Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey County Council referendum on increasing council tax 15%

Comments

• Options
    Because, you know, we're great at producing good referendum results in this country.

And, why would we expect the Council we elect to be able to make their own budget decisions?
  • Options
    I'm voting leave.
  • Options
    Surrey's Conservative administration is acting as a lightning rod here with regards to social care funding.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Because, you know, we're great at producing good referendum results in this country.

And, why would we expect the Council we elect to be able to make their own budget decisions?

Our local MP has just written on his Facebook that we have a choice between a 15% council tax rise or 'substantial' cuts to services in the County.

What a great choice.
  • Options
    Very worrying. Let's say that the vote goes the way of "no to 15% tax increase". Now what? No increase at all? Not even 1.5%? Old folk told that "we voted for 'Gerryexit' so out you go"? And who will be the loser? Probably taxpayers in another way, wondering why A&E is clogged up with frail 85-year-olds with routuine infections because they forgot their meds...

If the council is simply trying to make a point about funding this is a bad way of going about it...not to mention the cost of the referendum itself..
  • Options
    Can't say I'm keen on it. It will likely happen elsewhere, too. Because funding for social care is at a local council level it's not surprising that this is the decision councils face the harsh reality is that social care costs won't go away and will in all likelihood increase. If local authorities have had their budgets decreased from central government they are faced with increase Council tax or cut services. I believe a lot of social care costs are a duty of care to councils so they have to find money for everything else like emptying bins, repairing roads etc. Budgets for most councils are cut to smithereens already so there isn't a lot to cut back on any more.
    It's a hard choice to make but probably the only one so long as the government keeps cutting funding to local authorities.
    And furthermore if councils don't pick up the cost central government will have to. We will have to pay for it one way or another.
  • Options
    This will be the tip of the iceberg.

Lots Chief Execs will be watching the outcome of this with interest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this goes ahead there's definitely no chance I'll be able to afford to live here anymore, yay.
  • Options

A few points:
    The notion that there is any actual access to county council funded social care in Surrey or many other tory controlled regions is a nauseating falsehood.
    The tory party is unabashed in its determination to do away with the welfare state in all its forms, not just the looking after those as can't look after themselves, through no fault of their own.
    For a tory party animal to suggest that the electorate has a genuine choice is shameless skulduggery.
    When the "referendum" inevitably opts not to pay 15% higher council tax the tories say "there you are, you heartless proles, you closed the old folks home" while laughing up their sleeves cos the cynical turds fully intend to shut them anyway.
    The notion that the tories would spend 15% more on public services is deliberately preposterous. Even worse is the notion it would be spent responsibly on the highlighted services.
    15% on my council tax is about £350p.a. or £7 a week - less than 2 pints. I obviously realise that's more significant for some than others.
    If there was an atom of integrity in the ruling tory group on Surrey CC I'd vote in favour in a heartbeat just to watch the lying cynical trough-feeders get off the gravy train and actually look after the elderly, infirm, challenged and otherwise deserving.

It's about as likely as Roly learning anything about football or Latrine telling the truth about anything.

Same sort of thoughts went through my mind except there's no trust whether it's Tory/Labour/Liberal or UKIP, I would have had to check to see which party was in power.

It would need a watertight business plan spelling out exactly where the money would be spent, the improvements it would achieve and proof it had happened.

Can you imagine a company asking for money from investors on the basis the company could prove they were able to spend the money.

• Options
    I would vote in favour of the increase.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

The money spent on the referendum would be better spent elsewhere. The council should make the decision.

But they can't. The Tories legislated such that any council tax increases over 2% must be subject to a local referendum.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

seth plum said:

But, how would you feel about being asked the question in the first place?

My view is that the electorate choose people to make difficult decisions on their behalf. They should expect those individuals to throw the question back if it's a bit too difficult.

