Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the violence on NHS Staff - sign the petition

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017

kigelia said:

As a member of the NHS can I just say I'm fine thanks.

There is already a law against assaulting me. Whether I am at work, home or the pub. Don't need anything else. Why does someone hitting my wife when she is at work warrant less punishment than if they hit me when I was working?

IF your Mrs works in 'dangerous environment' where assault is a distinct possibility, then she should also carry extra legal protection ..
    I think it is fair to say that if a man comes home from the pub after a skin full and his dinner isn't ready waiting on the table for him, then she deserves it.
  • Options
    Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Make it a specific criminal offence to attack any member of NHS Medical Staff.”.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/176138
    The debate is scheduled for 27 February 2017.
    Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.
  • Options
    It must have affected you sweetheart if it took over a week to respond.
    Try and stay strong for us all.
  • Options

I only saw it today. You are a real piece of work if you think it's ok to post what you did. I wouldn't be comfortable about you being anywhere near any women if you think it's ok to assault them.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I only saw it today. You are a real piece of work if you think it's ok to post what you did. I wouldn't be comfortable about you being anywhere near any women if you think it's ok to assault them.
    Get over yourself
  • Options
    iainment said:

What a pansy
  • Options
    I'm amazed. And worried that anyone thinks that's ok.
  • Options
    Do you really think he's advocating violence against women? I know you struggle with jokes but even you must be able to see that. Your comment about not being comfortable with him being around women is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on here.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm pretty certain that Admin would have removed the post and at the very least given Robbo a warning if they deemed it to be anything other than the irony he was clearly trying to convey........as uncomfortable as the subject matter may be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, to summarise, jokes about domestic violence are absolutely fine, but objecting to them is absolutely not?
  • Options
    I
    iainment said:

I'm amazed. And worried that anyone thinks that's ok.

Is this guy for real? Does anyone know him in real life?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Stig said:

Fiiish said:

SDAddick said:

@Fiiish can you elaborate on your experiences with this in Britain? I think everyone gets protective over their children, so I would certainly expect some tensions in that level. But I'm a bit surprised to hear you think of Britons as being highly self-entitled.

In the general sense, I see it all the time. People hogging as much space as possible when on public transport and when out shopping. When driving, plenty of people who think normal road rules don't apply to them, or park in front of driveways/garages rather than find a different space, or tailgating when there is absolutely no point (the number of times people tailgate me when there are a dozen cars in front of me so clearly tailgating me is not going to make me go faster). People beeping at each other when there is no need to, or throwing the fingers out the window/shouting at them as they go past. There seems to be no respect for the fact they share this planet with other human beings so sometimes they might need to share resources or be patient. This is not, by far, the case with all Britons, but even if say 10% of Britons feel this self-entitled, the other 90% take the typical stiff-upper lip attitude and don't say anything. If more of these selfish idiots were challenged on a daily basis I imagine this behaviour would see a downturn.

If you want my specific experience, well one school I worked at had a blacklist of parents who were not permitted on school grounds due to their inability to discuss their child's education without threatening or resorting to physical violence.

Likewise as I mentioned before, the bloke who thought the rational response to getting his car clamped was to threaten a bunch of office workers until he got what he wanted. It all stems from the same attitude "no one else matters except me". Perfectly exemplified by a horribly designed roundabout near my house where these arsehole drivers constantly just drive across because they think normal road rules don't apply to them. It didn't take long for the inevitable to happen and for two of these arsehole drivers to meet at the same time at the roundabout and collide into one another.
    Unfortunately I see a lot of this stuff as well. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it is down to living in such close proximity to so many others. Years a go a read a study where the researchers had bred small mammals (I know there were rats involved and I believe other species) in groups of varying sizes. They found that there was a maximum threshold for peaceable living. From this they'd somehow extrapolated a population figure for humans, below which you'd expect them to be respectful and peaceable and to generally get on well with their neighbours. Above this threshold you'd expect that significant numbers of people would feel dissociated from their peers in some way and would frequently behave in aggressive and/or antisocial ways. I forget the exact figures, but it roughly amounted to this: If you live your life in a small isolated village, you can expect the vast majority of people to be respectful and non-aggressive. If you live in a town, or worse still a city, you can expect to see violence and anti-social behaviour on a regular basis (not from everyone, but from enough for it to be a regular feature). Sadly, the trend is for people to live in ever more heavily populated places; I know it sounds fatalistic, but I think we have to accept some aggro as a consequence of the way we've organised our lives.
    Agree with you Stig, but then how do the Japanese manage so well?
    They seem to work as a society by showing such great manners, respect and consideration for their fellow crushed-in city dwellers.
    It can be done, but it will take a huge change in mind-set, and it's not one I can ever see coming in England.
  • Options
    We are so many mixed races now in London particularly......this is not the case in Japan.
  • Options
    Fortunately, I live in a medium-sized town that's overwhelmingly white British. As a result, we amazingly don't have any of the problems described by @Fiiish or @Stig . We all live in peaceful harmony. It's very much like The Truman Show, just without the constant surveillance.
  • Options
    I received this email this morning .. I'm pleased that all parliamentary time is not being taken up by Brexit

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Make it a specific criminal offence to attack any member of NHS Medical Staff.”.

Dear Stephen xx

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Make it a specific criminal offence to attack any member of NHS Medical Staff.”.
    Government responded:
    Assaults against NHS staff are unacceptable, and already criminalised. If the victim serves the public, an assault is treated more seriously. A new offence would not provide additional protection.
    Assaults against NHS staff are completely unacceptable. The Government is determined to ensure that all public servants have a safe and secure working environment. Any assault on someone providing a service to the public (including NHS staff) is treated extremely seriously. The fact that the victim is providing a service to the public is listed as an aggravating factor in sentencing guidelines which courts have a statutory duty to follow. As such, offenders who assault someone providing a service to the public may face a higher sentence than that for other assaults.
    If NHS staff are attacked, there should be no hesitation in involving the police.
    A protocol to tackle violence and anti-social behaviour in the NHS by shared actions between the Police, Crown Prosecution Service and NHS Protect was signed in 2011. It sets out steps to improve the protection of NHS staff, to strengthen the investigation and prosecution process by improving the quality of information exchanged, and to improve victim and witness support. This protocol is currently being updated: the revised version is due to be in place in the coming months.
    Further, the Code for Crown Prosecutors states, when considering the Public Interest Stage, “a prosecution is also more likely if the offence has been committed against a victim who was at the time a person serving the public”.
    There is already a range of offences which criminalise assault or violent behaviour. These start with common assault, the maximum sentence for which is 6 months imprisonment or a fine or both. (This is the same maximum as for the specific offence of assaulting a constable in the execution of his duty.) Assault occasioning Actual Bodily Harm and Wounding or Inflicting Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) are more serious offences against the person, both with a maximum custodial sentence of 5 years. The most serious applicable offences, such as wounding or causing GBH with intent, have a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
    All these offences apply whoever is the victim, including of course NHS staff. Employers in the NHS are responsible for assessing and addressing risks to staff, in accordance with detailed guidance.
    Ministry of Justice
    Click this link to view the response online:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/176138?reveal_response=yes
    This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.
    The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee
    Thanks,
    The Petitions team
    UK Government and Parliament

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Make it a specific criminal offence to attack any member of NHS Medical Staff.”.
    To unsubscribe from this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/30069872/unsubscribe?token=McJnmDvkiRFgY2S4Mqh0

• Options
    Good answer.