Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford | Tue 21 Feb | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    games like tonight are where a protest/throwing stuff on the pitch would hit them most, barely any stewards as midweek and would cop a bollocking from the h&s crowd about not being able to control a crowd, although all the time there is in contention a play off place i dont think protests should happen, as soon we cant get them then Game on!!, another thing to do is leak that there will be mass protests and so they get extra staff in just costing them more money.
  • Options
    I should know the answer to this but does anyone know whether the three quid extra charge applies to tickets bought on the gate before kick off tonight please? Only considering going as I have to go past the Valley on a train home but could easily lose the inclination by this evening. Cheers.
  • Options

I should know the answer to this but does anyone know whether the three quid extra charge applies to tickets bought on the gate before kick off tonight please? Only considering going as I have to go past the Valley on a train home but could easily lose the inclination by this evening. Cheers.

Yes, it does.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

We always beat Oxford - only 1 defeat in the last 18 meetings, and that was on penalties after a 0-0 draw in the League Cup. Particularly remember a 3-2 victory at the start of 97/98, when Clive Mendonca scored the first of his 28 goals that season, and Paul Konchesky made his debut to become our youngest ever player. Also remember going mental on the terrace at the Manor Ground 5 months later when Mendonca and John Robinson helped us steal an undeserved but very enjoyable 2-1 victory the day after my 18th birthday.

Anyway, this is the definition of a meaningless mid-table fixture. I reckon Oxford will be feeling sorry for themselves after the end of their FA Cup run, so we'll probably win, and that'll move us a touch closer to the play-offs, meaning that we'll have to put up with a couple more weeks of that irritating feeling that we could still get in the top 6 if we could just string a few decent results together, even though we all know that our squad is nothing like as good enough, and certainly nothing like as good as the Scouse Talking Machine seems to think it is.

2-0 victory for Charlton, followed by a load of nonsense from Fat Karl about how hard the players have been working, how proud of them he is, we've turned the corner, Lewis Page has all the potential to be the next Roberto Carlos, blah, blah, blah. Then we lose at home to Bury on Saturday.

Bloody good day out that was to Oxford...they were robbed.
  • Options
    Anyone remember the ginger haired lad from Oxford who supports Charlton?
  • Options
    1-1. Variety being the spice of life.
  • Options
    2-1 to the Addicks. We have to win eventually...
  • Options

Thanks to @CAFC-West for reminding me that Charlton and Millwall are both at home tomorrow night.

Has this EVER happened before?

*Note: It can be a struggle some weeks to find something to write about in the Introduction... If ever anyone finds something of note about the fixture, by all means drop me a message in my inbox as it could help me out massively

I'm pretty sure we played the same night back in either the Prem days or when we we're in the Championship... either way they weren't in the same league at the time.
    I generally didnt think the two could play at home on the same day because of policing
    cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

I'm liking this because I to went mental at the manor ground at that same game. I was a young 15 year old pup and my whole life was football. That same season I dumped a girl after the 2-0 win away at Portsmouth

I was stood very close to Seb's brother Oli and I remember almost knocking him over by mistake when that winner went in.

Anyway, the game. The only thing in our favour is how motivated Oxford may be after being dumped out the cup. Will they have hangover.

My heart says 1-1 as we desperately try to zero in on the record number of draws in one season. My head says 1-1 to keep up this brilliant consolidationism

Great days they were, made my whole week if we won and ruined it if we lost. Like you, my whole life was football. Unlike you, I was pathetic with girls and mostly couldn't get them to go anywhere near me. Can't remember for sure, but while you were dumping a girl after the 2-0 win at Portsmouth, I was probably heading home as quickly as possible to indulge in yet another session of frantic hand to pants combat.

I'm intrigued by your story - did you literally dump her on your way out of Fratton Park, gently explaining that there just wasn't room in your heart for her and Carl Leaburn?
    I remember pulling her at HEAT Blackheath concert halls in the summer of 97. She was at st Urshulas I was at Bonus Pastor. It was the heady days of 187 lockdown, puff daddy's version of I'll be missing you that actually kept the verve drugs don't work off of number 1 and of course championship manager 97/98

i remember staying over at hers the night before championship manager came out, her, a few of her mates, and a few of mine. The October half term. After a great night exploring my adolescence, purchasing champ manager from GAME in lewisham the next day was like the icing on the cake.

