Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oscars night

I've never started a discussion on here before but feel moved to do so having just seen that one of my crushes when I was a teenager - the French actress Isabelle Huppert - is nominated for Best Actress. She probably won't win, seeing as it's a foreign language film that she's nominated for, but she has to be one of the most talented actresses of the last 40 years and for that (not her looks), I hope she wins. Who are you hoping will win/lose tonight?

Comments

• Options
    The speeches! I am looking forward to the speeches. And the wall-to-wall coverage of the speeches. And the speeches being on the news all day tomorrow.

And people moaning about the speeches - people saying that film stars and directors shouldn't be allowed a platform to make speeches.

And people reminding the people that moan about the speeches and the platform they have, that they could have switched off or switched over if they didn't want to listen to the speeches.

And the people who moaned about the speeches in the first place dashing off to the argument thread, just at the point where it's about to kick off.

Apart from the speeches, I dont know who I want to win. In fact, I don't even know who is playing.
  • Options
    I've got my fingers crossed for Hell or High Water but doubt it'll win anything. Lion and Arrival too. La La Land will sweep the board I suspect.

Hacksaw Ridge shouldn't be anywhere near this one. Seems bizarre to me that it's got a few noms.

Moonlight should get cinematography if La La Land doesn't.
  • Options
    Literally just come out of the cinema seeing La La Land. I thought it improved radically as it progressed and I'm sure it'll get oscars, but I don't think it deserves to sweep up the lot. I'm 100% with @JiMMy 85. I want Hell or High Water to win something. If not best film, at least let 'the Dude' win best supporting actor.
  • Options
    Why should we be held hostage to the views of these actors when picking up an award any more than we should have to listen to Harry Kane say similar when picking up a man of the match award.

Thank the director of the film, the supporting cast the film company, your parents etc and move on.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Chizz loves a millionaire leftie wankfest!

;0)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Why should we be held hostage to the views of these actors when picking up an award any more than we should have to listen to Harry Kane say similar when picking up a man of the match award.

Thank the director of the film, the supporting cast the film company, your parents etc and move on.

Is someone making you listen to them!?
  • Options
    If Gemma Arterton ever won, I'd support her using the platform to voice her opinion on you-know-who.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Why should actors be silenced from having opinions? If they want to speak about politics who cares. Just ignore them if you don't agree with it.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2017
    Manchester by the sea should win something. Great movie.

Missus is asking if it is on sky or highlights on terrestrial.
  • Options
    vff said:

Wasn't that impressed to be honest.

Saw Lion last night, Dev Patel was incredible- he won't win, but he should.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A complete load of old 'luvvy' sycophantic toilet! Get over yourselves, you're actors!! Bravo!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    A bunch of twats boosting Trump's popularity by slagging him off.

Absolute bollocks that makes them feel better but has the complete opposite effect to what they "want" to happen.

Idiocy masqueraded as intelligence
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

A bunch of twats boosting Trump's popularity by slagging him off.

Absolute bollocks that makes them feel better but has the complete opposite effect to what they "want" to happen.

Idiocy masqueraded as intelligence

Yes but what do you think of the lovely Isabelle?
  • Options
    vff said:

It'll be on sky live, then they'll have the highlights on demand, and show a highlights show tomorrow night.

Nobody wants to show the oscars. No viewers for it live, and highlights don't do well as everyone knows who has won by the following evening.
  • Options

If Gemma Arterton ever won, I'd support her using the platform to voice her opinion on you-know-who.

If that ever happened, it would be the greatest moment in the history of Hollywood since Blazing Saddles
  • Options
    se9addick said:

vff said:

Wasn't that impressed to be honest.

Saw Lion last night, Dev Patel was incredible- he won't win, but he should.
    Horses for courses. One of the few American movies where you don't know the ending. I liked the ending. Felt real.

So the things on Sky ?
  • Options

I've never started a discussion on here before but feel moved to do so having just seen that one of my crushes when I was a teenager - the French actress Isabelle Huppert - is nominated for Best Actress. She probably won't win, seeing as it's a foreign language film that she's nominated for, but she has to be one of the most talented actresses of the last 40 years and for that (not her looks), I hope she wins. Who are you hoping will win/lose tonight?

You've just reminded me of one of my top 10 erotic screen moments, when as the repressed Piano Teacher she gets so excited spying on the copulating couple in the car at the drive-in that she drops her drawers and takes a piss.
  • Options
    And the winner of mildly obese scouser in a tracksuit spreading the good word of a tinpot regime goes to..........
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

vff said:

It'll be on sky live, then they'll have the highlights on demand, and show a highlights show tomorrow night.

Nobody wants to show the oscars. No viewers for it live, and highlights don't do well as everyone knows who has won by the following evening.
    Thanks. Not bothered myself but missus likes award ceremonies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Is someone making you listen to them!?
    I am watching these things to see who wins. The speeches are part of the show and don't see the need for them to go off on one about something unrelated to the ceremony/film Obviously if the film is a story of a Mexican immigrants rise to become governor of Arizona you may want to bring up the subject of the wall in your speech as it is relevant.
  • Options
    Monumental cock up at the end there.
  • Options
    Pleased to see Moonlight win best film - a deserved winner. Shame about the cockup over the presentation.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Somewhat hilarious, though, to see the Producer of the Oscars jump on stage to announce the mistake and try to convince all around him that this wasn't all one big joke - which the Oscars have become.
  • Options
    I wish Beatty and Dunaway had presented the Best Actress award.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Monumental cock up at the end there.

The award was presented in association with the Palarse ultras.
  • Options
    It was all the C.A.R.D.'s fault...
  • Options
    Was Roland Duchalet organising this years Oscars?