Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sam Bone - former youth team player

Some of you may have heard of him and some not but a couple of years ago I believed he was the next big thing. Big and strong centre midfielder with 2 good feet and always in the right place at the right time. He played alongside many of the highly regarded youngsters, including Konsa and Umerah, and despite being younger never looked out of place.

I was disappointed when he left the club at the end of last season - and moreso that there wasn't even an announcement.

Whilst on twitter last night i spotted a tweet from him about how he was recently playing his first game in ages for Shamrock Rovers - following 7 months out having treatment for cancer!

I really hope he continues his recovery and achieves all he deserves to in the game

Comments

• Agree he was a very good prospect, and good luck to him in his recovery. It's a pity he left, I wonder why? Our club has a very good record of standing by young players in difficult times.
  • Oh crap... Didnt realise cancer was involved... Good to see he's back involved

I did see that tweet as went hunting for him myself but disregarded it as I didnt recognise the colours
  • Oh crap... Didnt realise cancer was involved... Good to see he's back involved

I did see that tweet as went hunting for him myself but disregarded it as I didnt recognise the colours

I was intrigued and that's when the story became a little clearer.
    It is surprisingly that the club did not stand by him however that's not to say they knew about the situation
  • I was told that the Club released him with Alex Kelly because they didn't think he would make it. I had no idea that he had cancer.
  • All the best Sam,

I'll see a couple of Shamrock Rovers games this season when he might come up against Harry Doherty from the academy.

Hopefully Sam has a shocker.

C'mon the Harps.
  • Good health is Paramount and it may explain why no other clubs picked up a superb young talent who i thought would follow in the footsteps of Lookman, Konsa, and Aribo.

Without knowing the full details of the illness and recovery time,
    I wish Sam Bone a full and speedy return to health and to realize his potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-u18s-report-crystal-palace-3551544.aspx

Apart from a good win over the Majors I see that we had an unused sub called "Bone"

I wonder if it is a relation. @Ollywozere
  • cheers @Ollywozere Good to get some background

Hope his brother does well.
  • Keep progressing Sam - good luck.
  • Found out about the cancer about 3 months ago from his twitter as I was researching how he was getting on.Absolutely fantastic news that he's back playing. Is that the shamrock first team? If so that's an amazing achievement. Have wanted to get over for a game in Dublin so will try make it a shamrock game.
  • Thanks for bringing this up Swisdom. Wish him all the very best and hope he gets his career going again.

It's amazing to think how hard he's probably had to work to get back on track after the illness and being let go. Compare that to the absolute c*** Payet has been in the last few months. It can really rile you and highlight everything that's wrong with the top end of modern football
  • Saw the Bees match and while decent on the ball, I thought he was similar to Jonjo at the same age in that he wasn't very mobile around the pitch. As he has matured JS has put that one to bed, hopefully same with Sam. Best wishes on the recovery.
  • Saw the Bees match and while decent on the ball, I thought he was similar to Jonjo at the same age in that he wasn't very mobile around the pitch. As he has matured JS has put that one to bed, hopefully same with Sam. Best wishes on the recovery.

I know what you mean but he was 2 years younger than most of his opponents and the mobility would come. Really hope he makes it though - nice to see someone telling cancer to fuck off!

• Always heard positive things about him so I'm very surprised that he was let go.
  • Always heard positive things about him so I'm very surprised that he was let go.

I said on another thread, I am certain I read at the time that Sam's dad wanted to take him out of Charlton due to the club being a basket case.

I'm sure he'll go on to be a success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Found out about the cancer about 3 months ago from his twitter as I was researching how he was getting on.Absolutely fantastic news that he's back playing. Is that the shamrock first team? If so that's an amazing achievement. Have wanted to get over for a game in Dublin so will try make it a shamrock game.

Doesnt look like it... I've just been on the Shamrock Rovers website and his profile doesnt appear for the First-Team | U19s or U17s
  • Yeah, it doesn't look like it has been announced, apart from that he had a trial, they should already be strong in that position so maybe they are keeping him around like we did with Lewis Buxton in the summer in case they don't spot something better.
  • edited February 2017
    dickplumb said:

I was told that the Club released him with Alex Kelly because they didn't think he would make it. I had no idea that he had cancer.