There was actually nothing wrong with her at all. Just got it into my head that on the way down and after the 2-0 win I should finish it.

I have many memories from that season, that period. I remember getting home and ringing her on her friends landline that was only down the road to me and telling her it was over. After the call I got back on back on the PC and continued my season with Villa 5-3-2 and bought Victor Leonenko
    Just think if you had been more single minded and concentrated on CM you could have turned out like Thomas Driesen!
  • Options

Purchase online & print out your own ticket, SB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Better still, send them an e-mail saying you're boycotting because of their silly £3 fee, even if you only can't be arsed to go.
  • Options
    Is any commentary required tonight? Is it covered?
  • Options

Cheers Fanny & AB. Against my better judgement I've bought one and printed it. Will look forward to the fish and chips on the way and a beer with some mates as I won't be driving for a change. Incidentally, my sign in details didn't work. Hope Mr F is on the mend.
  • Options
    I actually can see a big win tonight - not that many people will care.
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

I actually can see a big win tonight - not that many people will care.

For who? ;)
  • Options
    Went a bit crazy with the 3-3 at the weekend. Two nil nils coming up for the rest of the week to bring us back to the 1-1 average.
  • Options

Cheers Fanny & AB. Against my better judgement I've bought one and printed it. Will look forward to the fish and chips on the way and a beer with some mates as I won't be driving for a change. Incidentally, my sign in details didn't work. Hope Mr F is on the mend.
    My sign in did not work either and twice I tried to get a "forgotten password" email so I could reset and they didn't arrive either.

I also emailed a complaint over a month ago, sent a reminder, but still no response. There is someone still working there I suppose?
  • Options
    I'm boycotting tonight, after Roland's remarks today.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

whadhe say ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Do you mean you weren't going anyway, so may as well be a boycott, or you were going but now are not because of something he said several weeks ago?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

My sign in did not work either and twice I tried to get a "forgotten password" email so I could reset and they didn't arrive either.

I also emailed a complaint over a month ago, sent a reminder, but still no response. There is someone still working there I suppose?
    They did eventually email me a "password reminder". It was actually another password as no one could have made up the sequence of letters and numbers. It took probably had an hour to arrive. Surprised how many of the cheap seats in the east block B were unavailable. Must be blocks of freebies out there somewhere.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

They did eventually email me a "password reminder". It was actually another password as no one could have made up the sequence of letters and numbers. It took probably had an hour to arrive. Surprised how many of the cheap seats in the east block B were unavailable. Must be blocks of freebies out there somewhere.
    Oh great, a stand full of screaming school kids, plus of course the newbies that try and find there seats just after kick off, scoff lunch and then take it in turns to go to the toilet.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Had wondered if we might see Mavididi in for Botaka, but had forgotten Byrne is available again so reckon @Sage has it right with the below. I think KR will persevere with Watt for now and see if he can adapt to that no. 10 roll and click with Magennis, who hopefully will be a bit sharper tonight. Holmes and Byrne offer more of a goal threat from the wings than some of our other options out there, so they are probably the best choices right now, especially while the striker(s) are a bit off form.

Still Konsa, Pearce and Kashi missing who would all be in with a good shout of starting if fit, but, even without that lot, it looks a very decent League 1 matchday 18. Time for them to deliver a properly convincing performance and result in front of the Valley faithful.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Teixeira Page
    Crofts Forster-Caskey
    Byrne Watt Holmes
    Magennis

Phillips, Chicksen, Jackson, Aribo, Botaka, Mavididi, Novak
  • Options
    There is nothing in life like a packed 472 bus. Fragrant.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Ditto - When he opens his trap I generally can't bring myself to go. Will listen on player tonight - and hopefully him and Meire can keep their mouths shut as I have to have my Charlton fix on Saturday!
  • Options
    Rudd, Solly (c), Bauer, Teixeira, Page, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Byrne, Holmes, Mavididi, Magennis. #cafc

CHARLTON SUBS | Phillips, Dasilva, Jackson, Aribo, Botaka, Watt, Novak. #cafc
  • Options
    Good to see Byrne back
  • Options
    Another 1-1 draw and we stagger towards 50 points...sigh...