Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaun Newton wanted by police

Comments

• Options

He needs counselling and help just to help find a steady career. Sporting Chance should help.

After he comes out, of course...

Going "on the lamb" almost guarantees gaol time...
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I think the standard of the Premiership has improved significantly since we were relegated in 2007 and even more so since Newton's career peaked.

I simply don't believe that if he had been born 10-15 years later that he would have made it at that level with his abilities.

Given that you picked me up on my English some time back, I have great pleasure in pointing out that there is no such thing as "Premiership"; try "Premier League" - Karma :-)
    Strictly speaking the Premiership name was only dropped in 2007, several years after Newton had left Charlton.

However I appreciate the importance of karma so am willing to stand corrected despite the above caveat :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Elliott omozusi was convicted of intimidating a witness in a murder trial and sentenced to two and a half years in prison

Remember that one actually, was at Orient at the time or something ?
  • Options

se9addick said:

I think I must have been about 10 whenever he scored that header - felt like it was from the half way line at the time.

Was it against West Brom ? Anyone know the year ?

I think it was his first, thinking tranmere? Maybe wolves?
    I thought it was Tranmere but it may have been Huddersfield
  • Options
    We've got a few players that are stealing a living now - for a start a player who has been out injured for a year and gone missing by all accounts and another who has recently returned to us less fit than when he left us. It's just that they've been given the "all clear" by the regime to commit the crime, especially in the former's case as they may have been contributors to his demise.
  • Options
    What was Steve Jones crime , delivering signed posters two months late ?
    Or did punters get knocked
  • Options
    p.s. none of the above excuses the bad stuff
  • Options

He needs counselling and help just to help find a steady career. Sporting Chance should help.

After he comes out, of course...

Going "on the lamb" almost guarantees gaol time...
    Yes it means help in jail. Making sure he isn't going out to re-offend.
  • Options
    SE9SE9
    edited March 2017
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

Really sad to read, was one of,my favourite players,from that era

He used to really run at players.

Me too cracking goal against Ipswich in the play off at the Valley and always remember one night game when he was like sh*t off a shovel against Notts County? who we smashed about 5-1. His full back looked like he was running in treacle every time Newts switched the after burners on :smiley: .

Fantastic memory

13 Nov 1993 Charlton Athletic v Notts County W 5-1 League Division 1

Charlton Ath: Mike Salmon, Darren Pitcher, Scott Minto, Peter Garland, Phil Chapple, Alan McAleary, Stuart Balmer, Kim Grant, Carl Leaburn, Garry Nelson, Colin Walsh. Subs: Shaun Newton for Peter Garland & Dennis Bailey for Kim Grant

Charlton Ath goalscorers: Garry Nelson 2, Carl Leaburn, Shaun Newton & Colin Walsh.

Half time score: Charlton Ath 1 Notts Co 1

Night game? Took them apart?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Me too cracking goal against Ipswich in the play off at the Valley and always remember one night game when he was like sh*t off a shovel against Notts County? who we smashed about 5-1. His full back looked like he was running in treacle every time Newts switched the after burners on :smiley: .

Fantastic memory

Charlton Ath: Mike Salmon, Darren Pitcher, Scott Minto, Peter Garland, Phil Chapple, Alan McAleary, Stuart Balmer, Kim Grant, Carl Leaburn, Garry Nelson, Colin Walsh. Subs: Shaun Newton for Peter Garland & Dennis Bailey for Kim Grant

Charlton Ath goalscorers: Garry Nelson 2, Carl Leaburn, Shaun Newton & Colin Walsh.

• Options
    The above didn't include quotes I was replying to
  • Options
    SE9 said:

Fantastic memory

The Notts county game was a Saturday. Kim Grant missed an absolute sitter.

The evening game was the 5-0 v West Brom
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Oakster said:
    Great strike at a packed Valley. East stand full - those were the days.
  • Options
    Ronnie Mauge although he never made a first team apearance was in trouble more than once , armed robbery and kidnap springs to mind.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

Can you think of any other job that has had such a huge wage inflation? Serious question (some jokes allowed though!)

No.....there money has shot up a ridiculous amount, maybe wrong but I always thought Newton was a very religious man.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SE9 said:

The above didn't include quotes I was replying to

Oi @SE9 when you get to my age you're allowed a bit of leeway. And thanks to Ricky Otto for clarifying. At least both the opposition wore dark stripes and in October the floodlights may have been on second half, the fact that they were 5 years apart is a minor detail.

Actually you have noticed I wasn't sure of the actual gameI so hands up, I had a look on google and plumped for the wrong one. I would have been at both though on my season ticket :blush:
  • Options

This is so sad.
    It's unbelievably thin that line between keeping your nut down to become a successful footballer & being swept up in the murky world of drugs & crime.
    And it doesn't get any easier once you finish your footballing career.
    Seen it all too often.
    Give it up Newts & get help fella xx

really ?!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

Can you think of any other job that has had such a huge wage inflation? Serious question (some jokes allowed though!)

No.....there money has shot up a ridiculous amount, maybe wrong but I always thought Newton was a very religious man.
    So was Rufus!!
  • Options

PeterGage said:

I think the standard of the Premiership has improved significantly since we were relegated in 2007 and even more so since Newton's career peaked.

I simply don't believe that if he had been born 10-15 years later that he would have made it at that level with his abilities.

Given that you picked me up on my English some time back, I have great pleasure in pointing out that there is no such thing as "Premiership"; try "Premier League" - Karma :-)
    Strictly speaking the Premiership name was only dropped in 2007, several years after Newton had left Charlton.

However I appreciate the importance of karma so am willing to stand corrected despite the above caveat :-)
    Except of course you used "Premiership" in the present , not past tense !
  • Options
    Strangely disappointed that the title of this thread isn't "Shaun Newton on the run"
  • Options

Huskaris said:

So are nonce priests, jihadis and mafia dons
  • Options
    milo said:

Oakster said:
    Great strike at a packed Valley. East stand full - those were the days.

I was in a packed pub in the West End full of Plymouth fans, who had just won the playoff final in the late nineties, singing "Ronnie, Ronnie Mauge" to the Rupert The Bear theme - I didn't realise you had to pronounce his second name with a French accent (it scans with the Rupert the Bear theme if you do).

Nothing to do with footballers that comit crimes, it's just it's Friday afternoon at work, I've got my eye on the clock in weekend mode and if I type something into the computer it looks like I'm working.

edit: and to make a pointless post even worse, I notice that I didn't even quote the previous post discussing Ronnie Mauge
    Liquid lunch? :smile:
  • Options
    SE9 said:

His full back looked like he was running in treacle every time Newts switched the after burners on :smiley: .

Used to love Newts. His volley up at Anfield was my favourite of his goals, but the greatest spectacle was when he was charging down the wing. Probably the fastest player I have seen for us, close run thing with him, Rommedahl, and Danny Haynes.

Was a reasonable stand-in full back too. Can't remember which game it was but there was one occasion when he lost the ball up field near their area, their fullback gave the ball to their winger who was on the halfway line and then proceeded to run forwards with the ball. Newt's made up 20 or 30 yards on him, took the ball off him and started off up towards their end of the pitch again all before their winger had made it as far as the edge of our area.
  • Options
    Keith Peacock is always causing trouble in Bexley village, his uncontrollable after a few beers and a couple of lines of Charlie.