Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rum Puncheon...Gravesend.

Visited Gravesend yesterday to see my sister and we went to the 3 Daws for lunch, good beer and good food. After we went into the Rum Puncheon, was really shocked how this place has gone downhill since I last visited it, wonder if any of the Gravesend crowd can shed any light on what has gone wrong there....a real shame as this was a really decent pub when I last visited.

Comments

• Options
    Haven't been there myself so can't help with any specific knowledge but you're not the only one to notice the decline according to reviews here -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g580415-d5535426-Reviews-The_Rum_Puncheon-Gravesend_Kent_England.html
  • Options

Haven't been there myself so can't help with any specific knowledge but you're not the only one to notice the decline according to reviews here -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g580415-d5535426-Reviews-The_Rum_Puncheon-Gravesend_Kent_England.html

Such a shame, thought it might have changed hands or was just being run down to make way for flats but according to a mate of mine (from Greenhithe) it has just simply deteriorated.
  • Options
    I presume the latest review/comment is yours ?

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/35748/
  • Options
    Went there during the week. Apart from having to grab your own seats to sit outside i would say it's the same as it has been for the last year or so. Not a bad pub, especially for Gravesend.
  • Options

I presume the latest review/comment is yours ?

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/35748/

Yes...I'm MSE12.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Went there during the week. Apart from having to grab your own seats to sit outside i would say it's the same as it has been for the last year or so. Not a bad pub, especially for Gravesend.

Yesterday they had one real ale, that was flat, it stank of rotton cooking oil and there was only 5-6 other people in there. Group of blokes came in and walked straight back out (we should of done but it had just started to rain)....on the other hand the 3 Daws was excellent. Looking at some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and Google it does seem to have gone downhill somewhat, still not to much of a problem as the 3 Daws (almost next door) was more then good enough for what we wanted....maybe I'll pop in there for a 1/2 the next time I'm in Gravesend, to see how it's going....may have to stick to the lager though.
  • Options
    I lived in Gravesend in the 90's - remind me where the 3Daws is - cant ever remember the RumPuncheon though.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I lived in Gravesend in the 90's - remind me where the 3Daws is - cant ever remember the RumPuncheon though.

Down by the Tilbury ferry....it's a lot better then when I used to live in Gravesend 85-88. The Rum Puncheon wasn't there when you lived there Golf.
  • Options

Yesterday they had one real ale, that was flat, it stank of rotton cooking oil and there was only 5-6 other people in there. Group of blokes came in and walked straight back out (we should of done but it had just started to rain)....on the other hand the 3 Daws was excellent. Looking at some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and Google it does seem to have gone downhill somewhat, still not to much of a problem as the 3 Daws (almost next door) was more then good enough for what we wanted....maybe I'll pop in there for a 1/2 the next time I'm in Gravesend, to see how it's going....may have to stick to the lager though.
    I went on Wednesday they had three on. Piss poor if for the weekend they only have one left and that one was rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You wouldn't remember it by that name, as it was called the new falcon back then. Seems that in the last 30 years, 80% of the pubs in Gravesend have shut/burned down and the remining 20% have changed their names...............

• Options
    I legitimately opened this thread thinking we were signing a new player from Gravesend.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I legitimately opened this thread thinking we were signing a new player from Gravesend.

Well, that's about our limit these days............
  • Options
    The older folk among us, may remember the Three Daws as a pub for people of questionable sexuality (we were allowed to point that out at the time) A particularly colourful character to frequent the place was known as Blossom. He could often be found wandering around Gravesend wearing his pink feather boa.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I opened it assuming that Jason had been up to mischief again
  • Options
    Has the Rum Puncheon closed? I went past there at 12.30 today;the curtains were closed and it looked pretty lifeless.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

The older folk among us, may remember the Three Daws as a pub for people of questionable sexuality (we were allowed to point that out at the time) A particularly colourful character to frequent the place was known as Blossom. He could often be found wandering around Gravesend wearing his pink feather boa.

Decent pub these days. A mate of mine regularly appears there with his punk band the Hippy Tart Heroes.
  • Options

You wouldn't remember it by that name, as it was called the new falcon back then. Seems that in the last 30 years, 80% of the pubs in Gravesend have shut/burned down and the remining 20% have changed their names...............

I remember the Dickens being burnt down TWICE in the 8 years I lived in Gravesend. I went down past the Dickens estate recently (shudder) and the old Dickens pub is now a Kwik Fit. I always wonder what the residents of the new houses they built opposite the Dickens estate thought once they moved in. Glossy sales brochures praising the virtues of Gravesend & its cultural heritage and didn't think to tell them what was really on their doorstep.
  • Options

I remember the Dickens being burnt down TWICE in the 8 years I lived in Gravesend. I went down past the Dickens estate recently (shudder) and the old Dickens pub is now a Kwik Fit. I always wonder what the residents of the new houses they built opposite the Dickens estate thought once they moved in. Glossy sales brochures praising the virtues of Gravesend & its cultural heritage and didn't think to tell them what was really on their doorstep.
    I lived in Havengore Ave....more Milton then Denton....could be like the wild west down there.
  • Options
    I went to the Rum Puncheon just before Christmas and tried the front door. It was locked. A gentleman came out from the side door and said that the pub was under refurbishment. He invited me in to look round and sure enough the pub was completly gutted. He told me he was the landlord and had bought the pub along with wife Jackie and hoped to turn the pub round after years of neglect. I had a long chat and it turned out that he was a former Millwall player called Darren Morgan who played for the Lions in the Teddy Sherringham era. Don't give up on this pub because it is in a good location next to the Tilbury/Gravesend Ferry on the banks of the River Thames.