Your job as an elected councillor is to provide services and infrastructure required to support and satisfy your electorate, within a balanced budget. If you can't do that, resign. Don't just abrogate your responsibility to make decisions.
    The simple edge to this debate which used to be thrown about when I was young was something like, whilst we are paying for all these weapons, we ought to pay the whole bill for the benefit of the general population.
    It was about having money, and then choosing what to spend it on.
    I now realise things aren't that simple.
    I can imagine a time when all government/local government spending, from dog wardens to flood defence, to military defence to brain surgeons, is generally agreed to be necessary and generally agreed that it isn't wasted spending.
    So what if it isn't enough?
    I can imagine a time when I would have to make do with less in order to help fund the general good.
    In the unequal and unbalanced world we have today one can point to a lot of others who should stump up before me, be it stupidly rich people, or government projects that I feel are not needed, but what if, after all that is sorted out, it has to be me...and you too?
    There is a crisis of need due to our ageing population, it's nobody's fault, it is a reality, and it is a need that has to be paid for somehow. So applying that convoluted logic I would probably vote for a 15% increase in my council tax.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

My view is that the electorate choose people to make difficult decisions on their behalf. They should expect those individuals to throw the question back if it's a bit too difficult.

Your job as an elected councillor is to provide services and infrastructure required to support and satisfy your electorate, within a balanced budget. If you can't do that, resign. Don't just abrogate your responsibility to make decisions.
    The simple edge to this debate which used to be thrown about when I was young was something like, whilst we are paying for all these weapons, we ought to pay the whole bill for the benefit of the general population.
    I can imagine a time when all government/local government spending, from dog wardens to flood defence, to military defence to brain surgeons, is generally agreed to be necessary and generally agreed that it isn't wasted spending.
    I can imagine a time when I would have to make do with less in order to help fund the general good.
    In the unequal and unbalanced world we have today one can point to a lot of others who should stump up before me, be it stupidly rich people, or government projects that I feel are not needed, but what if, after all that is sorted out, it has to be me...and you too?
    There is a crisis of need due to our ageing population, it's nobody's fault, it is a reality, and it is a need that has to be paid for somehow. So applying that convoluted logic I would probably vote for a 15% increase in my council tax.
    I would too. But, equally, I would be furious t being asked the question in the first place.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

I would too. But, equally, I would be furious t being asked the question in the first place.
    As a couple of people have said, they don't have a choice. The referendum is legal requirement. They have to ask the question.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

As a couple of people have said, they don't have a choice. The referendum is legal requirement. They have to ask the question.
    No they don't. It should be their last resort. Behind the key tasks of (1) ensuring full value for every penny of tax-payers money spent and (2) petitioning central government for increased funds.

They may have to ask the question if all other avenues have been fully explored. But have they?

My view is that they shouldn't *ask* the question, because they shouldn't *have to* ask the question.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Jodaius said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Chizz said:

seth plum said:

No they don't. It should be their last resort. Behind the key tasks of (1) ensuring full value for every penny of tax-payers money spent and (2) petitioning central government for increased funds.

They may have to ask the question if all other avenues have been fully explored. But have they?

My view is that they shouldn't *ask* the question, because they shouldn't *have to* ask the question.
    I presume that what you are saying is that you feel that they shouldn't be in a position where they need to increase council tax by more than 5%?

There will always be an element of subjectivity in such judgements of course, but I don't think it's possible to have an informed opinion without at least having looked at the Council's budget and medium term financial plan and taken into account their specific circumstances. It's easy to fall into the trap of assuming the stereotypical view of inefficiency in local government, but the reality is that most authorities have seen a huge decrease in their spending power over the past few years and have had to make difficult decisions as a result.

As for 'petitioning' for more money this is unlikely to achieve a lot - the bulk of local government funding is determined centrally and trying to fight the system directly is probably an even bigger waste of local resources. But I do think this move is interesting in that it is clearly intended of itself to highlight the issues and prompt a wider debate, which can only be a positive thing.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

seth plum said:

Im pretty sure council tax increases are capped at a certaib level. The onlt way to go above the level is to seek approval of the electorate
  • Options
    Whenever I'm in the States every other advert is a sponsored political message urging you to "vote yes on proposition 47" - I really hope we don't end up in that situation, we either elect people to govern or we don't.
  • Options
    Another winner from the Tories, right up there with the EU referendum.
  • Options
    Surely if Surrey manage to significantly improve care, swarms of elderly people will arrive from all over the country seeking extra benefit?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Whenever I'm in the States every other advert is a sponsored political message urging you to "vote yes on proposition 47" - I really hope we don't end up in that situation, we either elect people to govern or we don't.

Mooching war widows