Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I've got one of my early morning one handed brilliant ideas. Why dont we let the ref rule throughout the game (old style) then use VAR at the end of the game to adjust the score + call teams back for a few penalties.
    It will keep us interested.

Will be like the Eurovision...

Douz pwa..?

I rest my wrist (again...)
  • Options
    Done the job again. Proved it's worth by now for me.
  • Options
    The other thing to say for VAR, which is hard to prove, is that diving has been all but eliminated.
    Cant think of one instance this world cup - such a refreshing change to the normal blatant cheating that goes on.
  • Options
    VAR has so far levelled the playing field a lot.

It has improved the Referees decision making, with about 3 mistakes in about 25 VAR calls... that's a reduction in refereeing errors any way you look at it.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:

The other thing to say for VAR, which is hard to prove, is that diving has been all but eliminated.
    Cant think of one instance this world cup - such a refreshing change to the normal blatant cheating that goes on.

Neymar - Serbia
  • Options
    'VAR you're the answer that makes my questions disappear...'
  • Options
    There's been plenty of diving and histrionics in the tournament. the refs have done nothing about it dont think i've seen a single yellow given yet.
  • Options
    Hopefully that'll be the next phase of VAR, player goes down holding their face, VAR has a quick look, tells ref there was no facial contact, player booked immediately
  • Options

Hopefully that'll be the next phase of VAR, player goes down holding their face, VAR has a quick look, tells ref there was no facial contact, player booked immediately

Be interesting when kicked in the what's it...
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I've got one of my early morning one handed brilliant ideas. Why dont we let the ref rule throughout the game (old style) then use VAR at the end of the game to adjust the score + call teams back for a few penalties.
    It will keep us interested.

Will be like the Eurovision...

Douz pwa..?

I rest my wrist (again...)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basically when it comes down to it, VAR is just giving the ref some extra angles and time to come to a clear decision. Mistakes can be made in split second decisions. A bit of time with careful consideration as well as extra evidence and it's obvious that the number of mistakes made by referees is going to be hugely reduced.
  • Options
    League one refs get 9.8% right.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Source?
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Used for the first time in a competitive game.
    Wellington Phoenix v Sydney yesterday in the A-League.

The introduction of goal-line technology can be defended, but VAR is complete utter bullshit.

Decisions add to the theatre of football. Games stopped a couple of times every half, so the video ref can review a situation - please don't let this be the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo1OV6D9xrA

The original post .Tee hee.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Talal said:

Source?
    Eyes
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Talal said:

Source?
    Book of jokes.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Danepak said:

The introduction of goal-line technology can be defended, but VAR is complete utter bullshit.

Decisions add to the theatre of football. Games stopped a couple of times every half, so the video ref can review a situation - please don't let this be the norm.

And I still hate it. It's used even more than I expected it to be.
    An incident happen and you sit for the next 30 secs and wait for the ref to blow the whistle and then have a look at a screen.
    Same with goals. Often you can't celebrate, as the goal has to be reviewed.
    Completely removed the charm and dynamics of the game.
    I hate VAR.

Why not get rid of the ref in the future? When technology at some stage can pick all fouls up, why not take advantage of it then?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

WHAddick said:

Neymar - Serbia
    Ok..ill concede that one...but guess what var sorted it!
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Danepak said:

And I still hate it. It's used even more than I expected it to be.
    An incident happen and you sit for the next 30 secs and wait for the ref to blow the whistle and then have a look at a screen.
    Same with goals. Often you can't celebrate, as the goal has to be reviewed.
    Completely removed the charm and dynamics of the game.
    I hate VAR.

Why not get rid of the ref in the future? When technology at some stage can pick all fouls up, why not take advantage of it then?
    My thoughts entirely. No need for a ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was there any VAR action in the England game. I don't recall any, but missed a couple of bits.
  • Options
    None at all.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Was there any VAR action in the England game. I don't recall any, but missed a couple of bits.

There was no action, let alone VAR action.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    That's a bit deceptive though. That's 98% of all decisions. That includes giving throws the right way (not sure how they cc aculeate stats on that, I doubt they look at videos of every minor decision), goal kicks, etc. The vast majority of decisions are largely inconsequential and probably over 99% right (though again, I very much doubt they check).

It's always the key, pivotal decisions where mistakes are most likely and also most important. No point getting 98 throw in decisions right, and then a penalty and red card wrong, then claim 98% accuracy.
  • Options

PeterGage said:
    That's a bit deceptive though. That's 98% of all decisions. That includes giving throws the right way (not sure how they cc aculeate stats on that, I doubt they look at videos of every minor decision), goal kicks, etc. The vast majority of decisions are largely inconsequential and probably over 99% right (though again, I very much doubt they check).

It's always the key, pivotal decisions where mistakes are most likely and also most important. No point getting 98 throw in decisions right, and then a penalty and red card wrong, then claim 98% accuracy.
    I wouldnt say it is deceptive (we just dont know), although questioning is correct because we dont have access to how the figure of 98%, or indeed any other, was arrived at.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44658757

"A total of 335 incidents were checked during the group stage - nearly seven per game - with 14 on-field reviews made by referees and three reviews made by the VAR team on factual decisions.

Referees called 95% of incidents correctly without VAR, but the system - which is being used for the first time at a major international tournament at Russia 2018 - improved that success rate to 99.3%."
  • Options
    Referee media briefing following group stage. One hour 42 minutes of pure joy.
    https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/fifa-referee-team-to-brief-media-after-group-stage

A number of stats from the group stage were presented:

Yellow cards: 162 (3.4 average per match)
    Red cards: 1 direct, 2 second yellow cards
    Penalty kicks: 24 (7 VAR)
    Actual playing time: 56min 45sec average per match
    Additional time: 6min 15sec average per match
    VAR ‘Checks’: 335 incidents checked (6.9 average per match)
    VAR Reviews: 17
    Decisions changed after VAR Review: 14
    Decisions confirmed after VAR Review: 3
    Match changing decisions accuracy: 95 per cent correct without VAR, 99.3 per cent correct with VAR

• Options

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/fifa-referee-team-to-brief-media-after-group-stage

Match changing decisions accuracy: 95 per cent correct without VAR, 99.3 per cent correct with VAR

Just as I thought. Actual VAR reviews not even one per game. So once again football has not died a little bit but has got better with the use of it.
  • Options
    Think VAR has been excellent. What is killing the game for me is the constant falling over around the box as if the object of the game is to get free kicks, not trying to get into a scoring position and then actually score. Players now will go down if touched, not just if the actually get tripped or pushed over. The next challenge for refs and VAR is to address this. Football is a contact sport FFS.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Just as I thought. Actual VAR reviews not even one per game. So once again football has not died a little bit but has got better with the use of it.
    Doesn't say what the last statistic actually means!

Does it include the "decisions" not to award penalties for all the holding incidents at corners. (At least half a dozen in the England - Belgium game alone).

Very common trick to follow good factual statistics by something which means absolutely nothing!