Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Take One For The Team - One Match Boycott?

Hardly a new concept I'll grant you, but bear with me.

Understandably many already stay away and can't begin to understand why some of us don't. Most of us who still turn up do so with no expectation. For some it's verging on an addiction, others somehow still feel a sense of duty through undying loyalty. For me it's because having been forced to miss a few short spells over 42 years, I just hate being away from the place I love. When we walked out early at that game early in the protests I felt bloody awful standing behind the west stand and hearing the very thing that has dictated my Saturdays for so long.

If we assume that the mass boycott has already had an impact, how much more of a statement would be made now if even the paltry few that remain were to agree to miss one designated home match? From the admittedly small handful I've spoken to, all at least as committed as myself, everyone would be prepared to do it - and these are all people who have joined other protests but felt they just couldn't stop going.

If publicised well in advance I genuinely believe we could put a very significant dent in the real attendance. Those empty stands v Oxford made me weep, and I reckon even more pitiful images would make a good story for the media outlets that have been supportive to date. Meire can lie as much as she likes but publicly refuting the actual attendance and the quite obvious reasons for it would make her look even more laughable than usual.

There will of course be those who prefer not to for any number of reasons but let's not be critical; each to their own. I just feel that a one match sacrifice made by the very people who have dug in and put up with such abject failure would send its own message; not enough to topple the pig-headed moron but with enough exposure perhaps another chink in the armour.

Happy to listen to the practicalities but I would suggest the MK match on March 25th for the following reasons:

1) Long enough to publicise and make any arrangements.
2) Even if we get dragged towards the bottom there are a further 3 home games after that to support the battle against the drop.
3) They're a franchise who few people have any fondness for and having already been to SE7 this season won't bring a big following themselves.

Hope I haven't overlooked too much but the beauty is that unlike the brilliantly planned Belgium trip you don't actually need to do anything - except perhaps have a nice afternoon elsewhere. How about it?

Comments

• Options
    Boycotts don't work, although I hope Coventry prove the exception to the rule. The stadium's 3/4's empty anyway, another 1,000 off the crowd wouldn't be noticed, I can't imagine any more than that would boycott. Personally I'd support it, but I hardly go to home matches anyway.
  • Options
    Nothing at all wrong with your idea, but if we fail to win any of the next 2 away games, then in my opinion something needs to start happening for the remaning home games from next Tuesday until they go. It can't wait any longer.

Momentum has been lost, replaced with apathy and empty seats. This weekend's protests in Belgium is the start of that again.

• Options
    What is the real attendance at an average, 3pm Saturday kick off at the moment ? Let's say it's 8,000. Even with an organised, one match boycott I think you would only take a maximum 3,000 off of that figure and the difference wouldn't be too noticeable.

I get the desire for a total boycott in theory, but in reality it will never happen.
  • Options
    I get the sense that those willing to boycott already are, and most of those still going are either (a) happy with the situation, or (b) not willing to stop going for the reasons you outlined in the OP. I don't see there's a huge amount to gain. Compare this year's attendances to our last season in League 1 and I think the point has already been made. Whether or not Roland cares is another question.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Nothing at all wrong with your idea, but if we fail to win any of the next 2 away games, then in my opinion something needs to start happening for the remaning home games from next Tuesday until they go. It can't wait any longer.

Momentum has been lost, replaced with apathy and empty seats. This weekend's protests in Belgium is the start of that again.

as Airman alludes to, and as you state, I think it's time for protests to begin again at The Valley. Regime apologists can't complain that they affect team performances as that obviously isn't the case. Whether it be in game, after game, before game or in fact all three at the same game then bring it on. Also if we could get a few thousand to protest outside during the game then they'd be more noise outside than in. I'm sure the people at CARD will come up with the appropriate solution.
  • Options
    If we all boycott the game and while not necessarily disagreeing the idea, I don't believe it will ever happen. Who's going to take the photograph to prove it actually happened ???
  • Options
    They would still announce the crowd as 12,250
  • Options

If we all boycott the game and while not necessarily disagreeing the idea, I don't believe it will ever happen. Who's going to take the photograph to prove it actually happened ???

Mr. Mendez usually tweets a pic of our empty seats, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Whilst I think a one match boycott would be a great demonstration if it worked... I just can't see it catching on enough to have an impact. Towards the end of this season would be good timing when we're safe (*gulp*) and certainly not going up.

Only chance of it working at all is if CARD decided to run with it, promote it big time (as well as the Sat afternoon alternatives - maybe a restaurant or the cinema Katy?!). Let's see how they're all feeling when back from Belgium - wish I could go, give 'em hell ladies/gents.
  • Options

They would still announce the crowd as 12,250

They would sell more season tickets for the next campaign on the strength of pictures and an announcement that a thousand or so fans couldn't get into the ground for a match but desperately hung around outside...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    If it was a meaningless game ie we couldn't be relegated mathematically, then it would get a lot more support.

I would definitely consider that and I have never in my supporting life, chosen to miss a home game.
  • Options
    An empty ground would make a statement to a normal owner but we're dealing with RD. He doesn't care about football, the club, the supporters and will happily run us into the ground to prove a point.

Money talks and he's decided he can do what the f*** he wants. He doesn't seem bothered by the losses.....
  • Options
    I think we are getting close to the point when the fans need to force a game to be abandoned.

I know this runs the risk of a points deduction and relegation but, with all due respect, nothing that has happened up to date has stopped the club from falling lower and lower and we can't be far away from there being almost no one left that cares any more.
  • Options
    I think we need to take the protests in the direction we are going. I.e. to the stupid coward's doorstep. Not sure that a match boycott wills serve any purpose as so many are boycotting (not protestors) for varying reasons all linked to the poor managemnt of the club already.
  • Options

I think we need to take the protests in the direction we are going. I.e. to the stupid coward's doorstep. Not sure that a match boycott wills serve any purpose as so many are boycotting (not protestors) for varying reasons all linked to the poor managemnt of the club already.

I agree with that, but it is expensive in terms of time and money.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback to date. I wouldn't expect anything close to a complete stay away, and don't expect for one moment that it'd drive him away in itself. It'd just be a very easy thing to orchestrate if CARD & Co. would be on board with the publicity, and might just re-ignite the media coverage simply from the angle that EVEN the die-hards are peed off enough to take what for them is usually unthinkable action. After all, surely not many who still go endorse the regime.
  • Options

@LargeAddick wrote
    Also if we could get a few thousand to protest outside during the game then they'd be more noise outside than in.

I suggested this to CARD weeks ago, Large.
    There are many stay-away Addicks feeling a bit alone. If we could get these people together, we could add a new dimension to the opposition to Duchatelet. If a call-out for a 3pm demo proved to be well-attended, repeat action could be sought. I was a regular on the CAS Trust stall and CARD demos earlier this season. It was very dispiriting to watch supporters entering the stadium, whereupon I found myself pretty much alone in Harvey Gardens at 3.05pm. We should try, I think, to get as many 'individuals' together and make an even bigger push to rescue our famous club.

Anna kissed they don't necessarily have to be the stay aways protesting outside.
    We need to mix things up, one game boycott then another game a call for everyone to attend then another hit a certain stand enter just after 3 might end up with kick off being delayed.
    Try and get fans like Covered End who's missed 3 home games in 68 years to boycott one game but then another game try and get everyone including the stay aways to come.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    3 home games in 68 years

snigger