Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

France v Spain & video assisted referee

First I've heard of this happening. Must be a trial to see how it goes.

It's already been used twice and proved to be right both times.

1. France had the ball in the net. Goal given. Video technology shows offside. Goal disallowed.

2. Spain put the ball in the net. Goal disallowed for offside. Video tech shows player onside. Goal given.

Comments

• Brilliant news
  • Awful news
  • Chizz said:

Awful news

Why? Do you want games decided by wrong decisions?
  • Chizz said:

Awful news

What if those doing the video technology get if wrong... Happens in cricket. And to what is it going to be applied to. I want a game to ffinish at 16.55/21.40 not 18.00 & 22.30
  • I didnt see the game last night as i was working, but a colleague this morning said the atmosphere went flat during and after the review.
  • It was used during the Club World Cup as well.

How long was the game stopped for before the decision was made, thats the main thing?
  • They're still waiting for it to restart.
  • First I've heard of this happening. Must be a trial to see how it goes.

1. France had the ball in the net. Goal given. Video technology shows offside. Goal disallowed.

2. Spain put the ball in the net. Goal disallowed for offside. Video tech shows player onside. Goal given.

I'm all for getting the decision correct and haven't seen these incidents but what happens if in the second incident, the ref blows for offside and defending players stop.
  • Why have a ref and linesman, why not a panel of officials with loud speakers in the stand. Crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• This has to be the way forward IMO.

I don't think things would have gone flat if our goal against Millwall had been reviewed! Ref's need the support to get the big decisions right.
  • The longest it took for a decision was 50 seconds, so far less than the amount of time players usually take to celebrate a goal and get back in position for the kick-off. Some of you seem to be looking for problems, complaining about things that didn't happen (I don't want a game to finish at 6pm, if you'd watched last nights game, or even read about it you'd have seen it finished at normal time).

Clearly said i didnt see it.... What happens if someone scores from a corner and it should be a goal kick. A penalty that should not have been . A throw in that should go the other way, wrong free kick, list is endless... Still think the game in normal time or are we only review offside decisions.
  • First I've heard of this happening. Must be a trial to see how it goes.

Err... well, isn't the whole point that it is right, that's the entire reason for referring it?

I think they used it in a France v Italy friendly too, as well as the aforementioned World Club Cup.

Don't approve myself, I like football to be the same game from Sunday league to the World Cup final. Begrudgingly accept goal line technology, as that is a fact, not an opinion.

It will be adopted though, and another lump of football's soul will disappear. :unamused:

• To what levels will it be applied. Just to the premier league again i assume.
  • The bit that worries me is that play continued after the linesman put his flag up just in case the decision later turned out to be wrong.

Does this mean that refs will let the game continue when there appears to be an offside and check the video technology if the attacking team gain an advantage?
  • I would like the captains to have two appeals for a review per game.

I believe the FA wish to trial it in the FA Cup next season, no doubt from the 4th/5th round onwards though.
  • Redrobo said:

I would like the captains to have two appeals for a review per game.

that's too similar to cricket and in my opinion, wouldn't work for football at all.
  • Redrobo said:

I would like the captains to have two appeals for a review per game.

Would our captain have appealed for "that" throw in against Fulham?

Thin end of the wedge I am afraid. Two appeals get turned down, five minutes from time there's a howler of a decision you can do nothing about. I can hear Hansen's voice in my head now (I don't know why, it's always Hansen, even though he gave it up a while back...): ", That's a shocking decision, why limit appeals to two? It's absurd. They have got the technology, why not use it?".

Then fans like Red Robbo and Fortune 82nd minute get behind it, and then it goes to three appeals, and four appeals, and five appeals...

I think you get my drift.
  • Sponsored links:

• I really don't agree with this. I have no issue with goal line technology but reviews of offside, penalties and so on is taking the referee out of the game. As others have said, if a referee blows for offside and the keeper makes no attempt to stop the shot because he heard the whistle/saw the flag, how on earth could a TMO award a goal?

Mistakes made by referees are part and parcel of the game and always have been. Besides that, there would be nothing for Mourinho to get apoplectic about!

I believe the FA wish to trial it in the FA Cup next season, no doubt from the 4th/5th round onwards though.
    I ask this as i was at a game on Saturday hartley wintney v Horley town. Hartley needed a point to win the league and promotion (they were denied last year as their ground needed upgrading). They were trailing 1-0, when they were denied a clear penalty which was a trip a yard inside the box. I saw it as i was inline. Lino gave a free kick outside. Of course they didn't score and lost. After last year it mattered to them as their ground has been updated, so it should also apply at this level.

I ask this as i was at a game on Saturday hartley wintney v Horley town. Hartley needed a point to win the league and promotion (they were denied last year as their ground needed upgrading). They were trailing 1-0, when they were denied a clear penalty which was a trip a yard inside the box. I saw it as i was inline. Lino gave a free kick outside. Of course they didn't score and lost. After last year it mattered to them as their ground has been updated, so it should also apply at this level.
    agreed, but we all know it only matters at the highest level because of the money involved, and not morality. Sympathy for Hartley, but the FA will only care about the multi-million pound decisions and the decisions at the very top. The decisions that Mr Wenger makes a point about complaining about every week.
  • Biggest concern I have is that most decisions now split opinion.

Watch Match of the Day and they have 7 replays in slow motion all from different angles and the two pundits STILL disagree, what happens then?
    1 person makes a decision after watching footage and tells the ref, but its likely some decisions will still be disputed. Then you have more outrage that even with video technology its still wrong etc.

Goal line technology works because there is no grey area its either a goal or not.

Even offsides have become ridiculous imo
    You see goals sometimes and pundits and fans cry "oh look in this picture his left knee is in an offside position"

agreed, but we all know it only matters at the highest level because of the money involved, and not morality. Sympathy for Hartley, but the FA will only care about the multi-million pound decisions and the decisions at the very top. The decisions that Mr Wenger makes a point about complaining about every week.
    How much do you think this technology will cost? How could it possibly be filtered down to grass roots football?

Agreed
  • bobmunro said:

To what levels will it be applied. Just to the premier league again i assume.

How much do you think this technology will cost? How could it possibly be filtered down to grass roots football?
    because the FA could afford it?
  • Yes they could
  • Chizz said:

Awful news

What if those doing the video technology get if wrong... Happens in cricket. And to what is it going to be applied to. I want a game to ffinish at 16.55/21.40 not 18.00 & 22.30
    What a load of tosh, I have never seen a rugby game run over by an hour due to video appeals.
  • It will only work if play has already stopped, for example:

Goal scored - agreed or overturned
    Penalty awarded - agreed or overturned
    Corner/throw in - agreed or overturned

You can't use it to stop the game in play, for example:

Penalty not given - how can you stop the game, find out it is not a penalty as previously decided by the ref, and then expect play to continue when the defending team could have launched a counter attack and scored?