Always heard positive things about him so I'm very surprised that he was let go.

I said on another thread, I am certain I read at the time that Sam's dad wanted to take him out of Charlton due to the club being a basket case.

The Fact that Sam Bone's brother is on Trial tells you that the Basket case doesn't hold water.

In Sam's Case it is the same at Charlton as every other club.
    When you are a first year Scholar you can't afford to have too many injuries because even thou CAFC rated Sam, it means the length of contract offered will be shorter. (some of our young pros have been getting 2 and 3 years)

There are exceptions:
    Both Carl Jenkinson and Diego Poyet lost plenty of playing time when in the Academy because of injury and illness but Carl was already under the radar of Premier Clubs and the DNA of Poyet meant it was in CAFC Financial interest to retain the players on a longer contract.

• edited February 2017
    Agreed, good luck to you Sam!
  • dickplumb said:

I was told that the Club released him with Alex Kelly because they didn't think he would make it. I had no idea that he had cancer.

Always heard positive things about him so I'm very surprised that he was let go.

The Fact that Sam Bone's brother is on Trial tells you that the Basket case doesn't hold water.

In Sam's Case it is the same at Charlton as every other club.
    When you are a first year Scholar you can't afford to have too many injuries because even thou CAFC rated Sam, it means the length of contract offered will be shorter. (some of our young pros have been getting 2 and 3 years)

There are exceptions:
    Both Carl Jenkinson and Diego Poyet lost plenty of playing time when in the Academy because of injury and illness but Carl was already under the radar of Premier Clubs and the DNA of Poyet meant it was in CAFC Financial interest to retain the players on a longer contract.

To be fair to Cants I remember someone making that comment as well. I can't remember who exactly, but someone posted on here that they spoke to his dad and that Bone had no interest in staying given the state of the club. No idea if it's true of course.

I thought he looked tidy in the little bits I saw him. I know the regular watchers of the youth team on here seemed to really rate him from a young age.

Am I wrong in thinking that Bone was either with or training with Sunderland? Have I completely made that up?

Cancer is a real fucker. So happy that he's back and playing. Big Yann shows you can still go on to have a successful career after having cancer at a young age (Leukemia in his case). Wish him all the best in his recovery.
  • Billy Bone. Sam's father was at Sunderland before enjoying a football career in the Far East and the he became a football pundit.
  • Hi everyone I'm a shamrock Rovers fan and came across this when reading about Sam's history. Thought you guys would like to know that he has signed for us and made his first senior start start in our last game. He played holding midfield and was brilliant, his range of passing was exceptional as was his positioning. He looked a bit unfit and not very mobile but they're both understandable given the circumstances and I'm sure they'll both improve in the coming games. He's playing both u19's and seniors so will get lots of game time this year, I just thought you guys would like an update on him and any questions about him at rovers feel free to ask.
    Also good luck with your owner problems, trust me as a Shamrock rovers (before my time but the effects are still there) and Blackpool fan I 100% know how you feel and I wish you all the best.

Jammie Hoopy bastards! C'mon the Harps!

Best of luck to Sam this season, I missed the game as I was out of the country but we'll be back in Tallaght later in the season.
    The keen of eye would have also noticed the former addick in the dugout for Finn Harps - Harry Doherty back up to the stalwart Ciarán Gallagher.
  • Hi everyone I'm a shamrock Rovers fan and came across this when reading about Sam's history. Thought you guys would like to know that he has signed for us and made his first senior start start in our last game. He played holding midfield and was brilliant, his range of passing was exceptional as was his positioning. He looked a bit unfit and not very mobile but they're both understandable given the circumstances and I'm sure they'll both improve in the coming games. He's playing both u19's and seniors so will get lots of game time this year, I just thought you guys would like an update on him and any questions about him at rovers feel free to ask.
    Also good luck with your owner problems, trust me as a Shamrock rovers (before my time but the effects are still there) and Blackpool fan I 100% know how you feel and I wish you all the best.

Cheers for the update! He was very highly rated here a a youth team player, and I believe we had or have his brother on trial. Given all he has been through at 19 (?), it is incredible that he was able to play first team senior football last night. Long may it continue.