Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Albums of 1974

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi Six Bag - Likewise! Didn't want to mention Guy because he's Belgian but original artwork was superb. I've not heard 'Alternative Candidate' but will certainly check it out after your recommendation.
  • Options
    Sensei said:

Hi Six Bag - Likewise! Didn't want to mention Guy because he's Belgian but original artwork was superb. I've not heard 'Alternative Candidate' but will certainly check it out after your recommendation.

I've just stuck it on the "Today I will be mostly listening to" thread mate.
    Enjoy :smile:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Pretzel Logic and Sheet Music would be my favourites from that year. Despite being a huge Genesis fan at the time, I found Lamb a little erratic with some great tracks and some unforgettable ones.

Bad Company's first album was a good, standard rock album with some classic tracks.

From another genre I'll give a mention to Fullfillingness First Finale by Stevie Wonder.

For the weirder element who could forget Midnight Mushrumps by Gryphon.

My final mention's for Chilli Willi and The Red Hot Peppers, Bongos Over Balham.
  • Options
    The best album of 74 is in fact Hergest Ridge by Mike Oldfield...possibly in his top three best ever works. If you havent heard his latest, Return to Ommadawn then youre in for a real treat.

Those of note.......

Phaedra by Tangerine Dream featuring the late Edgar Froese
    Autobahn by Kraftwerk...way ahead of the game these boys
    Rampant by Nazerath
    Spyglass Guest by Greenslade
    Relayer by Yes (one of their best in my opinion)
    The Lamb lies down on Broadway by Genesis
    Rush by Rush....
    There's the rub by Wishbone Ash
    Country Life by Roxy Music

probably tons more...good thread.
  • Options
    Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) is possibly one of the greatest albums ever made and easily his best work IMO.

Prog was still at its height. Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage, folks
    Also, don't forget Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards

yeah and Relayer is really good. but in my wonderful prog revisionist world, VDGG and Renaissance are what you think Yes, Genesis and Crimson are: gods
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Prog was still at its height.

Arguably yes, although I for one had already begun to detect a whiff of "Emperor's new clothes" as some of it's proponents started upon blind alleys that ended up their own arsehole before eventually having their pomposity destroyed by Punk.
    It's an odd genre Prog isn't it. Unlike most musical genres which are defined by a particular musical style, Prog was a collection of disparate artists linked only by a common desire to experiment and push the boundaries.
    My particular favourites are mostly from the very beginning, but you have some good choices there Leuth