Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor McAleny

Was he so bad, or did we not give him a chance? doing brilliant for Oxford as we can testify to our cost. Tuesday night against Bury he was at it again

A Conor McAleny hat-trick helped Oxford United maintain their League One play-off hopes in an emphatic win against relegation-threatened Bury.

Everton loanee McAleny bagged his second hat-trick of the season for the U's as the hosts dominated throughout.

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

Was he so bad, or did we not give him a chance? doing brilliant for Oxford as we can testify to our cost. Tuesday night against Bury he was at it again

A Conor McAleny hat-trick helped Oxford United maintain their League One play-off hopes in an emphatic win against relegation-threatened Bury.

Everton loanee McAleny bagged his second hat-trick of the season for the U's as the hosts dominated throughout.

Let's face it. A loan to us is a kick start to ANY career... The only way is up after that!
  • Options
    I saw him play twice and he looked awful. Which isn't to say he's an awful player but he clearly wasn't doing what he had been loaned in to do.

I'll no doubt be corrected but I don't remember him playing much out of position.
  • Options
    I think we've very quickly become worse than him.
  • Options
    Charlronised. Decent player played out of position by us.
  • Options

It's a division lower and he's a year more experienced...

But, we loan out a winger (Harriott) and bring in a young striker as a replacement. It's hardly surprising he struggled to produce the creativity when it's not his game.

Although to be fair those six months at a lower division really helped Harriott.

He was in disjointed team struggling for creativity and patterns of play. But I think the big factor is that it was the decision above the one he's currently excelling in. At only 23 or whatever he is, it's also possible that he's just improved his game in the last year and a half.
  • Options
    Thought he was awful on the wing and even worse when he got close to goal - his shooting made Churchy look like Roberto Carlos.
  • Options
    One of the must ineffective loan players we've suffered. As lightweight as can be and a shot with all the power of Simon Church in Valium!!
  • Options
    Dont forget he won this Division with Wigan on loan last season.

Definitely adequate at League One level, can he make the jump to the Championship... thats the question and on the basis of seeing him with Charlton its currently no
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

One of the must ineffective loan players we've suffered. As lightweight as can be and a shot with all the power of Simon Church in Valium!!

Except when he shot at The Valley against us!
  • Options

Him picking the ball up and taking a throw-in before the ball even went out, is up there with Pigott running the ball out of play vs Millwall as one of the funniest things I've seen at a football match

This, never seen anything like it in professional football before or since.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Except when he shot at The Valley against us!
    And most of all his other goals have been from 20 yards plus.
  • Options
    Personally I thought he either looked quality and the ability to change a game or completely and utterly anonymous.

Really thought there was a player there, just wrong club at completely the wrong time
  • Options
    Thought he was poor in his spell with us and never rated Ajose this season either must be something about the place.
  • Options
    To be honest thought he looked better than average when he was with us - but Slade was in charge then and the 'line' seemed to be 'keep it tight, keep it safe'. As a result he hardly excelled.
  • Options
    Thought that McAleny was awful for us, although seems ages ago since he was here. But at the time we were a real mess, and a young player coming into that environment was never going to thrive.

He clearly has something about him for him to still be on Everton's books and doing well for Oxford. Just he was crap for us and that's how it goes sometimes.
  • Options

To be honest thought he looked better than average when he was with us - but Slade was in charge then and the 'line' seemed to be 'keep it tight, keep it safe'. As a result he hardly excelled.

He was here under Luzon last season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

And was sent back to Everton by Fraeye because he wasnt up to the relegation fight apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

That was only last season? Bloody ell feels ages ago. At least 5 managers ago.... :p
  • Options

Scoham said:

That was only last season? Bloody ell feels ages ago. At least 5 managers ago.... :p
    I must get to more home games!

The last 4 years have been.......a dystopia
  • Options

Scoham said:

I must get to more home games!

The last 4 years have been.......a dystopia
    You had an out there after my post, you should have said 'No not McAleny, I was referring to Ajose' but fair play for putting your hands up :wink: .
  • Options
    You have to be really poor not to score against Bury though... Oh dear.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I think we've very quickly become worse than him.

This
  • Options
    I remember thinking he was rubbish, but nothing else about him...