Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why is my car getting so dirty so quickly

And every other vehicle for that matter ? We've had some shitty weather of late but nothing unusual and I can't remember my car and so many others getting so dirty so quickly. It seems like you can't even read the rear number plates on a number of cars at the moment and even a short drive means constantly using the screen washers just to see out. My current 4 wheel drive motor for the first in owning one looks like it's crossed a farmers field, not taken a trip to the shops and cleaning it seems to have a 5 minute effect. Has there been one of those weather events where dirt has been brought over from Europe/Africa by high winds etc ?

Comments

• Options
    Pollution has been very high over London in the last couple of weeks, so probably that.
  • Options
    Gritting on the roads?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I went for a cycle yesterday. Wasn't raining but came home and my bike was dirtier than ever. As I was as well. image
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I went for a cycle yesterday. Wasn't raining but came home and my bike was dirtier than ever. As I was as well. image

but more importantly than car stuff......
    Directsports cycling accessories have some lovely Morvelo shoe covers cheapo! @Buckshee
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Breathing in all that shit and cycling on roads where the vehicle drivers haven't got clear windscreens just seems suicidal, not a healthy lifestyle choice
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If you think about it we've had a fair bit of wet/damp weather this month(as is normal), but no actual significant downpours.....we need one or two to wash all the crap away.
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet hitched a lift with you?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

And every other vehicle for that matter ? We've had some shitty weather of late but nothing unusual and I can't remember my car and so many others getting so dirty so quickly. It seems like you can't even read the rear number plates on a number of cars at the moment and even a short drive means constantly using the screen washers just to see out. My current 4 wheel drive motor for the first in owning one looks like it's crossed a farmers field, not taken a trip to the shops and cleaning it seems to have a 5 minute effect. Has there been one of those weather events where dirt has been brought over from Europe/Africa by high winds etc ?

I thought the same yesterday. I've never seen so many dirty cars. My guess was that's it's something to do with the grit/salt on the roads, which somehow makes the road dirt stick to the cars, perhaps it's down to pollution or both.
    Thirdly, we've not had much rain of late.

My car is not too bad and I've not driven it a lot, so i doubt it's down to pollution.
  • Options
    It's always like this at this time of year. Councils and the highways agency are keener than ever to put grit and salt down which, coupled with the fog and mist makes the whole road network damp. This then sprays up and sticks to cars like shit to a blanket. Coupled with mud and general mud and silt makes every vehicle on the road mucky

I don't think it's any worse this year but if you value your car, clean it and do so more regularly when salt is in prevalence
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't remember having to de-ice my car this much last year or the year before. Colder weather, more gritting of the roads.

Makes having a white car all the more fun. At least spring is coming and I can look forward to scrubbing insects off of it instead
  • Options
    Visiting to many dogging sites?
  • Options
    Held off cleaning my car earlier in the week.

Blanket downpours forecast today which should wash some of the crap from the roads
  • Options
    Just been to the car wash and it was 10 deep, so turned around and came home.

Now what do I do, I'm desperate?
  • Options

buckshee said:

but more importantly than car stuff......
    Directsports cycling accessories have some lovely Morvelo shoe covers cheapo! @Buckshee
    Worst thing is I have some but decided not to wear them yesterday. Pretty bad idea.
  • Options
    You want to.try living in rural North Yorkshire, heading to work on a B road where you're as likely to see a Massey Feruguson tractor as you are a Mercedes. Now that's mucky.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

You need to wrap some duct tape around that.
  • Options
    It's your nextdoor neighbour.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

@DaveMehmet hitched a lift with you?

A thread with a "dirty bike" mentioned and he's nowhere. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My car won't be cleaned until weather changes - no point doing it and for it to get dirty again immediately afterwards!
  • Options
    Something to do with the salt they are gritting the roads with. It's been a nightmare this winter.
  • Options
    A lot of it is also to do with arable fields having no crop cover on them. Winds sweeping across the country with not much more than bare soil to pick up makes for quite a cloud.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Save your paintwork by doing it by hand.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Brexit starting to hit hard already.

• Options
    I have been wondering this myself recently. May daughter has been having interviews for universities in Portsmouth, Colchester and Lincoln over this last week and the amount of screen wash I have got through is ridiculous. The drive up to Lincoln took the whole bottle and I had to top it up for the journey home.
  • Options

I have been wondering this myself recently. May daughter has been having interviews for universities in Portsmouth, Colchester and Lincoln over this last week and the amount of screen wash I have got through is ridiculous. The drive up to Lincoln took the whole bottle and I had to top it up for the journey home.

Don't mention that on the Lincoln thread. Someone will have a pop at you!
  • Options

Could try using it diluted as a screen wash rather than drinking it neat?