Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spot the old player - With a difference

2»

Comments

• Options
    Middle row far left
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A pity KR could not get a copy of these pages and put them up in the dressing room, then perhaps the players would realise how you are meant to feel playing for this club. I would suggest giving a copy to RD and KM, but they do not do history
  • Options
    What a great read. Thanks for posting
  • Options
    Have seen that photo before. I always thought it was a shame that there seems to be a smudge over one of the players eyes. I wonder if out there somewhere is another copy in a better state.
  • Options
    Back row, third from the right, Marcus Bent
  • Options
    I have flipped the photo as this was mentioned and enhanced it
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

I have flipped the photo as this was mentioned and enhanced it

Crusty what are you playing at! you have just changed the face of history and thrown out my theory of a left sided parting.
  • Options
    Henry, I really enjoyed reading those pages you posted from the 1955 Jubilee handbook.

That was a real find - and with so much detail recorded in that interview from Eddie Marshall himself.
    Fascinating stuff with anecdotes which otherwise would have been lost as time moves on.

Many thanks for posting it.

• Options
    Thanks for posting that Henry.

Particularly like the thought of, 'The noise and laughter at night used to startle the country folk as the brakes used to rumble through the Kentish villages on the homeward journey'.

Also liked the idea of the gold medal. Who in modern times would have been the last candidate for that? Keith Peacock?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago

Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.
    Assuming he survived the First World War, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our older posters may have family that remembered him as an older man or knew his family/descendants.

Any descendants of the early players still around who might be able to shed any light on that team photo?

A copy of that photo with names would be the equivalent of the Rosetta Stone to the Museum
    Did Gary Merryweather have anything passed down?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago

Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.
    Assuming he survived the First World War, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our older posters may have family that remembered him as an older man or knew his family/descendants.

Any descendants of the early players still around who might be able to shed any light on that team photo?

A copy of that photo with names would be the equivalent of the Rosetta Stone to the Museum
    Did Gary Merryweather have anything passed down?
    No