Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can We Make The Playoffs?

With the transfer window about to close everyone's debating whether we now have the squad to get into the playoffs.
Personally, being an optimistic type, I think we might at least get close. We're playing with more energy and confidence (and ability?) than we have for some time. Or could be argued we're a few player short of having a promotion winning squad?

I'd rate our chances of getting promoted at around 8/1 but Paddy Power (other bookies are available) are less impressed with our chances.

Sheff Utd 1/7
Scunthorpe 4/11
Bolton Evens
Bradford 11/4
Miiiilwalll 9/2
Rochdale 11/2
Fleetwood Town 13/2
Charlton 14/1
Peterborough 14/1

Comments

• Options
    I think we can get into the Play-Offs... Whether we go up or not I'm not too sure.

I've often said recently that we need to ensure that we get into the Play-Offs at the right time i.e. A February charge to see us catch everyone would be great followed by a mini-slump as we drop points at Sheffield United etc. in March

April then sees us recover to go on a second unbeaten run to confirm our place allowing us to continue that form into the Play-Offs
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Miiii 9/2? How does that work?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, I hope I've got this right.
    Last season, by way of example, the team in sixth place at the end of the season got 74 points. (So did the team in seventh.) They were a little adrift: the team in fifth had eighty points. But let's target 74.

We are currently in eleventh place with 39 points. So to get to 74, (which may or may not be enough) we need another 35 points from 19 games. An average of 1.85 points per game. The snag is that teams above us who have all performed better than us so far, now need less points to get to 74 points. Bolton and Fleetwood only need 24, Bradford 25, Rochdale 29 and Southend 31. Those are average points per game 1.27, 1.41, 1.47, 1.53 and 1.72 respectively.

The form of Bolton and Fleetwood would have to fail catastrophically for us to overhaul them, so let's ignore them. But even if Bradford, Rochdale and Southend all slumped badly we would still need to achieve a big upswing in form AND do better than two of Bristol Rovers, Peterborough and Millwall.
    Now the last six games we've won three, drawn two and lost one: a pretty fair performance. But still only an average points per game figure of 1.83. Less than we need.
    So, in a word, no. We won't make the play offs unless something remarkable happens. Which explains the odds.

Southend slumped badly last season though, they were around the Play-Offs for a lot of last season but finished around where we are now... Bristol Rovers seem to lose on the road every time they're away at the moment whilst Peterborough are already in a big slump (i.e. lost 4-0 to MK Dons on Saturday).

Its Rochdale and Millwall that threaten our attempt at 6th and a win at Spotland next Tuesday will be huge, Millwall you've got to hope will exhaust themselves in this pointless FA Cup campaign whilst Bradford are usually a dead cert for the Play-Offs

You cant rule out Bolton falling away though, they've got a much stronger team but last season you would have thought it was a three way battle between Coventry | Walsall | Gillingham for the automatic spots and only Walsall secured the Play-Offs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    We'll know by the end of February.
  • Options
    If we keep up our current form from the last 5 games, then anything is possible, but that is some going with an inexperienced squad to keep up that momentum for the remaining 19 games.
  • Options
    We'll just miss out I reckon.
  • Options
    Roland doesn't believe it...
  • Options
    Nope. Roland will see how the odds are against us, so he wont splash out in the transfer window, as it could potentially be a waste of money if we failed. Better to do that in the summer when you have a new season ahead of you to have a proper crack at the top 3.
  • Options
    Surely the question is Will we make the Play Offs?
    We can make the Play Offs.
  • Options
    I honesty don't think that we'll get anywhere near the sort of run we'd need to finish top six.

That's not to say we won't have little runs of 3/4 games unbeaten but I think we have too many draws in us (i.e. haven't quite got the squad to turn those draws into wins)

• Options
    edited January 2017
    i feel the club are really milking the bolton win, its worth f all if we dont carry on winning games, until its mathematically impossible i wont rule it out. possibly can get to them but do think it would be painful and embarassing for all involved.

start of the season it was minimum to get play offs, just another failure by dusty and his sidekick. hopefully he will sell at the end of the season.

end of feb we will know where were heading i think.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

Just need all the protests to stop and everyone to get behind Slade.

You say that but, in reality, one of the things that helps the 'bigger' clubs be successful is having bigger/louder/more intimidating crowds at home.

I know that success on the field brings the fans in so it is possible that it isn't the fans coming that brings success, but with the current owners driving down our attendances we have lost something that would have helped our chances.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the increased sense of atmosphere when we've had bigger protests has led to better results than when the ground is half empty, and you can hear some fart in the stand opposite.

As for the initial question, I don't think we can make the playoffs when we are hamstrung by the current ownership believing that they are cleverer than everyone else, and can be successful with a smaller squad, and more youth players in our team.

It's obvious that Robinson knows he needs another top quality (for our level) player and it is looking more and more likely that we will end up with another loan player that will need six games before we even know what he can deliver.

Realistically I can't see us getting anywhere near being promoted until those running our club have a complete rethink about their goals. I can't see the current owners doing that so I think we are stuck in the third division until RD sells and KM is moved on.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Teams that have achieved 2 points per game over the course of the whole season so far - Scunthorpe.

(Sheffield United just behind 2ppg)

Teams that have done it for a shorter spell of 20 games - Bolton (ok, they're good). And Rochdale.

Fleetwood and Southend have both gone just under 2ppg for a 20 game spell too.

So it has been achieved by the less fancied teams in this league too and is possible.

Doesn't mean we'll do it of course and I think we won't without more bodies incoming today but it's possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No chance
  • Options
    No, I think we've given ourselves too big a mountain to climb. Plus, despite enjoying myself very much at Bolton on Saturday, I'm really not convinced that we are about to sweep all before us.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    of course we can ..... but we won't
  • Options
    You've got to factor in the fact that Robinson will get sacked at some point which might cost us a few points through disruption
  • Options
    Yes we can very much achievable but we're going to need to beat the likes of Fleetwood, Southend and Bradford at home.

We're capable of beating all three of them but whether we do it is another matter.
  • Options
    Using Katy's definition of "improvement", we have more chance of going down than making the play offs.
  • Options
    Yes, we can make the playoffs, indeed I'd be surprised if we didn't make them. We have the 6th best GD in the division, and 3rd fewest goals conceded.

None of the teams around us are consistently good, we just need to become good at nicking wins. Bolton was potentially a breakthrough, as it's the sort of result - a narrow away win with 10 men - that you need to rack up points.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

11 lols? Do people actually still find Henry's repetitve 'get behind Slade' stuff funny, I just find it boring and repetitive. Generally don't mean to be harsh, just don't get how it is funny in any way, shape or form.
    I've had to live with over a decade of cardigan "jokes" but I cope with it.

It's a joke, some people find it funny, you don't. No big deal.
  • Options

Can we do it?
    Yes, we can.

I've had to live with over a decade of cardigan "jokes" but I cope with it.

It's a joke, some people find it funny, you don't. No big deal.
    fair enough, guess my sense of humour isn't just posting the same thing over and over again. Each to their own, you are quite right.