Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'what ifs' of the regime

While our time under Roland has been by a large a catalogue of errors, looking back there are several occasions where if one thing did/ didn't happen we could be in a totally different situation to what we are now.

What if Igor didn't get injured 6/7 games in?
What if Arsenal didn't have the most injury prone midfield ever and we actually kept and signed Coquelin on a free?
What if they didn't manage to mess up the easiest signing ever in Bulot?
What if Gradel did decide to join?
What if they didn't sell Yann for a portion of chips?

There are more of these but I think these are the main ones. I genuinely think that if any of these happened (particularly the Coquelin one) we could have been up in the playoffs in the championship that season and who knows at that point Roland might've opened his wallet a bit more.

This isn't making excuses for them in the slightest and if anything it makes our situation now 100x times worse but obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's hard to look back and say we weren't close. I don't know why I'm thinking of this now but I suppose it's easier to look back at when it wasn't going too badly compared to our future which I don't even think Roland knows now.

Comments

• Options
    What about the biggest 'if's?

What if Roland wasn't an arrogant, misguided fool? What if Daisy wasn't lazy and incompetent? I don't think there's any way around those.
  • Options
    no ifs no buts
  • Options

While our time under Roland has been by a large a catalogue of errors, looking back there are several occasions where if one thing did/ didn't happen we could be in a totally different situation to what we are now.

What if Igor didn't get injured 6/7 games in?
    What if Arsenal didn't have the most injury prone midfield ever and we actually kept and signed Coquelin on a free?
    What if they didn't sell Yann for a portion of chips?

There are more of these but I think these are the main ones. I genuinely think that if any of these happened (particularly the Coquelin one) we could have been up in the playoffs in the championship that season and who knows at that point Roland might've opened his wallet a bit more.

This isn't making excuses for them in the slightest and if anything it makes our situation now 100x times worse but obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's hard to look back and say we weren't close. I don't know why I'm thinking of this now but I suppose it's easier to look back at when it wasn't going too badly compared to our future which I don't even think Roland knows now.

What! They are a disaster. Always have been always will be.

Biggest what if? If the comfort blanket "support the team not the regime" was seen by all as the obvious nonsense it was/is?
  • Options
    What if they'd kept the sofa? Highly doubt we'd be in the situation we are now.
  • Options

They didn't "mess it up". They weren't willing to pay the going rate for a player of that standard. Just one part of a long-standing policy, rather than a one-off mistake.

If we were ever actually in for him in the first place. All of our transfers are for undisclosed fees, except the ones that we don't manage to get over the line, which are always ambitious, big money signings. Gradel £1.5m, Delort £3m, some bloke from Rotherham last January for £2m, there's been others as well. Doubt Gradel was any closer to signing for us than I was.
  • Options
    I think Hamer would have left anyway, after all Leicester City offered him PL football (or at least PL wages!).

Yann was the big mistake, as he wanted to stay. Morrison did sign a new contract, then got pushed out...

Going back to the original question, another might be

What if a year ago, we had appointed Warnock instead of Rotherham?
  • Options

I think Hamer would have left anyway, after all Leicester City offered him PL football (or at least PL wages!).

Yann was the big mistake, as he wanted to stay. Morrison did sign a new contract, then got pushed out...

Going back to the original question, another might be

What if a year ago, we had appointed Warnock instead of Rotherham?

To quote Hamer off the GTKN podcast, 'I was happy there, I loved playing for Charlton, but they were messing around with the contracts and if they did want me there it would have been resolved months ago'. That's what I was saying about a statement of intent. If Roland had dealt with Hamer's contract at the start the Leicester offer never would have emerged. Coming in and giving four key players, three of whom definitely would have signed, contracts on the spot would have lifted the whole club. We were all worrying about those contracts ticking down and it wouldn't have taken much to resolve. Instead we let Yann and Stephens go, let Hamer get to the point where he felt unwanted and a decent offer emerged, and played silly buggers with Morro before giving him a new deal at the last minute and then messing him around. It was so badly handled
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What if they hadn't dragged their feet and got the Chris Wilder deal done and dusted earlier.
  • Options
    What if RD decided not to buy Charlton in the first place?
  • Options

What if they hadn't dragged their feet and got the Chris Wilder deal done and dusted earlier.

Do you think we would be any better off than we are now? I mean Wilder would have been working under the same constraints all the other managers have had. I can't see how any manager can work within Roland's framework and make a success of things.
  • Options

Do you think we would be any better off than we are now? I mean Wilder would have been working under the same constraints all the other managers have had. I can't see how any manager can work within Roland's framework and make a success of things.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this.

