Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Substitutes.

Before Da Silva today:
When was the last time we substituted a substitute for non-injury reasons?

Comments

• no idea .. but today's was a crackers decision .. he looked skilful and lively .. Robinson's not going to improve his confidence much by doing this .. UNLESS he was actually injured
  • no idea .. but today's was a crackers decision .. he looked skilful and lively .. Robinson's not going to improve his confidence much by doing this .. UNLESS he was actually injured

He put some good crosses in, just no one at the near post.

We needed to get Holmes on. Da Silva played for about an hour and that's probably at least double what he could've expected under normal circumstances.

Because of the enforced need to make an early substitution he was brought on a lot sooner than he should have, in fact, so was TW in my view and they both ran out of steam towards the end but only one could come off. Give them a bit more chance to get match fit and they will both be starters, not on the bench.
  • Didn't Charlton Cole come on at half time, and was substituted before the final whistle when he was on loan?
  • Thought Byrne should have gone off for Holmes today
  • Leuth said:

Thought Byrne should have gone off for Holmes today

agree
  • DaSilva was knackered, he's only played kiddy football so far, probably with a sponge ball
  • I hope Karl made it perfectly clear to Da Silva that the decision to take him off was not due to him playing badly. He did really well considering everything.

He is so tiny. How old is he? Can he still grow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Da silva looked like a fish out of water. He's not ready for League 1

Who else would you have taken off to get Holmes on?
  • Lightweight, knocked off the ball easily,gave the ball away - how easily pleased some people are.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'm pretty sure that neither Da Silva nor Tony Watt were fit enough to play more than 30 mins, and they were on the bench to get some match time later on in the game. We were really buggered by the two injuries we got, and it's nuts to call Robinson out for the subs we made.

Yeah, nuts to call out the manager whose job it is to plan for such eventualities and to persuade the billionaire owner to invest properly in the squad.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'm pretty sure that neither Da Silva nor Tony Watt were fit enough to play more than 30 mins, and they were on the bench to get some match time later on in the game. We were really buggered by the two injuries we got, and it's nuts to call Robinson out for the subs we made.

Yeah, nuts to call out the manager whose job it is to plan for such eventualities and to persuade the billionaire owner to invest properly in the squad.
    Yeah but the owner's a penny pinching knobcheese.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah but the owner's a penny pinching knobcheese.
    Quite agree. Maybe the mercenary manager should have worked that out too.
  • Da Silva has never kicked a ball at first team level before, he has raw talent but I highly doubt he's going to do much productive with it in the next couple of months-but he'll get some first team experience that benefits him & Chelsea.
  • Didn't Charlton Cole come on at half time, and was substituted before the final whistle when he was on loan?

Yes. And I'm pretty sure he scored the winner that game too.
  • Chizz said:

Didn't Charlton Cole come on at half time, and was substituted before the final whistle when he was on loan?

Yes. And I'm pretty sure he scored the winner that game too.
    Think he scored the winner against us, when we were two up and had Paul Konchesky sent off against Chelsea in the first game of the season, many years ago.