Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Manager Since March 2014?

Looking at the 6 incumbents since Powell left..........League matches only (no cup ties)......and not counting any games with a 'caretaker' in charge

Jose Riga: 36 games - 44 points. Total over 46 matches = 56.2 points

Bob Peeters: 25 games - 31 points. Total over 46 matches = 57 points

Guy Luzon: 34 games - 39 points. Total over 46 matches = 52.8 points

Karel Fraeye: 13 games - 10 points. Total over 46 matches = 35.4 points

Russell Slade: 16 games - 20 points. Total over 46 matches = 57.5 points

Karl Robinson: 9 games - 13 points. Total over 46 matches = 66.4 points

Robinson is clearly the best, based on out form under him so far.

Slade and Peeters come up as being very similar - as indeed the interminable draws would suggest. Neither brilliant, but if in place and left to get on with things you'd probably be safe but not much else.

Riga......looks uninspiring on the statistics, but the total comes from two very different spells at the club. The first brought 24 points from 16 games (69 points over a 46 match season - which would make him better than Robinson) whilst the second eked out 20 points from 20 games - 46 points over a season. But we'd all say he was brought in too late at that point, surely?

Luzon's spell saw very volatile form and was in overall terms quite weak.

Fraeye - clearly the worst.

Looks like Karl might be our best yet.

Comments

• Interesting to hear KR state on CL that he's yet to play a team below him. Granted this is a weak league but if true then his point haul so far is not too bad at all
  • jesus wept you must have been bored.

I bet Peeters and Rigas first 9 games were better and in Championship

Non event them stats
  • jamescafc said:

Interesting to hear KR state on CL that he's yet to play a team below him. Granted this is a weak league but if true then his point haul so far is not too bad at all

Well that has swayed me, play-offs here we come.
  • What about the fact that Robinson's and Slade's records are in League 1?

This.

'Robinson is clearly the best'?! What a joke. We drew with Fleetwood Town on Saturday. Fleetwood Town! A club of similar pedigree to Welling United for the majority of their existence. We are sat in mid table and in no danger of getting anywhere near the play off places in a league littered with teams of this stature. Riga alone presided over victories at Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, to name just 3, in a respectable division. And without wasting half his week spitting scouse bullshit all over some poor bastards camera lens.

The above list is a pitiful one, but Robinson is nowhere near the top of it.

• All these statistics show in my opinion is it's early days yet, though the comment about Riga and Peeters managing in the championship is fair enough. But if KR takes us up, I doubt we'll care which league it was.
    Fraeye's statistics are still amazing though. Amazing he could be employed anywhere as a manager.
  • Kevin Nugent
  • riga 1st spell.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe the average needed for the playoffs tends to be 73-75 points.

Thank you Roland.
  • riga 1st spell.

I'd agree with that, if for no other reason than he had a quality back room team left by Powell. He didn't fair so well second time around much like all the others.
  • Riga all day long. Had Riga been kept on following his first spell i doubt we would be in this crap division
  • at least riga got us happy for a while, staying up that season was about the last time i was genuinely happy with charlton, although i agree with powell, he would of always kept us up. just prioritised the cup which i dont think was a bad thing, we was 1 game away from wembley, i remember leaving that game thinking yep thats the last time we will see Powell, fuck you Roland, i think any of those that are anti protests, roland out etc, should think back to that game and see how far we have dropped, i remember jackson replying for hours to people on twitter which i thought was a nice touch even though the result was crap, that saturday night in sheffield was what i would imagine it would be like going to europe just fans of the same club everywhere, probably my favourite away game bar the result.
  • Kevin Nugent, by a country mile.

Although, of course, you can only really begin to form a proper opinion on a manager's efficacy once he's been in charge for two or three years. In other words, we've never had a good manager under the current clowns. And we never will.

One last thing. In the list of managers, each one produced between 35 and 66 points over 46 games. In 2012, that would have secured a position betqeen bottom and tenth. That year
    Chris Powell finished first, with 101 points. And, according to RD, he was stupid. What does that mean for the rest of them?
  • Every appointment has been an improvement on the last...
  • Surely you have to factor in the division. Championship points should have more weight than League 1 points. Which would push KR's projected points down against the Championship managers.
  • Its like asking "Which was your best bout of diarrhoea?"....
  • The next one.

This.

'Robinson is clearly the best'?! What a joke. We drew with Fleetwood Town on Saturday. Fleetwood Town! A club of similar pedigree to Welling United for the majority of their existence. We are sat in mid table and in no danger of getting anywhere near the play off places in a league littered with teams of this stature. Riga alone presided over victories at Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, to name just 3, in a respectable division. And without wasting half his week spitting scouse bullshit all over some poor bastards camera lens.

The above list is a pitiful one, but Robinson is nowhere near the top of it.

So you're a fan?
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no denying that persisting with Fraeye for 13 games is the reason we got relegated.

It was also the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of my opinion of Roland.
  • Riga for me without a doubt. Strangely despite being part of the network he is the most "Charlton" manager I feel like we've had post Powell.
  • edited February 2017
    I mis-read the title of this thread. I initially read it as "Best Manager OF March 2014" !!!!
  • Slade and KR have had the advantage of having a say in what players come in. And Riga first time had the advantage of SCP's squad and backroom staff. Apart from confirming Fraeye as the worst I don't read much into these stats, all the managers have been operating with one hand tied behind their back. If KR actually achieves anything I'll take my hat off to him, but let's see if he survives Roland's axe when he loses a few.

It's all relative isn't it, we had Championship players before being relegated to League 1 where we now have an abundance of mediocre L1 players.
  • The first one Roly doesn't appoint.