• Options

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

This 100%, whilst I cant stand KR and his scouse waffle I do not think any manager could perform any better whilst being manipulated by RD, KM & Congo Chris.

The longer this goes on and the more the word goes round we will never attract a manager worth having, just the has been's that float around picking up a wage and the pay off when RD sacks them.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    What If his Dad had pulled out sooner!! - Or just for once his Mum could have said: "I've got a headache" that night!!
  • Options

The biggest what if will always be right at the start. You had a united but too small squad with very decent players in it, a manager popular with the players, the fans and the media, and a feeling that only a few things had to change for Charlton to be looking like a team pushing to get into the Play-Offs. What it needed was for Roland to come in and straight away try and get Hamer, Yann, Morrison and Stephens to sign new deals. There's your statement of intent. Yann, Hamer and Morrison would have signed, Stephens might have been a harder sell but you can't have everything.

After that, you fix the obvious issue; the squad hadn't been added to sufficiently since promotion due to a lack of funds. Roland was in the perfect position in that he had money and a management team with a proven track record of being able to pick a player, often one who had fallen out of favour or been under-utilised elsewhere, and get more out of them than anyone else had. Incidentally, it's the opposite technique of what we have now; Robinson tries to cram the random 'they look good on a spreadsheet' signings he's given into his formation, whereas Powell knew the style and mentality he wanted from a player and picked the man accordingly, regardless of what he'd done elsewhere. He knew he wanted Leicester laughing stock Yann but had no interest in free-scoring Leon Clarke. Guess who was the better player for us. All Roland had to do was ask Powell which players he felt could fix Charlton's league position in January and we would have stayed up with no trouble whatsoever. Powell's shopping list at the start of our first Championship season was Hammond, Bolasie, Shackell, Quinn and Aluko, all of whom subsequently got promoted with other teams. He wasn't the perfect manager tactically but I don't know if we've ever had a coach who knew the players he needed quite as well as Powell did. It wouldn't even have cost that much as the great thing about bringing in unwanted players is they go for cheap.

It all comes down to arrogance with Roland. Why renew Hamer's contract when you've got Thuram? Why even keep Alnwick around when Thuram is there? Why get in proper cover for Solly's knees when you've got Nego? Why keep Yann when Parzyszeck is cheaper to pay? Something something bloody Reza. Things could have been so different if he'd just listened to the experienced staff he had. If he still wanted to be a bastard he could have let Powell have the transfer window to identify quality players, bring them in and sack him afterwards. That would have satisfied Roland's desire to be the absolute worst and left Charlton with a decent squad. Instead he did the most damage he possibly could in one month. For me, that period with Powell was the happiest I've been as a Charlton fan in a while. I'll take us being crap, in League One and never quite getting anywhere, it sort of goes with the territory, but for once we had everything. We had a management team up to and very much not including the owners who cared about Charlton, decent likeable players and a bit of a bounce. The fact we could have made the Play-Offs with just a small amount of intelligent investment is just heartbreaking when you compare it to where we are now.

These things will always stick out for me more than selling THD too cheaply and missing out on Bulot. The ship was sunk a long time ago

Top post, echoes alot of my thoughts. We had it all going for us after years of decline but Roland came in and destroyed everything. Who knows how deep and for how long this will effect the club in the long-term if he does eventually sell.
  • Options
    No disrespect to your 'what ifs' intended, @cafc_harry, but I would suggest that they didn't make a shred of difference. A successful football club needs good individuals, team spirit, good leadership, a good manager, good management etc. etc. There's so much wrong with this regime that it doesn't really matter who the puppets are while these puppet masters pull the strings.
  • Options

No disrespect to your 'what ifs' intended, @cafc_harry, but I would suggest that they didn't make a shred of difference. A successful football club needs good individuals, team spirit, good leadership, a good manager, good management etc. etc. There's so much wrong with this regime that it doesn't really matter who the puppets are while these puppet masters pull the strings.

I agree completely but when it was going *fairly* ok if only little things had gone differently who knows how it'd gone.
  • Options
    What if.

Roland didn't have a pot to piss in so we didn't even know who he was.

We'd be in the championship.

Probably moaning about something not even realizing how lucky we are.

Be grateful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

What if they had not sacked Powell. Kept Kerms, Morro etc and had given Powell the money to spend which they have wasted. I genuinely think we would be in the Prem now or fighting for promotion to the Prem at least.

Bang on. If they'd have let him build the set up he wanted. And just kept their noses out we would have been in a hugely different position.

He could have kept the basis of that squad and with and couple million a year he found have built something. We would have had a damp good go at getting there. And it would have been at hell of at lot cheaper than what has happened.