Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton careers ended by injury

Comments

• cafc-west said:

Think you could include Grant Basey. Never really recovered after he was taken out badly by a Plymouth player. Career went downhill and has just announced his retirement.

Was it not Blizzard for Bristol Rovers?
    Blizzard did Basey. The Plymouth bloke (Timor?spelling) did Todorov. The incidents occurred within a few months of each other so easy to confuse with the passage of time.
  • iaitch said:

cafc-west said:

Think you could include Grant Basey. Never really recovered after he was taken out badly by a Plymouth player. Career went downhill and has just announced his retirement.

It was Blizzard of Bristol Rovers that done Basey.
    Filthy challenge.
  • I'm pretty sure Charlie Revell, my old sports teacher at Graham Road in the early 1960's, had to retire through injury around 1950.

Charlie played 22 games for Derby County 1950/51
  • LenGlover said:

cafc-west said:

Blizzard did Basey. The Plymouth bloke (Timor?spelling) did Todorov. The incidents occurred within a few months of each other so easy to confuse with the passage of time.
    That wonderful referee Trevor Kettle was in charge of the Bristol Rovers game where Basey was injured.
  • I'm pretty sure Charlie Revell, my old sports teacher at Graham Road in the early 1960's, had to retire through injury around 1950.

Thanks, I was completely unaware of that.

I may have got it confused with the injury that prevented Charlie appearing in the 1947 Cup Final.

Thanks, I was completely unaware of that.

I may have got it confused with the injury that prevented Charlie appearing in the 1947 Cup Final.
    He may have been injured at Derby because he only played one season.
  • cafc-west said:

Oops think you are right. And @iaitch . Pretty sure it was on TV although my memory is fading fast...
  • Roland if he doesn't @$£% off soon.
  • Cyril Davies
    Mark Penfold

They were the two I thought of when not on original list. Great minds.
  • Cyril Davies
    Mark Penfold

So many good players during the 1970's played for Charlton, and such a shame that the board didn't invest in the team to give us a chance of promotion, especially when Hales and Flanagan were scoring for fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017

John Pender

Pender went on to play over 350 games after leaving us - Bristol City, Burnley, Wigan and Rochdale.

Brilliant at the back alongside Humphrey, Reid and Thompson in the 85/86 season - the 4 of them cost £155k - teixeira's wages for around 3 months.

• edited March 2017
    Wasn't it Blizzard who did Kelly Youga in the home fixture? Certainly was a criminal challenge from a Bristol Rovers player.

Youga was one of the best players early part of that season, with the appalling no-pace/energy legacy of Pardew, Youga was one of the few around that time who was dynamic with some pace. Never anywhere near the same player again.
  • ColinTat said:

Wasn't it Blizzard who did Kelly Youga in the home fixture? Certainly was a criminal challenge from a Bristol Rovers player.

Youga was one of the best players early part of that season, with the appalling no-pace/energy legacy of Pardew, Youga was one of the few around that time who was dynamic with some pace. Never anywhere near the same player again.

I thought he just took a whack to the knee nothing bad
  • Kelly Youga went to kick a ball into outer space when it was already out for a throw and fucked himself up. Idiot.
  • Cory Gibbs .. joined injured, left injured!
  • Andy Hunt, not an injury per se, but definitely an illness.
  • I assume this injury has ended Roger Johnson's Charlton career
  • Scoham said:

Mark Fish really struggled in his last few games for us. Didn't he get injured falling through a glass table?

I thought that was a cover story and that he was attached by a burglar in his house?
  • edited March 2017

LenGlover said:

cafc-west said:

That wonderful referee Trevor Kettle was in charge of the Bristol Rovers game where Basey was injured.
    And rob styles gave a free kick and booking for just about every challenge that went in except for of course the only career ending challenge on toddy which he waved play on to
  • Igor's career isn't over. Played on Saturday and scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brian Ord- In the sixties against Leeds.
  • Scoham said:

Mark Fish really struggled in his last few games for us. Didn't he get injured falling through a glass table?

I thought that was Tommy Caton
  • PeterGage said:

Harold Hobbis. England international (winger) just before WWII. Broken leg, never played again. In the 60s and beyond, first landlord of The Valley pub upon it's opening

Remember Harold at The Valley pub soon after it opened, as I became a regular for a while, calling in on the way to home games
  • Todorov's career at Charlton was effectively ended by injury, but he did recover eventually to play a couple of seasons for Litex Lovech.
  • ross1 said:

Scoham said:

I thought that was Tommy Caton
    Fish fell through a glass table. Think Caton fell through a glass door.
  • ross1 said:

PeterGage said:

Harold Hobbis. England international (winger) just before WWII. Broken leg, never played again. In the 60s and beyond, first landlord of The Valley pub upon it's opening

Remember Harold at The Valley pub soon after it opened, as I became a regular for a while, calling in on the way to home games
    I know the pub sign was sold on eBay but does anyone know if the big picture of the east terrace get saved?
  • edited March 2017
    Ross said:

Svetoslav Todorov

I still blame the ref for that one. Plymouth decided to kick us off the park and he let them which ultimately resulted in them finishing the career of a decent player. I think the ref let them off that particular assault too
  • Cyril Davies
    Mark Penfold

So many good players during the 1970's played for Charlton, and such a shame that the board didn't invest in the team to give us a chance of promotion, especially when Hales and Flanagan were scoring for fun.
    Yes, our defence was not up to scratch - but we had terrific forwards!
  • Cyril Davies
    Mark Penfold

Those were the days, with Colin Powell flying down the wing and making pinpoint crosses, Keith Peacock supporting from midfield. Not forgetting King Arthur with his goals as well.
  • Ross said:

Svetoslav Todorov

I still blame the ref for that one. Plymouth decided to kick us off the park and he let them which ultimately resulted in them finishing the career of a decent player. I think the ref let them off that particular assault too
    Didn't actually retire, seems he did quite well when he went back to Bulgaria - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetoslav_Todorov