Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thursdays

In the not too distance past, Thursdays were half day closing for shops. I've no idea why but it was. Do you think this has something to do with the reason why there are very rarely no league fixtures on the said day of the week. Nolly says discuss....

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I always thought Wednesdays used to be half days.
    Thursdays are more often late night shopping aren't they?
  • Options
    it was definitely always wednesdays
  • Options
    Different places had different early closings- Bexleyheath was Wednesday, Belvedere was Thursday and so on. I think there was even a list in the A-Z in the 70's up there with the places of interest and the indexes of tube stations etc.
  • Options
    Back a few years now you couldn't find anyone in our office on a Friday afternoon because we were several bottles of wine into an all afternoon session. I fondly partially remember those days well.
  • Options

Imagine a time when people just literally got up closed up shop and fucked off for the day...

We have lost something with this 24 hour 7 day a week life thingy.

or gained something maybe?
  • Options
    Gained the ability to consume all week, lost the free time for one's self.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
  • Options
    Thursdays were too close to Saturdays in the days before European football and Sky Sports buggered everything up, plus most early closing was on Wednesdays (not all) which allowed shopworkers, who worked all day Saturdays, time off to, among other things, play sport. Hence sides like Sheffield Wednesday were so named because they were a midweek side - that legacy still remains with a few cricket and football clubs - for those unable to play on a Saturday.

Pre floodlights, professional football could not play outside daylight hours, so playing on a Wednesday afternoon allowed more people to attend than any other day.
  • Options
    I thought shops closed on a Wednesday to allow for the fact that they opened on Saturdays, all day, and the staff needed time off.
    However the staff couldn't go shopping on a Wednesday afternoon. Maybe I'm talking rubbish.
  • Options
    The Isle of Lewis still pretty much shuts down on Sundays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it open many days?
  • Options

Different places had different early closings- Bexleyheath was Wednesday, Belvedere was Thursday and so on. I think there was even a list in the A-Z in the 70's up there with the places of interest and the indexes of tube stations etc.

Woolwich was definitely half day closing on Thursdays.
  • Options
    I stayed in Haltwhistle a few years back and everything shut down on Wednesday at 1pm, and again on Saturday at the same time. Just how it used to.
  • Options

Is it open many days?

They've got Tesco now.

A few years ago EVERYTHING was shut. No kidding they'd chain kids pay parks shut, every single shop, pub and restaurant. You couldn't even hang your washing on the line or cook dinner on a Sunday.
  • Options
    When Sainsbury's opened in Woolwich in the 70s it was their largest store. I had a Friday night/Saturday job there when I was in the sixth form and they closed on Sunday and Monday, and on Saturday the store closed at 4.00pm.

Different world then and it's not that long ago. (OK - it is that long ago!!).