Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who did line up Nicky Ajose?

So the rumour was that Ajose was identified before Slade joined in the summer.

Its pretty clear looking back now that Slade never fancied him at all, and was never a fit for the way Slade wanted to play. Robinson has come in and its been the same again.

So who was identifying / signing our players this summer?

Comments

• Chris Powell...?
  • it would seem to have been a logical/good call at the time .. a prolific goal scorer with a not very successful club joining a 'big', albeit newly relegated club (i.e. CAFC) .. I saw the news and was delighted that we had signed a possibly decent player .. what's not to like ?

If it's the case that Slade never fancied him, then that is indicative of Slade's negative and defensive mindset. Robinson prefers grafters and Ajose does not fit that category, he is a 'Greaves' type sniffer/poacher
  • Maybe this why I'm pony at football, but surely get the ball and bang it in should the way Ajose should be playing not having to play his way.
  • it would seem to have been a logical/good call at the time .. a prolific goal scorer with a not very successful club joining a 'big', albeit newly relegated club (i.e. CAFC) .. I saw the news and was delighted that we had signed a possibly decent player .. what's not to like ?

If it's the case that Slade never fancied him, then that is indicative of Slade's negative and defensive mindset. Robinson prefers grafters and Ajose does not fit that category, he is a 'Greaves' type sniffer/poacher

Sorry, you'll have explain the difference between Slade not fancying him and Robinson not fancying him.. Why one is negative and the other ok?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ajose was the 3rd signing of the summer. So for all the conspiracy theories out there, are you saying that the first 2 signings, Holmes and Novak were not Slade signings as well?

Strange cause they were all announced after Slade was appointed as manager.

This is nothing new to Charlton signing new players without a manager. 2 players signed after Curbishley left and before Dowie was appointed. Sorondo as a free agent after a year on loan from Inter Milan plus Cory Gibbs from Feyenoord.

So who signed those 2? Richard Murray? Andrew Mills?

Sorry, you'll have explain the difference between Slade not fancying him and Robinson not fancying him.. Why one is negative and the other ok?
    if you can't understand a difference in management philosophy, then .. hard luck ..
    remember that it is just a 'rumour' that Slade had no say in Ajose's signing .. a rumour, a guess, an opinion ? ..
    I wrote IF it's the case that Slade never fancied him, and not that I necessarily agreed that Slade never fancied him .. read it again and @AFKABartram's original assertion
    as was written elsewhere, Ajose started the first few games when Slade was manager. A bad start to the season, the signing of Magennis and a change to a defensive 'one up front' meant that Ajose was soon out of favour whether Slade instigated his signing or not
  • As said above, it's got to be that kid with the FIFA game or whatever it is.
  • Fairly obvious from the start of the season was we only had one effective creative player in Holmes, then he got injured. I think Ajose could be forgiven for not setting the world alight immediately and particularly in the above circumstances.
  • razil said:

Fairly obvious from the start of the season was we only had one effective creative player in Holmes, then he got injured. I think Ajose could be forgiven for not setting the world alight immediately and particularly in the above circumstances.

Agreed, but he could have looked like he gave a shit & even tried to run on occasions, instead of standing round like he was waiting for a bus.
  • I imagine they just looked at a list of top goalscorers and picked him, the same as they looked at a league table and picked Wilder. That's the extent of our scouting under Katrien Meire.

So the got the one that can't hit a barn door for us but didn't secure the one that's going to get the team out of this division.
  • I seem to remember wondering why we had signed him while we were managerless. Can someone post some actual facts rather than speculation?
  • I imagine they just looked at a list of top goalscorers and picked him, the same as they looked at a league table and picked Wilder. That's the extent of our scouting under Katrien Meire.

So the got the one that can't hit a barn door for us but didn't secure the one that's going to get the team out of this division.
    Sums up the whole reign really.
    Players (lots) obtained on big money who are shit (Johnson,Ba,Sarr,Ajose et al) - and others released who wouldnt have cost us a fraction (Kermy,Morro,Stephens etc).
    So, all this wastage on shit players eventually paid off, PR companies to make the club look decent - all money that is added to 'our' debt to Staprix.

However, they still dont seem to 'get' it , do they? - and at the same time think we are 'Stupid People'
  • I don't think it's the case that Slade had no input. He certainly vetoed one Meire/Head target. On the other hand it's clear that Novak was lined up before Slade agreed to come and that there was some tension between Slade and Head around the August deadline.

It seems to me the appointment of a chief scout by Meire, reporting to her, before the manager was in place is probably a contributory factor to signings not working out, but it's not the whole explanation.
  • shirty5 said:

Ajose was the 3rd signing of the summer. So for all the conspiracy theories out there, are you saying that the first 2 signings, Holmes and Novak were not Slade signings as well?

This is nothing new to Charlton signing new players without a manager. 2 players signed after Curbishley left and before Dowie was appointed. Sorondo as a free agent after a year on loan from Inter Milan plus Cory Gibbs from Feyenoord.

What a success story that pair were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Given the service Ajose was getting I am not sure that 7 goals in 28 games suggests that he is an awful player, especially given that the lack of goal scoring opportunities would be bound to have an effect on his sharpness, confidence and attitude. All strikers miss chances it's just that you notice them more when there aren't many.

Agree, except that apart from his spell with Swindon in 2015-16 he was never that prolific: 27 scoring 8 for Crewe Alex......24 scoring 7 for Peterborough U (over 3 years). No experience at the highest level either here or abroad and no senior International honours either, for anyone. I guess it depends on the service he gets + the level he is playing at + how the team is set up. Certainly the last category would have told against him with Slade's cautious inclination. Basically - he was worth a try and hasn't worked out (yet).
  • Whichever system of recruitment you use, there are successful signings and flops. Ajose was a perfectly reasonable signing to make at the time, especially with Slade being a 4-4-2 man. A goal poacher is an obvious signing for such a formation, with the likes of Holmes and Botaka providing the width.

He didn't fit in with Robinson's system, BUT if Slade had got more out of him, then maybe there wouldn't have been a vacancy anyway...

• In my experience of hiring professional staff (outside of football admittedly) it takes between 3-6 months from first contact to when they walk through the door.

Doesn't seem unlikely that all the first three in were picked before Slade signed.
  • In my experience of hiring professional staff (outside of football admittedly) it takes between 3-6 months from first contact to when they walk through the door.

Doesn't seem unlikely that all the first three in were picked before Slade signed.

Football is a very different beast, players can be bought and sold in an instant, look at deadline day for example
  • drewman said:

shirty5 said:

Ajose was the 3rd signing of the summer. So for all the conspiracy theories out there, are you saying that the first 2 signings, Holmes and Novak were not Slade signings as well?

What a success story that pair were.
    Yeah. The players weren't much better either.
  • shirty5 said:

Corey Gibbs was a Curbs recommendation. But for the injury he would have been good for us. Just bad luck.
  • dickplumb said:

What does it matter who scouted or signed him. Be honest people who thought that Nicky Ajose was a good signing? I would suggest most of the people on this board. It hasn't worked out for him, so far, these things happen.

I thought signing a guy that scored 20+ goals in this division last season was a brilliant piece of business.