Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The last ever greyhound meeting in London/Wimbledon Saturday 25th March

Comments

• Options

"Travelling to London"? QED. :wink:

Nah - Bexley is a London Borough - part of Greater London - just because the Post Office use a DA code for Crayford doesn't magically transport it back into Kent !!!!
    Well according to you it got magically transported into London when the Borough of Bexley was founded in 1965... Did the magic finish after then? :smiley:

Ok - if I said to you Thamesmead was in London you would agree with me - yes ?

Crayford and Thamesmead are both part of Bexley Borough........

QED
    You answer my question, I'll answer yours. :wink:

Interestingly Thamesmead as a London postcode - SE28 - was a later addition (funny how conversations like this teach you stuff when researching), carved out of SE2 and SE18. Also discovered that the original London postcodes are 100 years old this year.

I will answer your question, BTW. As I have already stated, my position is that London has London postcodes, I have not said you are wrong, I said each to their own. As a former Bromley resident, I lived in Penge, which had a London postcode. My in-laws live in Biggin Hill, which has a Tonbridge postcode. As far as I am concerned, I lived in London, they lived in Kent. In fact, the people across the road from the end of my street lived in Kent, as they had a BR postcode...
    Yes but people who live in biggin hill and Crayford have a vote in the London mayor elections - people who live in Dartford and Tonbridge (both kent) don't - the post office don't decide what constitutes London
  • Options
    edited March 2017

cafcfan said:

I go by postcode. As I said, each to their own.

Well, that could lead you astray. I've family and friends that live in Suffolk but have a Colchester postcode.

There is of course, also Romford dogs in the London Borough of Havering.
    The TN postcode covers Sussex and a tiny bit of Surrey too. I only apply my criteria to London.
    But it seems you only have one, somewhat flawed criterion. When does it apply from? Do you exclude the actual City of London because it is its own County? Do you take account of West and East Ham being left out of the London County Council in 1899? Is it just Greater London you don't like?

Edited to add: further research shows that in 1832 Blackheath (which included Greenwich & Charlton) was in Kent. Disturbingly, in that year it seems that all Blackheath Hundreds were moved into East Surrey.
  • Options

Matchday parking restrictions to beyond Earlsfield, Wimbledon and Tooting Broadway would surely negate a lot of that problem?

There's obviously a lot more controlled parking areas around there than there was the last time football was played at a Plough Lane stadium but like the area surrounding the Valley it doesn't stop everybody driving to the match and it doesn't take a lot to slow the traffic down around those roads.
  • Options
    Sorry everyone I got it wrong, apologies to LF and cafcfan for offending you. Back to the doggies.
  • Options

Nah - Bexley is a London Borough - part of Greater London - just because the Post Office use a DA code for Crayford doesn't magically transport it back into Kent !!!!
    Well according to you it got magically transported into London when the Borough of Bexley was founded in 1965... Did the magic finish after then? :smiley:

QED

Interestingly Thamesmead as a London postcode - SE28 - was a later addition (funny how conversations like this teach you stuff when researching), carved out of SE2 and SE18. Also discovered that the original London postcodes are 100 years old this year.

I will answer your question, BTW. As I have already stated, my position is that London has London postcodes, I have not said you are wrong, I said each to their own. As a former Bromley resident, I lived in Penge, which had a London postcode. My in-laws live in Biggin Hill, which has a Tonbridge postcode. As far as I am concerned, I lived in London, they lived in Kent. In fact, the people across the road from the end of my street lived in Kent, as they had a BR postcode...
    Yes but people who live in biggin hill and Crayford have a vote in the London mayor elections - people who live in Dartford and Tonbridge (both kent) don't - the post office don't decide what constitutes London
    the real issue is are we going to take back north Woolwich from those lot across the river?
  • Options

QED

the real issue is are we going to take back north Woolwich from those lot across the river?
    Do we want North Woolwich !!!
  • Options
    Sad but a sign of changing times. Had some brilliant evenings at Wimbledon. both dogs and cars.
  • Options

The extra traffic this is going to bring to Plough Lane is going to be a nightmare and if it starts causing issues for ambulances getting to St George's then they can probably kiss goodbye to expanding the stadium. It might have to remain a tiny club or move out of the area again.

Don't see it as any more traffic than blackshaw road has to deal with every rush hour and the ambulances can deal with that just fine.

There are also good transport links to the ground and imagine a lot of people will get train, tube, bus etc so think the transport thing is being over played.

