Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland boss David Moyes says he "deeply regrets" telling a BBC reporter she might "get a slap".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39478693
After a draw with Burnley on 18 March, Moyes was asked by Vicki Sparks if the presence of owner Ellis Short put extra pressure on him.

He said "no" but, after the interview, added Sparks "might get a slap even though you're a woman" and told her to be "careful" next time she visited.
Someone losing the plot, I can't imagine he'll be there long now, with the way Sunderland have performed AND the short shelf life of managers there

Comments

• Options
    Basically... Dont ask whatever you feel like asking... Respect the person your Interviewing and they'll respect you
  • Options
    Disgusting comment, women was doing her job. Forget the fact that this was a women Moyes should not be making them sort of comments full stop.
  • Options
    It's gonna snowball!!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    So it was banter, he was laughing. Probably best to avoid jokes, but it's a non story.
  • Options
    This puts Sunderland in a very tricky position, I think. Especially given the criticism they received over failing to sack Adam Johnson. The actions of the two employees are incomparable, of course. But they'll be pressured into doing something. But many employers would react to a key, senior employee being filmed threatening to slap a female reporter by giving them the tin tack.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Chizz said:

This puts Sunderland in a very tricky position, I think. Especially given the criticism they received over failing to sack Adam Johnson. The actions of the two employees are incomparable, of course. But they'll be pressured into doing something. But many employers would react to a key, senior employee being filmed threatening to slap a female reporter by giving them the tin tack.

So my earlier post was perhaps a bit too stern. It was early and I hadn't had my cuppa yet, and I'm right cranky when I haven't had any caffeine in the morning. I'm sure I'll wrack up the "LOLZ" from the #Banter #LadsLadsLads #BantersaurusRex #Banterrific #Banterful crew as a result* (do I regret spending five minutes Googling synonyms for "#Banter?" no I do not, I only regret that I didn't get any better ones).

But Chizz, I think you bring up the crux of the issue, which is a senior employee threatened to slap a woman. I'm not someone who thinks footballers should be treated as though they have "normal" jobs, because their jobs are unique. And I come from work cultures with a very liberal approach to what is said. But if I were in senior management of Sunderland, I would look at that and just wonder "Why did you think that was okay? What were you thinking?" I'd probably hear Moyes out before sacking him though.

*That's all meant to be very tongue-in-cheek. Obviously you can "Lol" my posts if you like, and I just thought I'd have some fun with #Banter because I'm sitting through boring CBTs and I needed something to do to amuse myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lost his temper and said something he shouldn't of but hardly as bad as its gonna be made out to be.

This, both Moyes and the reporter were sen to be laughing after it happend and she never made a complaint.

People being offended on other peoples behalf....................again.

Don't think anyone has said they're offended. It's more a case of "does this represent a business well?"
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Lost his temper and said something he shouldn't of but hardly as bad as its gonna be made out to be.

This, both Moyes and the reporter were sen to be laughing after it happend and she never made a complaint.

Don't think anyone has said they're offended. It's more a case of "does this represent a business well?"
    I was not referring to people on here however the shadow sports minister is.
  • Options
    Apparently​ she accepted his apologies and from that video it looks like hearted but now the press have gotten hold of the story he can say good bye to his job.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Or an industry.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Ah fair dos, cheers for clarifying. I'm not aware of the Shadow Sports Minister's reaction, or even who the Shadow Sports Minister is.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Moyes looks scary to me. Those mad dog eyes especially. Then I hear him in interviews and think, he's quite a nice chap. Then I heard him on a Danny Baker show and thought, he's a bloody nice chap. I really warmed to him. I really hope he doesn't get chewed up over this one.
  • Options
    SlappinBants.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bitchSlappinBants.

• Options
    Chizz said:

In the context, was it threatening? It very much sounds like it was said and received in a jokey way. At its worst it is ill-advised and as you say, with history of backing the wrong side in a far, far worse scenario perhaps Sunderland will feel the need to take action.

A shame really, but utterly predictable of our over-hysteric press and politicians that this is being scrutinised so heavily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think most of these situations are even related to someone being offended or outraged. They're click-worthy and once a website knows that, they'll milk it until its dry.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Ah fair dos, cheers for clarifying. I'm not aware of the Shadow Sports Minister's reaction, or even who the Shadow Sports Minister is.
    She said "This is disgraceful. David Moyes cannot get away with these sexist threats - the FA must take action immediately".

For me, referring to the exchange as 'sexist threats' makes it sound a lot worse than it was.
  • Options
    There must be a Society out there somewhere who can take mild offence at Moyes' comments.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the slap comment, which was clearly ill judged, that's also another example of a manager being upset by perfectly legitimate questions from a reporter.

You're 20th Moyes, and in no position to get high and mighty...
  • Options

Unbelieveable. Has everyone actually listened to what he said, as opposed to read it ?

He was joking and laughing when he said it.

This. Can't believe the first half of comments on this thread. Obviously didn't watch the video. No malice in his voice at all.
  • Options
    We SJWs need to pick our battles wisely. Still dicing with piling in on that golf penalty thread for hitting the swimwear pic 'jackpot' within two pages