Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    15 Down - Fruit (6)

ROLAND
  • Options
    1594, the site of Pompeii is rediscovered.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    15 Down - Fruit (6)

ROLAND
    6 across. 
    Postman drops sack.

How many letters. 

Every f$$in one.
  • Options
    Takeover this week lol.
  • Options
    Takeover this week lol.
    It’s happening!🥳
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    If a CL member posts it's happening tomorrow on April 1st
    can they please get a Sine die ban.
    If not the Soapbox 20 will head for Sidcup with spray cans.

• Options
    The fella who messaged me on Twitter to say there was Indian interest in buying Charlton messaged me the other day to say that nothing came of it.
    Apologies, I think I'll keep any other messages to myself in future :-(
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The fella who messaged me on Twitter to say there was Indian interest in buying Charlton messaged me the other day to say that nothing came of it.
    Keep em rolling, it’s good for the thread count. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He was probably quoted 70m
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Takeover this week lol.
    It’s happening!🥳
    Where is the Ron Paul meme!? Can’t have hope without Ron Paul.
  • Options
    100 million pounds, three managers and relegation.  Fulham not gonna help prospective buyers with the Premiership dream.
  • Options
    I note that derby County sold pride park to the clubs owner for £80 million pounds to pay off debits by the look of it. So what is the Valley worth then.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    Always share Jimmy.

Why do Indians love New York?  Because there's a Delhi on every block.

What do you call Indian flowers?
    Patels.

Where do cauliflowers hang out?  In the Gobi desert.

Is reincarnation making a comeback ?

(These were the only Indian jokes out of 100 that got passed the PC filter in 2019)
  • Options
    More nonsense from Roland but a copy of interesting things too. 

He finally admits it was his communication that was "catastrophic."

But more shocking he says that he decided to give up on football just a few months after buying Charlton.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/charlton-owner-reveals-made-huge-mistake-getting-involved-football/

Charlton Athletic owner reveals he made a ‘huge mistake’ getting involved in football

Up for sale since 2017, Charlton Athletic are yet to find a buyer as owner Roland Duchatelet tries to rid himself of the League One club, even going as far as demanding the EFL take charge of the club for a nominal fee of £1.

Rejecting his offer due to what they believe was a ‘significant conflict of interest’, the league did however offer their support in ‘assisting’ the owner in ‘his aim of finding a suitable new owner for the club’.

While that Charlton matter is still ongoing, Duchatelet sat down with Sport/Foot in Belgium for a rather candid interview where he, for lack of a better word, ‘blamed’ himself for the situation he currently finds himself in.

He said: “Fans can’t understand that a club owner doesn’t dedicate at least 100% of their time to it. I’ve never dedicated that much time to football, mostly through lack of having any. Most owners have other financial activities and leave the club management to other people. 

“That can cause problems, as shown by the finances of the clubs in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League. Often, there’s a deep misunderstanding between what fans think and what owners do.”

The Charlton owner was then asked if he felt his communication with the fans hasn’t always been the best.

He replied: Absolutely. My communication in football has sometimes been catastrophic. At Standard Liège like at Charlton. Communication is a huge challenge. Basically, football is a business that doesn’t suit me. I made a mistake getting involved in it.”

Duchatelet also revealed that his decision to give up on football altogether came at the end of the 2013-14 season (he believes match-fixing cost Standard Liège the title that year) just a few months after sealing his takeover at The Valley, which took place in January 2014.

As well as Charlton, the Belgian businessman is trying to sell his shares in the other two clubs where he is a majority shareholder: Alcorcon in Spain’s second-tier and Carl Zeiss Jena in 3. Liga in Germany.

• Options

But more shocking he says that he decided to give up on football just a few months after buying Charlton.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/charlton-owner-reveals-made-huge-mistake-getting-involved-football/

Charlton Athletic owner reveals he made a ‘huge mistake’ getting involved in football

Up for sale since 2017, Charlton Athletic are yet to find a buyer as owner Roland Duchatelet tries to rid himself of the League One club, even going as far as demanding the EFL take charge of the club for a nominal fee of £1.

Rejecting his offer due to what they believe was a ‘significant conflict of interest’, the league did however offer their support in ‘assisting’ the owner in ‘his aim of finding a suitable new owner for the club’.

While that Charlton matter is still ongoing, Duchatelet sat down with Sport/Foot in Belgium for a rather candid interview where he, for lack of a better word, ‘blamed’ himself for the situation he currently finds himself in.

He said: “Fans can’t understand that a club owner doesn’t dedicate at least 100% of their time to it. I’ve never dedicated that much time to football, mostly through lack of having any. Most owners have other financial activities and leave the club management to other people. 

“That can cause problems, as shown by the finances of the clubs in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League. Often, there’s a deep misunderstanding between what fans think and what owners do.”

The Charlton owner was then asked if he felt his communication with the fans hasn’t always been the best.

He replied: Absolutely. My communication in football has sometimes been catastrophic. At Standard Liège like at Charlton. Communication is a huge challenge. Basically, football is a business that doesn’t suit me. I made a mistake getting involved in it.”

Duchatelet also revealed that his decision to give up on football altogether came at the end of the 2013-14 season (he believes match-fixing cost Standard Liège the title that year) just a few months after sealing his takeover at The Valley, which took place in January 2014.

As well as Charlton, the Belgian businessman is trying to sell his shares in the other two clubs where he is a majority shareholder: Alcorcon in Spain’s second-tier and Carl Zeiss Jena in 3. Liga in Germany.

Credit where it's due, at least he's finally accepting some blame. 

And a lot of what he says is true. But leaving the management to other people is also a huge reason why he failed, he left the club in even more disastrous hands than himself!
  • Options
    We haven't got a proper football management (I mean above Bowyer, Gallen etc)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He even blames match fixing for his teams failures on the field of play
  • Options
    1594, the site of Pompeii is rediscovered.
    Also 1594...Mathematician John Napier dedicates his "Plaine Discovery of the Whole Revelation of St. John" to King James VI.  He then predicts end of the world in sale of Charlton on either page 1688 or 1700 of @Henry Irving's  sadly unpromoted thread!!  😉
  • Options

And a lot of what he says is true. But leaving the management to other people is also a huge reason why he failed, he left the club in even more disastrous hands than himself!
    Not really.

He keeps blaming communication when the problems was never just about explaining his plans but the plans themselves.

Ah absolutely but it’s a mini step in the right direction. In the past all we have heard is him blaming everyone and everything else. 

Genuinely cannot remember another occasion where he accepts he played a part. More steps in this direction and it will reduce his joke of a price. 
  • Options

It was Duchatelet decision to not give Yann his pay rise of 1k a week not Katrien Meire.
    She was rubbish at being a CEO, and panicked under the pressure of doing a job she was so under qualified for but it was Roland who made most of the shocking decisions. We also would've had a Serbian hockey coach if it wasn't for a melt down in London. 
    Duchatelet is beyond parody at times and the worse may still be to come.
  • Options
    The sad thing is it does not sound like a sale is anywhere in sight. If it was,I doubt he would be giving this type of interview.
  • Options
    Anymore on this banker then? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!