As a resident of earlsfield I am happy to see them moving back there, that part of of the area all around summers town in disgusting.

There will be the residents of 600 homes and and up to 11,000 football fans added to the traffic and general mix of movement in Plough Lane, Blackshaw Road and Summerstown pre and, in particular, post match. I think people have underestimated the potential for a knock-on gridlock this will cause. Other than Haydons Road station, those good transport links for that stadium that you refer to will only be accessible by the 'fit' willing to hike to Earlsfield, Wimbledon or Tooting Broadway stations, which given that most of the local pubs in that area around the stadium have long closed down might be what will be the preferred choice for most fans anyway. A thousand or more football fans passing through or stopping to drink in Earlsfied on a regular basis might change your mind about being happy to see AFC Wimbledon back at Plough Lane.

Most fans will come via train, from Waterloo/Clapham junction (that includes away fans) just like they do today outside Kingston.

The roads aren't ever that busy round here on a Saturday (with the exception of around Wandsworth town) so don't see it as much of an issue.

Earlsfield will be the likeliest destination, some great pubs round there.
  • Options

The extra traffic this is going to bring to Plough Lane is going to be a nightmare and if it starts causing issues for ambulances getting to St George's then they can probably kiss goodbye to expanding the stadium. It might have to remain a tiny club or move out of the area again.

Don't see it as any more traffic than blackshaw road has to deal with every rush hour and the ambulances can deal with that just fine.

There are also good transport links to the ground and imagine a lot of people will get train, tube, bus etc so think the transport thing is being over played.

As a resident of earlsfield I am happy to see them moving back there, that part of of the area all around summers town in disgusting.

There will be the residents of 600 homes and and up to 11,000 football fans added to the traffic and general mix of movement in Plough Lane, Blackshaw Road and Summerstown pre and, in particular, post match. I think people have underestimated the potential for a knock-on gridlock this will cause. Other than Haydons Road station, those good transport links for that stadium that you refer to will only be accessible by the 'fit' willing to hike to Earlsfield, Wimbledon or Tooting Broadway stations, which given that most of the local pubs in that area around the stadium have long closed down might be what will be the preferred choice for most fans anyway. A thousand or more football fans passing through or stopping to drink in Earlsfied on a regular basis might change your mind about being happy to see AFC Wimbledon back at Plough Lane.

Hike to Earlsfield or Tooting, leave out! its a 10-15 minute walk with the walk to Earlsfield having a number of nice pubs on the way to it.

For the ones who cannot do the walk there are three buses they can get in either direction.

The bigger more constant impact on the roads is the additional flats built on the old ground
  • Options
    So much competition to the dogs these days with so many other sporting events on. Generally speaking there isn't much investment in greyhounds which doesn't attract spectators or new owners.

Taking out some major events like the derby, the winner on a sky race the other night only got £500.

I quite enjoy going to Crayford occasionally. You can have a reasonably cheap relaxed night out but it's hard to take the board bookmakers seriously when they bet to 140+% so all I do is just have a few quid on the tote.

Crayford usually seems quite busy but I went to Wimbledon on a Saturday night last year and it was virtually empty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread has gone to the dogs
  • Options
    When I were a lad you'd go down Shooters Hill towards Welling just past the Anchor In Hope pub and the road changed colour from grey to pink.

That's where Welling Kent started I was told and I stick to that.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

When I were a lad you'd go down Shooters Hill towards Welling just past the Anchor In Hope pub and the road changed colour from grey to pink.

Hmmmmm
  • Options
    Always enjoy(ed) a trip to the dogs but my last visit to Wimbledon, 2-3 years ago, was in some ways a dispriting affair. The place looked very tatty, the atmosphere was a bit thin...this on a pleasant Saturday night, never mind a freezing Tuesday in February. Not difficult to see why it could never last, given changes in betting options others have outlined.
  • Options
    This thread, urrrrggghhhhh.

