Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Many Clouds RIP

How sad. Ran an absolute worldy to hold off Thislecrack and sadly collapsed and died after the race. Been a great racehorse. RIP

Comments

• Options
    Huge shame, very sad RIP
  • Options
    Gave everything for his last win - very sad.
  • Options
    So sad
  • Options
    That is sad. The ugly side of horse racing - RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Was there at Cheltenham today, absolutely outstanding run, when the announcement was made that he had sadly passed away the entire crowd broke into a sombre but appreciative applause, knowing we had just watched one of the modern great horses give it his all one final time.

RIP
  • Options
    My beer tasted just as nice as the one before thanks.

People who condemn the sport don't seem to realise what care, respect and love each and every horse gets. They are treated like kings, and as I have said before these creatures are bred for purpose, it's all they know, and trust me they love what they do, I had the privilege of being up close to some of these remarkable animals today, and no horse would ever be forced to run if something wasn't right with it before the race
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    sam3110 said:

People who condemn the sport don't seem to realise what care, respect and love each and every horse gets. They are treated like kings, and as I have said before these creatures are bred for purpose, it's all they know, and trust me they love what they do, I had the privilege of being up close to some of these remarkable animals today, and no horse would ever be forced to run if something wasn't right with it before the race

Treated like Kings before and after races... Pushed cruelly beyond acceptable limits during.

Sorry if I don't trust you saying they love what they do. I have no evidence to challenge your statement, but I can't think of any creature that likes to be hurt whilst being pushed beyond it's physical limits.

The only a Horse is ever pulled out of a race it seems is for the rider's safety not the Horses.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

sam3110 said:

Treated like Kings before and after races... Pushed cruelly beyond acceptable limits during.

Sorry if I don't trust you saying they love what they do. I have no evidence to challenge your statement, but I can't think of any creature that likes to be hurt whilst being pushed beyond it's physical limits.

The only a Horse is ever pulled out of a race it seems is for the rider's safety not the Horses.
    Well that's bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gone to horsey heaven where the fodder always tastes of apples, carrots and sugar .. a good way to go, if there ever is a good way, having just beaten the latest 'wonder horse' .. Trevor Hemmings, the owner, must be a very sad man tonight
  • Options
    @Dazzler21 let's ban marathons and iron men as people die competing !!!!!
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Why do I know, almost word for word, what Dazzlers reply to this comment is going to be!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Animal Aid's Race Horse Death Watch has recorded the demise of nine race horses at meets in 2017. Records indicate that since March 2007, one thousand four hundred and eighty two race horses have died at meets. That is a disgrace. If the Bookies paid out on this victory, I wonder how many drinks were purchased with the 'winnings'? Rest in peace, innocent creature.

horsedeathwatch.com/

F*ck off back to your vegan thread.

The fact that I can't eat for the next month as I had lumped on Thistlecrack almost seems irrelevant in context. RIP to a fantastic horse.
  • Options
    Certain people wish the death of horses just to be able to make a statement
  • Options
    Keep stroking the cats while not eating meat
  • Options

Having been in and around stables, I am aware of the element of care. Looking after an animal is often an expensive business and, in the case of a thoroughbred racehorse, very much so. Yet, as I have written elsewhere on this topic, the industry itself is all about making money. The individual horse, with its mannerisms, character and particulars, becomes a money-making commodity, on which people place bets. In the all-out effort of competition, overwork and injury can be realised with dire result. Don't damn me with the Ignorant brush, @sam3110. I've been campaigning against horse racing - jump racing especially - for many years. I hope it's noted that I don't engage in personal insults. Regards, etc.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @AFKABartram shut this I think it's best
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

sam3110 said:

Well that's bollocks
    Actually, horses are pulled out of races if they are ill or injured. If a jockey isn't able to ride, guess what - a substitute jockey is found.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

sam3110 said:

Well that's bollocks
    Actually, horses are pulled out of races if they are ill or injured. If a jockey isn't able to ride, guess what - a substitute jockey is found.
    Don't need to explain to the dickheads that jump on bandwagons
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Certain people wish the death of horses just to be able to make a statement

Fuck that I don't wish the death of any animal to make any statement.

smiffyboy said:

Why do I know, almost word for word, what Dazzlers reply to this comment is going to be!
    Is it to do with being forced to compete?
    smiffyboy said:

Why when a jockey falls off a horse does it continue with the rest and jump the obstacles, because it's what horses do, if they don't want to run or jump believe me they wont.

#RIPMANYCLOUDS

My brother has ridden horses for years, he trained to be a farrier and would also do show jumping and dressage in a sand school. But he also used to ride with groups of other riders cross country, horses when spooked bolt together and he had to help calm the other horses if anyone came off.

It was check the rider, fetch and calm the horse and not a whip in sight.

One day another horse reared up and spooked his, both he and the other rider came off unharmed and both horses bolted, jumped over a gate into a farmers field and took about 20 minutes to calm, using treats and calm approaches.

I do look at this from a somewhat knowing perspective.
  • Options
    Poor animal. I don't doubt the horse loved to run but you have to ask questions when it was worked to death, literally.
  • Options
    @Dazzler21 your like a politician never answered my question instead went off in a different direction.

Humans die competing in marathons and iron men challenges, shall we ban them ?????
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

@Dazzler21 your like a politician never answered my question instead went off in a different direction.

Humans die competing in marathons and iron men challenges, shall we ban them ?????

Are they forced to compete or do they choose to?

Horses by choice would not constantly push themselves to their absolute limits. Sure if threatened they might. Or fighting for a mare they might. But otherwise whilst at times playful they're pretty docile.

So only ban races creatures are forced to over exert themselves without a choice in partaking.

Pretty sure this means I would not ban self inflicted races such as marathons and iron man events.
  • Options
    Apologies for upsetting you Smiffyboy but I don't see us agreeing and I'm not the type to start calling people dickheads just because they don't agree with me.

As I say whilst admittedly my brother actually rode and trained horses, I did partake in the care of them from brushing to mucking out and cleaning their hooves.

I suppose experience means nothing in this debate and as such... I'm out.