Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone on here planning to go to MIPIM 2017 in Cannes?

Just curious to see if anyone on here is going / has been and can advise if they have ever got anything out of it - aside from spending a shed load of money and received a massive headache

Comments

• "MIPIM is a 4-day real estate exhibition, conference and networking event gathering 21,000 international property professionals."

Non estate agent Translation.....

"MIPM is a 2-day fete and chat with 1,500 UK fibbers"

Is that the right one?
  • I have been before although 10 years back now. I know plenty who go every year.

If you are going my advice would be to ensure you have a 70% full diary but leave space for chance meetings etc. It is very full of people from service industries, lawyers, valuers, accountants, agents, banks etc and not quite so much with developers/investors although all the big boys will be there.

Unless you really want to get onto one of the boats don't bother with a ticket for the bunker as they cost a bomb and the exhibitions are a waste of time (well they were for me, I guess some will find them useful, depends what you do).

Book early (too late now!) as cost goes up massively the closer you leave it... Many re-book as they step off the plane from the previous year. There is a group that cycle there every year from London and another group who go through France by train trying out different wines as they travel through different regions.

Oh, and if a good looking lady comes to talk to you there is a 99% chance she is on the game as the Real Estate industry is somewhat female 'light'.
  • Thanks for the feedback @Fumbluff and @Athletico Charlton - it's pretty much what I suspected. We'll try the London one later in the year and decide if there is likely to be anything of any use to us and consider Cannes next year
  • I have been before although 10 years back now. I know plenty who go every year.

If you are going my advice would be to ensure you have a 70% full diary but leave space for chance meetings etc. It is very full of people from service industries, lawyers, valuers, accountants, agents, banks etc and not quite so much with developers/investors although all the big boys will be there.

Unless you really want to get onto one of the boats don't bother with a ticket for the bunker as they cost a bomb and the exhibitions are a waste of time (well they were for me, I guess some will find them useful, depends what you do).

Book early (too late now!) as cost goes up massively the closer you leave it... Many re-book as they step off the plane from the previous year. There is a group that cycle there every year from London and another group who go through France by train trying out different wines as they travel through different regions.

Oh, and if a good looking lady comes to talk to you there is a 99% chance she is on the game as the Real Estate industry is somewhat female 'light'.

Does that space in the diary give you all time to discuss new and conivivng ways on how to rip the buyer/seller off?
  • Swisdom said:

Thanks for the feedback @Fumbluff and @Athletico Charlton - it's pretty much what I suspected. We'll try the London one later in the year and decide if there is likely to be anything of any use to us and consider Cannes next year

What's the name of the London version?
  • The Ideal Homes Exhibition
  • Chizz said:

Swisdom said:

Thanks for the feedback @Fumbluff and @Athletico Charlton - it's pretty much what I suspected. We'll try the London one later in the year and decide if there is likely to be anything of any use to us and consider Cannes next year

What's the name of the London version?
    Scrap that - I have just seen that it's imaginatvely entitled "MIPIM UK".

Does that space in the diary give you all time to discuss new and conivivng ways on how to rip the buyer/seller off?
    I am not an agent so no that would not be part of my agenda whilst there.

Sounds awfully like a recommendation to me....

Mind you, I'm talking hopscotch.