Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Surtees RIP

John Surtees has passed away, aged 83. A true Motor Sport legend on 2 and 4 wheels.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    Bit by bit all my sporting heroes are slipping away. RIP. Enjoyed those days at Crystal Palace Track in the fifties and sixties.
  • Options
    RIP, met him once a few years ago at the Goodwood Revival and got him to sign my programme. Proper legend.
  • Options
    R I P .. the man even the worst GP circuits could not kill
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

Unlike his desperately unfortunate son who was killed at Brands Hatch in 09.
  • Options
    RIP another legend.
  • Options
    RIP to a sporting legend.
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Unlike his desperately unfortunate son who was killed at Brands Hatch in 09.
    RIP to John...

Remember seeing the incident on TV with his Son; knew at the time it was bad
  • Options
    I got his autograph back in the day; very nice man. First motorbike champion to win F1 title too. Also tried to follow McLaren and others in building his own-named GP car but it never really worked out for him. RIP
  • Options
    Always came across as a really nice guy in all the interviews I've seen on tv and read in the press. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP. True great of motorsport.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Total legend of the motorsport world. Only man to ever win titles on 2 and 4 wheels - he should have had a knighthood in my eyes.

Did so much for junior motorsport in the country. My boy is in karting, and Big John was often at the side of the track encouraging the kids and watching them go round at Buckmore Park.

So sad.
  • Options
    IIRC his brother was a Charlton fan @Norman_Smith
  • Options
    His brother Stuart is friend, and is a CAFC fan, so I got to know a lot about the great man, from his brother's colourful stories of the F1 world. The 'family' have had a few issues over the past few years. He was very well respected at Ferrari, and besides his unique title of being world champion on 2 and 4 wheels, was an astute businessman.
    Sad news indeed.
  • Options

Total legend of the motorsport world. Only man to ever win titles on 2 and 4 wheels - he should have had a knighthood in my eyes.

Did so much for junior motorsport in the country. My boy is in karting, and Big John was often at the side of the track encouraging the kids and watching them go round at Buckmore Park.

So sad.

100% this.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John and Derek Minter were my heroes at Brands back in the day, before he joined MV Agusta.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP John
  • Options
    RIP. Very sad news

From that golden era in the 1950's and 60's when the world of racing produced people like Bill Whitehouse, Stuart Lewis-Evans, Bernie Ecclestone, Jim Clark and Stirling Moss.

Watched a very good programme about John Surtees recently on one of the Sky Sports channels, well worth a watch.
  • Options
    I daresay part of the reason is (was) his unassuming personality but the term unsung hero can rarely be more apt than in the case of John Surtees.

A multi time world motorcycling champion and world champion at formula one too! A unique meaning unique achievement.

The fifties and sixties were more reserved times in terms of publicity for sporting achievement but even by those standards John Surtees was relatively overlooked.

RIP
  • Options
    Growing up in Belvedere, I seem to remember there was a mechanics' garage just off Nuxley Road in the village. The guy who ran it was, I think, the brother of someone famous in motor - racing. Was it the Surtees' family? Ring any bells for anyone else?

RIP John.
  • Options
    RIP John Surtees. A legend in the motor racing world,
  • Options
    If ever a sportsman deserved a knighthood, this was the one. They say Valentino Rossi is handy in a car, and some of the GP guys over the last few years are/were pretty tasty on a bike, but John Surtees was the only person ever to have the guts and the ability to try both two and four wheels at the highest level and win world titles in both disciplines. I do not think we will ever see this again.
  • Options
    A truly amazing sportsman and, by all accounts, a top bloke.
    RIP John.
  • Options
    Saw him at the Crystal Palace motor racing circuit in Formula 2 in the sixties along with Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart & Jim Clark. All heroes, but only one left now. Surtees was a proper gentleman from a great era.
  • Options
    RIP