Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt interview after Millwall

13»

Comments

• I was/am in favour of his return but it is shocking he has come back so unfit. Unaware he was injured. Not playing may mean he is not match sharp but should be able to last 90.
  • This boy has talent
    Rather he played for us than against us
    One of the few positive game changers we have

Corrected it for you
  • edited January 2017
    I'm actually appalled by his lack of fitness. He was knackered almost as soon as he came on. Don't think he should be anywhere near the team at the moment.
  • I love tony watt
  • I like him but thought he looked very unfit on Saturday. Was he not playing at Hearts?
  • I like him but thought he looked very unfit on Saturday. Was he not playing at Hearts?

A new manager came in October & hasn't played since. So 3 months & no first team matches.

A new manager came in October & hasn't played since. So 3 months & no first team matches.
    I wonder why.
  • He ought to get fit before being considered for a match day squad, that's usually what's expected of the other players.
  • seth plum said:

He ought to get fit before being considered for a match day squad, that's usually what's expected of the other players.

Even if he wasn't playing, he should have been training with the rest of the team. He should be fitter than he showed on Saturday.
  • seth plum said:

He ought to get fit before being considered for a match day squad, that's usually what's expected of the other players.

Of course, Seth. But it was anticipated that Watt would get only 10 or 15 minutes at the end, and no doubt considered fit enough to do that.

The manager wasn't expecting to use 2 subs in the first 25 minutes, which was a bit unlucky - but taking into account that the gameplan relied on Magennis in his lone forward role, it seems a bit careless not to have a physical player on the bench more suited to the role than an unfit Watt playing out of position.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    Oggy Red said:

seth plum said:

Of course, Seth. But it was anticipated that Watt would get only 10 or 15 minutes at the end, and no doubt considered fit enough to do that.

The manager wasn't expecting to use 2 subs in the first 25 minutes, which was a bit unlucky - but taking into account that the gameplan relied on Magennis in his lone forward role, it seems a bit careless not to have a physical player on the bench more suited to the role than an unfit Watt playing out of position.

In hindsight a bad move by being by being a bit more aggressive with his bench options - i.e. Watt for <30mins to chuck on if we're chasing the game. Generally Magennis doesn't get subbed so assume the plan would be to sling on a gamechanger if we're going for it.

In this case it was undone, but I wouldn't pin too much blame on Robinson. Might serve as a bit of a lesson though.

Let's see if Watt can get fit and firing - not write him off, not label him the best player in the league (yet)... let's just see how he gets on. No one knows.
  • Oggy Red said:

seth plum said:

I get your point, but still question the wisdom of naming him even if you think he would be a late game changer or something.
    Indeed at Southend it was the introduction of Umerah and KAG (as well as Botaka) that changed the game late on.
    I want Tony Watt to be the one, but I don't think he should have any special treatment compared to the other players.
  • Oggy Red said:

seth plum said:

Like who? Hanlan or Umerah? Wouldn't have been the game to throw them into either.
  • edited January 2017
    Watt was a good call for the bench - sadly circumstances meant we played him too early - I think the error was JFC. As we had Ulvestadt also on the bench! But hey ho - it was unlucky! But as has been said - we don't have any out and out replacement for Magennis.
  • edited January 2017
    Watt cafc=7 in 37 this season HOM 1 IN 16. Ajose cafc this season 6 in 21 career Watt 37 in 164 Ajose 69 in 208
    one isfit the other cleary not neither have had particularly good service. I know who I would choose to play and keep.
  • edited January 2017
    smurfd said:

Watt cafc=7 in 37 this season HOM 1 IN 16. Ajose cafc this season 6 in 21 career Watt 37 in 164 Ajose 69 in 208
    one isfit the other cleary not neither have had particularly good service. I know who I would choose to play and keep.

I'd choose Watt as he is a better player and his goals have been scored against better players! You can always get him fit.
  • I did love how TWWW's first action was to just dance past two defenders. Whole crowd roared.
  • I personally have always love tony and think he can really bring something to us, I really hope I am not proved wrong because ever since he first went out on loan I have always wanted him back and I so hope now he is back I don't get let down. He reminds me of a Jerome Tomas an change games, is exiting and can skin people for fun when he wants to
  • smurfd said:

I'd choose Watt as he is a better player and his goals have been scored against better players! You can always get him fit.
    No other club has manged to get him fit so far what will make us any different fitness starts in the mind not the body.,
  • Sponsored links:

• I did love how TWWW's first action was to just dance past two defenders. Whole crowd roared.

Seriously?
  • seth plum said:

He ought to get fit before being considered for a match day squad, that's usually what's expected of the other players at normal clubs, with normal squads.

• smurfd said:

We're assuming Watt?
  • i think we might have found our next scapegoat :smile:
  • edited January 2017
    JamesSeed said:

smurfd said:

We're assuming Watt?
    Yes Watt is a big assumption!
  • i think we might have found our next scapegoat :smile:

Having corrected another poster , please note. A scapegoat is someone you blame and make responsible for other people's inadequacies. Watt is inadequate himself. The reason he annoys me is without doubt he has a talent. What he doesn't have is a brain or the dedication. He is a very fortunate man to be born with a natural flair for football. He is lazy, petulant and obviously a bit dim. He will steal a living in football the way Danny Wilson steals a living in management. He will look back when he's 35 and have deep regrets. Nuff said.
  • Personally, I don't believe a word of it!
  • Said this about TW before, he needs to make it work somewhere, or he will find himself playing in the third tier of the US League, like our old mate Carlton Cole. He is running out of chances - fast.
  • not sure I'd know when he was fit or not, to me he always looks the same (sluggish) unless he has the ball at his feet
  • fuck me we aint blessed with options, especially as we dont have that midfielder to supply the service which would make Ajose shine in the team, with the fixtures coming up he will regain fitness fairly soon as it will be like a pre-season in the next month with fixtures coming thick and fast.I am willing to give him another go, lets be honest he is at his happiest playing in matches, maybe not in training, get him on the pitch hopefully scoring goals and see where it takes us.Christ we need something to grasp and hold on to as fans and he is a player who can get you off of your seat.