Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laws of the Game - Fun Quiz

Simply as a piece of fun, I propose to list some match day incidents for you to test your knowledge of this game we all love. I must stress it is only a bit of fun and it is not designed to embarrass anyone. The rules are as follows:

1. I will describe a match day incident and leave the question open for 48 hours to enable answers to be posted. After that period, I will provide the answer and then place the second question.

2. As it is only a bit of fun, may I request that nobody looks at the Laws of the Game for the answer (after all, referees cannot do so during a live game). However if you do look, the specific incident will not be referred to in the law; however by reading and studying the law, you ought to be able to arrive at the correct answer.

3. Some of the questions may be a two horse race. In other words, if the answer requires a "yes" or "no", can you qualify the answer with an explanation to demonstrate that you have not just guessed at the answer.

4. Finally, may I ask that any qualified referees on here do not pose their answers until near the end of the 48 hour period, so allowing the rest of us to have a stab before the answer is revealed.

Have fun!!

Question One For the older members on here, I am going to refer to the Flash/Killer incident in the FA Cup game against Margate in the 70s/80s (?).

Match Incident The ball in in play on the halfway line and in possession by a Margate player. Flash and Killer (two Charlton players) decide to fight each other, whilst positioned (we shall say for the purposes of the question), in the Margate penalty area. The match referee stops the game and sends off both Charlton players. Question (two parts) How does the referee restart the game and where does the referee restart the game.

Best of luck!!

Comments

• Options
    No idea, but as a guess a free kick to Margate in their penalty area (i.e. where the incident took place)
  • Options

No idea, but as a guess a free kick to Margate in their penalty area (i.e. where the incident took place)

I would agree with this.
  • Options

I would say as it was an off the ball incident between teammates, the game would restart with a drop ball roughly where Margate had the ball when the whistle went?

This.
  • Options
    Not sure on the how, but I think the where would be either Margate or Charlton
  • Options
    Yeah I think drop ball from where the Margate player had it when the ref blew his whistle. Up to Charlton whether to contest it or not but I guess the Gentleman's agreement would say they should kick it back.
  • Options
    Margate????? You sure?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Simply as a piece of fun, I propose to list some match day incidents for you to test your knowledge of this game we all love. I must stress it is only a bit of fun and it is not designed to embarrass anyone. The rules are as follows:

1. I will describe a match day incident and leave the question open for 48 hours to enable answers to be posted. After that period, I will provide the answer and then place the second question.

2. As it is only a bit of fun, may I request that nobody looks at the Laws of the Game for the answer (after all, referees cannot do so during a live game). However if you do look, the specific incident will not be referred to in the law; however by reading and studying the law, you ought to be able to arrive at the correct answer.

3. Some of the questions may be a two horse race. In other words, if the answer requires a "yes" or "no", can you qualify the answer with an explanation to demonstrate that you have not just guessed at the answer.

4. Finally, may I ask that any qualified referees on here do not pose their answers until near the end of the 48 hour period, so allowing the rest of us to have a stab before the answer is revealed.

Have fun!!

Question One For the older members on here, I am going to refer to the Flash/Killer incident in the FA Cup game against Margate in the 70s/80s (?).

Match Incident The ball in in play on the halfway line and in possession by a Margate player. Flash and Killer (two Charlton players) decide to fight each other, whilst positioned (we shall say for the purposes of the question), in the Margate penalty area. The match referee stops the game and sends off both Charlton players. Question (two parts) How does the referee restart the game and where does the referee restart the game.

Best of luck!!

I would think it would start with a indirect free kick where the players started fighting, as unsporting behaviour/violent conduct.

A quick question for you Peter, if a opposition player is standing behind you and deliberately shouts "Man on" to you knowing it would put you off and that no one was around you, Would you award a free kick against him? My thinking is that it would count as unsporting behavior?
  • Options
    I would guess the game is restarted from the halfway line where possession last was.
    Charlton give possession back to Margate.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Margate????? You sure?

I thought it was Maidstone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was an FA cup tie with Maidstone. 9th January 1979.

Flanagan called Hayles a one-bollocked bastard. Sensitive subject I understand.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Have fun!!

Best of luck!!

I would think it would start with a indirect free kick where the players started fighting, as unsporting behaviour/violent conduct.

A quick question for you Peter, if a opposition player is standing behind you and deliberately shouts "Man on" to you knowing it would put you off and that no one was around you, Would you award a free kick against him? My thinking is that it would count as unsporting behavior?
    If the referee considered the action was likely to put off the receiving player, the correct action would be to caution the opponent for Unsorting Behaviour and award an indirect fee-kick to the aggrieved team.
  • Options

If the referee considered the action was likely to put off the receiving player, the correct action would be to caution the opponent for Unsorting Behaviour and award an indirect fee-kick to the aggrieved team.

Surely the shouter is doing the member of the opposition a favour? Obviously the poor so-and-so has no teammate within earshot to warn him so the shouter has helped him out?
  • Options
    I would have thought a drop ball on halfway. definitely contested by both teams as this is the late '70s and there's none of that soft letting the opponents have the ball malarkey going on
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I would agree with this.
    I should add it would be an Indirect Free Kick.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Daisy is obviously having an effect on our history! Margate/Maidstone...who cares! Now we've replaced Derek Hales with Barry Hayles

Sad times indeed :wink:
  • Options
    drop ball where the Maidstone player had the ball when the incident occurred.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

"Killer, has only got one ball"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wickford said:

Surely the shouter is doing the member of the opposition a favour? Obviously the poor so-and-so has no teammate within earshot to warn him so the shouter has helped him out?

The referee may deem that to be Unsporting Behaviour and act as I said. Saying "man on" by an opponent can be seen as hurrying the receiving to make a decision where otherwise he would have had more time to weigh up his options; but I would suggest it perhaps is not so bad as an a member of the opposition shouting "leave it".
  • Options
    Free kick to maidstone ,fromwhere players sent off.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    PeterGage said:

wickford said:

Is this a special rule for the Post Office XI? :wink:
  • Options
    Hales had been caught offside sparking the confrontation with Flanagan who had passed to him. Free kick from Hales' offside position.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

"Killer, has only got one ball"
    Where's the other one then?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm going to plump for a dropped ball where it was when the play was stopped. However had it been two of my team mates I would probably have questioned the referee's parentage and joined them in the changing room in the hope that two more having a punch up and getting sent off would have got the game abandoned :wink: .
  • Options
    A (contested) dropped ball, to be taken as close as possible to the point the ball was when the whistle went, UNLESS...

... Charlton had had three players sent off prior to this incident. In which case the referee would

(a) abandon the game
    (b) explain the detail of all incidents in his post-match report
    (c) get changed as quickly as possible
    (d) leave the ground, sharpish - probably in disguise
  • Options
    Do you think killer would appreciate the irony of a dropped ball?
  • Options

Hales had been caught offside sparking the confrontation with Flanagan who had passed to him. Free kick from Hales' offside position.

Not as I remember it. Flanagan was free on the left hand side of the goal and Hales only had to pass it to him for an open goal. Hales tried to score himself and it was saved.