Anyway, best to keep going to Crayford so that it avoids a similar fate.
  • Options

Free entry on a Saturday morning at Crayford dogs - used to take the kids there when they were younger - plus they open the bar early doors

Dog racing is so bent though - never bet big at the dogs - treat it as a bit of fun
  • Options

One of the past heroes of Plough Lane (still going at 84)...
  • Options
    Now Catford that was a dog track.
  • Options

Free entry on a Saturday morning at Crayford dogs - used to take the kids there when they were younger - plus they open the bar early doors

Dog racing is so bent though - never bet big at the dogs - treat it as a bit of fun
    I can assure you dog racing is most likely the straightest sport going that you can bet on. Humans are cheats and on a horse or bike or track or field are proven to have cheated. Every dog is drug tested before and after racing, and randomly at kennels. Drop a trainer a £1000 an he will fit one up for you. Yes course he will, he has kennel with 50 or more dogs a wife kids, staff mortgage. But he is going to risk all that because you are going to drop him a few quid ! The Ngrc take his licence away and that's it no work, you can't just go down the road, you are well and truly screwed.

I would love your explanation of well and truly bent ? Maybe 30 years ago, people could pull a stroke today ! No way.
  • Options

Who is this ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who is this ?
    I'm not sure but he certainly has aged well.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Who is this ?
    Ronnie Moore MBE. Kiwi (but born in Tasmania), double world champion, three times runner up. During a long career, he had several stints at Plough Lane. Won the world championship the first time in 1954 while riding with a broken leg.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I can assure you dog racing is most likely the straightest sport going that you can bet on. Humans are cheats and on a horse or bike or track or field are proven to have cheated. Every dog is drug tested before and after racing, and randomly at kennels. Drop a trainer a £1000 an he will fit one up for you. Yes course he will, he has kennel with 50 or more dogs a wife kids, staff mortgage. But he is going to risk all that because you are going to drop him a few quid ! The Ngrc take his licence away and that's it no work, you can't just go down the road, you are well and truly screwed.

I would love your explanation of well and truly bent ? Maybe 30 years ago, people could pull a stroke today ! No way.
    I wonder if keeping a dog thirsty and then giving him a bucket of water just before the off still goes on?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Except that the Anchor & Hope and the petrol station are in Welling (Bexley), as is the housing opposite all the way up Bellegrove Road to the woods. So it's unlikely that what you describe was ever the boundary.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Really not sure I understand why there has been such a pull back in greyhound racing in the last ten years or so at a time when gambling has seen such a rise?

Anyone have an explanation?

Many reasons, Dan.

In 1946 there were 77 licensed tracks in the UK, now less than 25. Most of those tracks were in fairly run down urban areas that have either been deserted or redeveloped. In 1946 34 million paying customers went to the dogs (second only to football), today it is less than 2 million. Popularity peaked in the 60s but then other attractions for spare time activities lead to fewer people going - it became an old man's sport and has never really been seen as glamorous. Horse racing on the other hand has seen attendances rising in recent years as the 'product' is now being packaged better (and it has always been see as glamorous). Animal welfare issues in the 60s and 70s also got the industry a very bad (and justified) reputation - things have improved greatly in this area though.

The remaining tracks now exist to provide live-streaming for online bookmakers - fewer tracks needed, poorer quality betting fodder racing, poor facilities - it all adds to the decline.

However betting off-track on greyhound racing has never been bigger!!

It's such a shame as a lot of social history links to greyhound racing in the UK - and there was something really unique about the White City roar as the hare started running for the Greyhound Derby.
  • Options
    I shall be there.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    If you move from a DA postcode to an SE postcode it solves this problem.

Never again will I need to have this discussion.
  • Options
    Halix said:

I wonder if keeping a dog thirsty and then giving him a bucket of water just before the off still goes on?
    Halix said:

Again not possible. The kennelling procedure is the same at all licenced tracks. Dogs arrive 2 hours before racing starts and are identitity checked, then put before the vet and weighed. The dog is then placed in an air conditioned kennel, WITH WATER where it stays until about 20 minutes before its race. It is then taken out , paraded for the vet once again and then coated up ready for the race.

So it is not possible and never has been to make a dog thirsty then give it a bucket full of water. Also over feeding the dog is not possible. If a dog pukes up at the track, believe it or not the sick is bagged and weighed. If the amount of food is deemed to be more than a dog would be expected to eat pre a race, the trainer is called to the stewards.

You may be talking about unlicensed flapping which is virtually unknown these days. An is as close to license dog racing, as two travellers bare knuckle in a car park is to Lewis v Holyfield in Las Vegas.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Except that the Anchor & Hope and the petrol station are in Welling (Bexley), as is the housing opposite all the way up Bellegrove Road to the woods. So it's unlikely that what you describe was ever the boundary.
    Airman - you replied to this at 3.07am !!!!!

i salute you :-)