Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New 12 sided £1 coin dated 2016 worth hundreds

This is what newspaper reports are saying.

"More than 200,000 of the brand new coins were sent out to retailers last year for "testing". They were classed as "trial coins" only - and are not legitimate tender, however, they're being flogged for hundreds of pounds on eBay .

Owner "Glanvog" sold his edition for £200 last month, after bidders ramped up the war for the sought after coin. Experts are now predicting their value to spike even further after launch".

However, I've just looked on e-bay and it seems £4 is what they are going for.

I've acquired one today.

Any comments ?

Comments

• Options
    Don't spend it on a pack of Refreshers?
  • Options
    Who collects these kind of things? I mean i get why people collect money but to pay hundreds for something that's only worth a quid makes no sense.
  • Options
    The real coin to look for is the undated 20p
    They regularly sell for around £40 if you have one.

Rare...If I remember right, they minted something like 100million in 2008 and only 250 thousand went undated.
  • Options

Who collects these kind of things? I mean i get why people collect money but to pay hundreds for something that's only worth a quid makes no sense.

Fundamental economics. Money isn't 'worth' anything in itself except as an accepted means of exchange. And a coin is only worth what someone is willing to exchange for it. If that is £100 then that is exactly what it's worth
    That's what it's worth to the person paying the £100 at the time of purchase. It's not the worth of the coin
  • Options
    How do I post not as a thumbnail?
  • Options
    I've got five of them dated 2016, means feck all, they are still worth £1 each
  • Options
    Don't spend it by mistake! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A bit like wine collecting. A forty year old bottle of wine is most likely a 40 year old bottle of vinegar.