Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuck Berry RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    the man had it all .. musical and financial master (he kept a LOT of the money he earned unlike many other rock n rollers), he was as tough as teak, had great dress sense, super stage presence, saw the world on his terms, was a better poet than many so called geniuses, took no shit from anybody, he seemed to love his life and had a terrific understanding of the problems and motivations of 'ordinary' people .. and perhaps above all he leaves behind a legacy both of his own music and the enormous influence on others that is perhaps unique and could well never be emulated .. one of my HEROES ..
    R I P Chuck, you were an extraordinary man
  • Options
    iainment said:

This thread is akin to paying tribute to Gary Glitter as and when he passes.

Chuck Berry is deserving of little to no mourning.

Which begs the question does the art transcend the artist?

I think it does. There are so many people whose behaviour I abhor but whose art I love. Including Chuck's.
    At what point do you ignore kiddy fiddling on the grounds that you like the artist?
  • Options

iainment said:

I think it does. There are so many people whose behaviour I abhor but whose art I love. Including Chuck's.
    At what point do you ignore kiddy fiddling on the grounds that you like the artist?
    I think, as I said, you can be appalled at the person but appreciate the art.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

I believe they go hand in hand, so it's a no from me.

I mean, I no longer doodle things I picked up from Rolfs Cartoon Club. Also extremely relieved that Tony Hart was never caught up in all that business.

Out of interest, if he was still alive, would you listen to Jimmy Saville hosting a radio show despite knowing his past (if he'd served time for it and miraculously got another job hosting)? After all the art of presenting can be appreciated as an aside to the person, or so I understand it. Genuine question and not serving to dig you out.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

I believe they go hand in hand, so it's a no from me.

I mean, I no longer doodle things I picked up from Rolfs Cartoon Club. Also extremely relieved that Tony Hart was never caught up in all that business.

Out of interest, if he was still alive, would you listen to Jimmy Saville hosting a radio show despite knowing his past (if he'd served time for it and miraculously got another job hosting)? After all the art of presenting can be appreciated as an aside to the person, or so I understand it. Genuine question and not serving to dig you out.
    I don't see him as an artist and never liked his shows anyway. So no I wouldn't listen to his show.

But I have come up with a few that I think transcend themselves with their art.

Caravaggio, Schiele, Picasso, Lippi and Cellini.

I know I could come up with more in all the arts if I took the time.
  • Options
    RIP you musical nonce
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this over the weekend. Mrs Red Robin is a huge fan and so was a bit down about it. Hugely influential to so man musicians. The founding father of rock n roll.
  • Options
    How many of our favourite rockstars from the 60s/70s do you think didn't have sexual contact with underage groupies? I only mean 14/15 year olds.

I doubt the list is too long.
  • Options
    Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley were booked for two shows as a double act in an Auckland nightclub. Chuck gave his first show performance and - as the promoter said - buggered off to the airport. With the promoter in hot pursuit.

The promoter called the cops who asked the promoter for a copy of the contract. He didn't have one with him and Chuck turned round and made his way to the departure lounge.

The promoter described him as a wonderful musician and consummate performer but a mean old bastard. Bo Diddley did extra time in his part of the act.