Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How old were your boys when they started going alone?

edited February 2017 in General Charlton
Nicking an idea....

My boy wants to go on his own, I have no problem with this as he is 13 but he has no one to go with.
His mates support Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal (but have never been) so are not interested in us.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Have teenage sons who'd like to sing and shout in the Covered end?

Comments

• I always said to him 'Son, the day you can perfect the use of the apostrophe I'll know you're ready'.
  • I always said to him 'Son, the day you can perfect the use of the apostrophe I'll know you're ready'.

good point.
  • Or girls Shirley?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Or girls Shirley?

I know, I know.
  • I'd say let him go for it, as his dad you might not like to hear it but you can guarentee he'll get right in to everything without having adult supervision. I'm younger than most on here so can only talk from personal experience, I started going at 2-3 and had a season ticket with my uncle pretty much since, now 18 and in that time (bar the past 2 seasons) I could count the games I went on my own on one hand but I do remember them, had a W Lower ST when I was I think 12-13 and went on to N Upper with the old booklets and I'm not gonna lie you shit yourself at first, particularly on your own but once it gets going it's brilliant, it's one great thing going with a family member you can share it with and another being there on your own free to do and say what you want.

As for him being alone in particular its nothing to worry about, once your in the crowd nobody cares, all Charlton so won't get picked on etc.
  • Thanks Harry.
    I've got no problem with him going, I would just like him to go with some boys of the same age.
  • Thanks Harry.
    I've got no problem with him going, I would just like him to go with some boys of the same age.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, get him to really hound some mates in to going, some of the people I go away games with are Arsenal and Chelsea 'fans' ,odds are they'll have a great day and regardless of supporting Charlton it's a pretty cheap little day out at that age so they'll go again.
  • Thanks Harry.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, get him to really hound some mates in to going, some of the people I go away games with are Arsenal and Chelsea 'fans' ,odds are they'll have a great day and regardless of supporting Charlton it's a pretty cheap little day out at that age so they'll go again.
    Which brings up another issue... his mates are from single parent families, when they come to the Valley I have to pay for them.
  • Ahh right. Didn't realise it went from 11s to 18s either blimey. £20+ a game will build up.

Suppose it depends on how much you value your beloved son :wink:
  • edited February 2017
    If you can afford it, could you offer to pay to let them go once or twice? Are yoot tickets cheaper on Football for a Fiver days? That might be a good time to try and indoctrinate them. My hope would be that the boy and at least one of his mates fall in love with it all and want to go back.

If that works, you can trade letting him go to the football with a mate for free labour around the house doing chores. Or if he gets an allowance, making him save it up, that kind of thing. I don't know what the prices are like for under 18s so forgive me if this is a fiscally silly suggestion. I've just found that with myself going back to when I was young, working to earn money knowing that I could then afford X or got a reward (instead of just cash) is much more enticing. That includes these days when I whore myself around to the highest bidder as a technology consultant.
  • Sponsored links:

• '97 was my first game alone... Was 14...
  • Thanks Harry.

Which brings up another issue... his mates are from single parent families, when they come to the Valley I have to pay for them.
    Any of the mums fit?
  • Thanks Harry.

Any of the mums fit?
    as it happens.....................................no.