Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

R I P (fan) Rupert Prokoviev

We have, sadly, lost another fan in the last week.

Rupert Prokoviev was a member of the famous musical dynasty but an 'ordinary' fan of the club

He was, however, an extraordinary individual who defied the odds to live to 31 with a rare condition whose average life expectancy is a mere 26.

I hope that the link I have included with this post works as it will take you to a video of the interview he and his brother, Sergei, gave on Classic FM as recently as October last year.

If you can view it then you will see and hear Rupert in his own words talk about dealing with the hand life deals you

It will also put a face to a name and help people to recognise him

I first met Rupert around 2010 when I started work as an advocate with Greenwich Association of Disabled People (GAD), based then and now at Christchurch in Trafalgar Road

Rupert was, at the time, a Trustee of GAD and someone who was a living example of what is possible despite - because? - of the limitations imposed by a life-limiting, genetic disability

He went up further in my estimation when I realised that I recognised him from seeing him at The Valley

Rupert was a campaigner not only for his own specific and rare condition but for increased rights and resources for disabled people, generally.

He will be sorely missed by all those he came into contact with, including, I'm sure those who knew him as a fellow Red.

I am sure that the society discussed in the Classic FM interview would be pleased to receive donations in his name.

http://www.classicfm.com/radio/charity/a-t-society/#Dg3W2oAUaZ2JqD2M.97

Comments