ has more motivational abilty, by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.

I'm astounded anyone could question the motivation ability of a man that turned a team of light weights into a team that won the vast majority of their battles. He absolutely transformed most of the players, who were barely recognisable, from earlier in the season.
    I dont recall 6 out of 12 being the vast majority.
    I spoke to Patrick Bauer shortly after the Pompey game, and asked him if there was any major difference, and his reply was 'no real difference, aside from playing 2 up front , which seemed to release eveyone into playing a system they could recognise and fit into' - it wasnt rocket science.
    I'm talking about tackling, winning tackles. Players that previously couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, were winning most of their challenges. If you were there you would have seen it, but you weren't, so you're speaking from a position of ignorance and not best placed to pass judgement.
    As Airman said....... you do talk a load of pompous bollocks.
  • Options

Mal said:

B+
    Exactly. Mind you you're at an advantage having watched most of the games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mal said:

B+
    Agreed, he did an excellent job getting us into the playoffs. The positivity on this board and in the crowd was really noticeable.

After that, our performances in the playoffs were a bit underwhelming, whether the effort to get there took its toll (in retrospect Shrewsbury had been pacing themselves at the end of the normal season, explaining their poorer results) is debatable.
  • Options

Mal said:

B+
    Agreed, he did a good, but not quite the amazing one some would have us believe. He was good enough that he very much should be inconsideration for the full time position, but not so good that we should assume there can't possibly be a better potential appointment out there.

It's interesting that the thing that changed overall the most, other than a bit of spirit coming back into the side, was our defensive organization and even Bowyer largely credits Jacko with that. I wonder if Jacko might be the real brains behind the operation. Personally I think Jacko actually would be a better fit for the job long term.
    Jacko turned it down, so I doubt he'll want it a few months later.
  • Options

I'm parked next to Rocunt's campervan in the supermarket car park. Quick, what shall I say to him?

If that was his van I think I'd be saying " Somebody's just slashed all your tires mate"
  • Options
    How about... image
  • Options
    Brown cow?
  • Options
    razil said:

Brown cow?

How now?
  • Options
    razil said:

Brown cow?

How ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Brown cow?

Now ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Mal said:

Mal said:

I dont think that was hard after Gobbo and everyone else we've had - do you?
    Yes, I do think it was hard, extremely hard.
    No one else managed it, no one else even got close.
    Bowyer's motivation skills since he took over were sublime.
    Most fans had written off our chances of making the play offs.

Mal said:

I dont recall 6 out of 12 being the vast majority.
    I spoke to Patrick Bauer shortly after the Pompey game, and asked him if there was any major difference, and his reply was 'no real difference, aside from playing 2 up front , which seemed to release eveyone into playing a system they could recognise and fit into' - it wasnt rocket science.
    I'm talking about tackling, winning tackles. Players that previously couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, were winning most of their challenges. If you were there you would have seen it, but you weren't, so you're speaking from a position of ignorance and not best placed to pass judgement.
    As Airman said....... you do talk a load of pompous bollocks.
    37 likes for me v 4 for you on this discussion. It's pretty clear who the majority agree with on whether Bowyer motivated the Charlton players or not.

Sorry for the count up, it's pathetic I know.
  • Options
    I think we missed a Holmes player that could make a difference and to be fair to Shrewsbury they had one or maybe two of those. Imagine if he had been rested for the playofffs?
    Anyway give Bowyer the job I’m sure with the right support he could work more miracles
    COYR
  • Options
    So is this bloody takeover gonna happen or what??
  • Options

Mal said:

B+

Jacko turned it down .
    Not sure where you heard that. For what it’s worth I heard the opposite
  • Options

Mal said:

B+

Jacko turned it down .
    Not sure where you heard that. For what it’s worth I heard the opposite
    Hmm, I'll have a think.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Mal said:

B+

Depends on what part the ownership and the fact he was still registered as a player had in his decision, if he did indeed make that decision. It might only be a few months later, but the circumstances around the club could be dramatically different.
  • Options

Mal said:

B+

Is this true?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Mal said:

B+

Is this true?
    Well I thought so, but can't remember where I read it.
    I wouldn't believe any old person, so thought someone credible said it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!