Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Dave Shipperley

Comments

• More terrible news. Scored the most spectacular own goal but a good player for us generally.
  • Blucher said:

Very sad news - RIP.

A wholehearted player and an absolute giant of a man. Very effective in the opposition penalty area at corners, when he used to charge in from the corner of the box, brushing opponents aside and, more often than not, get a header in on goal or knock the ball down into the danger area for people like Arthur Horsfield. There was always a roar of anticipation from the Covered End as Ship lumbered up for the set play.

He definitely became a policeman and I recall reading that he turned up in our dressing room at Craven Cottage when we were playing Fulham, as that was his local 'patch'.

Didn't he use to work as a builder in the summer ? I seem to recall the Mercury having a picture of him on a building site.
  • More terrible news. Scored the most spectacular own goal but a good player for us generally.

A back pass from the halfway line that sailed over the keepers head if I remember correctly.

Gutted to hear the news of his passing as he was indeed a great servant to the club and always gave 100%. RIP big Dave.

• RIP - very sad so young. Another player from my childhood gone.
  • Sad news.

I suppose a modern equivalent would be Eddie Youds, although Ship scored a lot more goals. Played in the days when you went to The Valley and you felt anything was possible.

RIP Big Ship
  • Big Ship.
    RIP
  • I am another who remembers Dave Shipperley with great affection. You would want Big Ship with you when the going got tough. No-nonsense proper old fashioned centre-half. Corners were far more exciting in those days when you knew there was a good chance of a goal. Nowadays they seem so tame in comparison. Ship-Ship-Ship-Per-ley! RIP Dave.
  • One of my early heroes. No age at all. RIP Ship.

• Sponsored links:

• RIP Big Dave
    Very brave centre half joined the police after his playing days
  • Another from my first ever match. RIP.
  • Loved Big Ship. RIP Big man.
  • RIP Big Ship.
  • Blucher said:

Very sad news - RIP.

A wholehearted player and an absolute giant of a man. Very effective in the opposition penalty area at corners, when he used to charge in from the corner of the box, brushing opponents aside and, more often than not, get a header in on goal or knock the ball down into the danger area for people like Arthur Horsfield. There was always a roar of anticipation from the Covered End as Ship lumbered up for the set play.

He definitely became a policeman and I recall reading that he turned up in our dressing room at Craven Cottage when we were playing Fulham, as that was his local 'patch'.

Didn't he use to work as a builder in the summer ? I seem to recall the Mercury having a picture of him on a building site.
    Wouldn't be surprised. He was a bit of a beast.

I think his long range own goal was against Orient on a Good Friday. Hard to forget that one.
  • rip

The own goal was on good Friday, home to Orient, back pass from the halfway line, sailed
    over the keepers head at the covered end.

• cblock said:

rip

The own goal was on good Friday, home to Orient, back pass from the halfway line, sailed

Not only from the halfway line he was over by the stand at the time so the angle meant the distance was even longer
  • Sad news - fond memories of a decent player.
    Didn't he get blamed for all the goals in the 5-5 at Brizzle ?
  • Far too young. RIP big man.
  • What utterly sad news. Big Ship was a rock of a centre half who gave 200% when he pulled on the shirt. I was always glad to see his name on the team sheet.
    Rest easy big man.
  • Sponsored links:

• cblock said:

rip

Remember it well, 1972. We lost 2-1 that day, I believe ...... and never won another game that season, sinking from 13th into the relegation spots on the final day, with a 5-0 hammering at Blackpool.

Sad news to lose yet another stalwart from those times..

• Loved him Rip thinking of you big ship.
  • Blimey another one from the 'Golden Age' of my teen years. Harry G, Paul Went and now 'Big Ship'
  • RIP , sad news
  • RIP Big Ship
  • I remember him for his crunching tackles, as I'm sure many an opponent would. He was an effective defender for us.

RIP big Dave Shipperley.
  • RIP. Two things stick in my mind about Dave Shipperley.
    Andy Nelson blaming him for all 5 goals at Bristol Rovers.
    And, as a Policeman, I half remember an article where he either walked through a brick wall or a plate glass window !
  • RIP my favourite childhood centre half .
  • RIP Big Ship. A proper, old-fashioned centre half.
  • No age at all. RIP