Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No-mark agent's amazing LinkedIn rant about Slade

2»

Comments

• Options

stonemuse said:

I detest LinkedIn with a passion. I joined a year or two ago because I was told that in my business (as a financial adviser) it would be good for referrals & business opportunities.

I've never had either & the only requests I get to "add" them to my network (or whatever its called) are from recruitment consultants and I get about 1 a week from these people.

btw, the best place I've had referrals from is on here.

I find it very useful, received many contacts for my business.
    Me too, but I get requests to connect from lots of dodgy financial advisers who simply want to get at my network of well paid professionals. I click the "feck off" button.

:-)

Didn't know you're Irish, Richard.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Another one has piped up on there who obviously failed to flog Slade one of his "clients".

Football agents are like a Frankenstein monster version of executive search.

Can you copy and paste what the other agents said too mate?
    Here we go

One of them made a good point (but no way was I going to concede it :-) )

Alun Williams
    Richard, just a note - as much as I agree that this is neither the time or the place for the airing of opinions regarding the capabilities of a professional football manager, I'm not sure your sense of injustice should have been supported with an equally unfair attack on the profession of the guilty party.

But the fun one was Thorsten Nowak...

..the "evil" money-greedy agents' fault! Can not hear this anymore. I honestly have to ask you Richard Hunt what your qualifications are to judge??? to which I replied

Well, I am an exec. search consultant. It is impossible for me to work as football agents do: working for both client and employee at the same time, and to do so for fees which bear no relation to the amount of work involved; and perhaps to share my fee with another agent acting as an intermediary. Well as a search professional that sounds to me like a nightmare distortion of the work I do. And as an activist football fan I bitterly resent the effect this nightmare has on the finances of my club and the negative effect game in general. Those are my qualifications to judge.

Thorsten Nowak 托爾斯滕·諾瓦克
    "An activist football fan", then you surely have the substantial internal perspective how the football business is working! That's great!

Richard Hunt
    I do my best, but the football business is not transparent, least of all to the customers who pay for it. Recently though I have learnt that my club Charlton led the list of 3rd division clubs in terms of payments to agents. 600k. Which I helped to pay for. What part of my list of issues do you find to be without foundation?
    ..then later I wrote...

Looks like these agents think they can slag off somebody on LinkedIn, a site for professionals, but challenge them on their own profession and their "fees' and they disappear into the shadows, it seems. If Thorsten Nowak or Lee Marsh or any other agent consider my criticisms (and thousands like mine) to be ignorant and unfounded, I would be happy to put them in touch with serious journalists who will interview them about their work and the value they bring to the game. Then they can put us straight. I have never ever read such an interview before. I wonder, why could that be? and got back

Thorsten Nowak 托爾斯滕·諾瓦克
    I am fine with that, Richard. You can read an interview of myself, my agency in the next edition of the Sports World Magazine . I am sorry, that I have not come back to you straight away as I had an appointment with Southampton Football club. If you are talking about "professionalism" calm down a bit...I think a MBA for International BD / Marketing should be enough to compete with your education.

then later on another one popped up...

CEO at LeSportAgency LESA
    Don't like talking about other people but in this case you are right 1 milion percent and don't be surprised if he gets Arsenal job
  • Options
    Prague - you must know I agree with you on many things based on posts on this site, but that agent's comment about Slade was on the money for me.
  • Options
    While I was cutting and pasting the above there was a development in the dialogue with the reasonable agent:

AlunWilliams Richard Hunt you are freely admitting your arguament is founded on a lack of knowledge. I don't agree with this LinkedIn post, however you've got to admit there is quite a bit of irony in criticising somebody's criticism of somebody's ability by criticising somebody's whole sector's value to sport. (sic)

I would be more than happy to spend some time to you talking about how an intermediary (in relation to any sport) can add significant value to both employee's & employers.

Richard Hunt
    OK Alun, I am ready to take you up on that. Maybe we could do an email interview with the resulting article (which you would of course approve) published in the Charlton Supporters Trust magazine (might be too late for the final one this season, but it might go on the website)? I would prefer to keep it focused on football, and would come at it as someone who works as an intermediary in mainstream business, from where football intermediary work looks like a Frankenstein Monster version of what I do (which can itself come in for criticism). I am sure I would learn a great deal - but if I am currently ignorant, that is the fault of your industry for not being more ready to talk to the media about the work you do and how you are rewarded for it.

let's see if he is as good as his word. Would be fascinating, I think....
  • Options

Prague - you must know I agree with you on many things based on posts on this site, but that agent's comment about Slade was on the money for me.

It might or might not be. Neither you, nor I, nor he, are really in a position to judge though. And his agenda is pathetically self-serving. But that's not the point. The point is that he posted it on LinkedIn. In a normal professional environment, which LinkedIn tries to foster, you simply do not make individual personal attacks on a professional in your field, which could have a negative effect on his employment prospects.

• Options
    Hilarious.

His response to conducting an interview with a "serious journalist" is to point towards a trade publication, presumably a glorified marketing peice aimed at drumming up some interest and potential clients.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

It might or might not be. Neither you, nor I, nor he, are really in a position to judge though. And his agenda is pathetically self-serving. But that's not the point. The point is that he posted it on LinkedIn. In a normal professional environment, which LinkedIn tries to foster, you simply do not make individual personal attacks on a professional in your field, which could have a negative effect on his employment prospects.

Slade seems to be made of Teflon in terms of his employment prospects though. I reckon the Vatican will class the way he keeps getting jobs to be a miracle soon. I saw a program on BBC 4 last week explaining the Bermuda triangle, so maybe they will do one on Slade in the near future! I certainly can't explain it rationally! I may be wrong, but I certainly consider myself to be in a position to judge the bloke's performance, or lack of it! Maybe more for a forum though than Linkedin - I accept that!
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Hilarious.

His response to conducting an interview with a "serious journalist" is to point towards a trade publication, presumably a glorified marketing peice aimed at drumming up some interest and potential clients.

I just took a quick look at "Sports World Magazine". It's basically a money/investment journal aimed at rich footballers from what I can see. Very little to do with sport. Suggest Mr Nowak volunteers his time for an interview with When Saturday Comes...
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

But not on LinkedIn. You know what, not on any social media. It's childish and petty.

I'm now going to prove that being on social media is indeed childish and petty by pointing out to you that this forum is social media and you are on it. :wink:
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

But not on LinkedIn. You know what, not on any social media. It's childish and petty.

I'm now going to prove that being on social media is indeed childish and petty by pointing out to you that this forum is social media and you are on it. :wink:
    Good point well made sir
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Hilarious.

You laugh but he'll be in the running for White House Press Secretary next week.
  • Options
    Oh and somewhere in there is a very wisely worded message from yours truly. I keep getting notifications of more comments but I just can't be fucked.