Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Academy 11

To celebrate another academy player (I know he joined later than most but still) being sold on after a couple of seasons of playing for us at most, thought I'd put together a side of currently playing ex-Charlton youth.

Could many other teams except Arsenal/Southampton/Man Utd do better? I mean English so don't bring up Barcelona... I guess one star player like Sterling/Kane would put Liverpool and Spurs up there too.

Randolph

Solly
Gomez
Jenkinson
Fox/THD (Konchesky probably worse than them two nowadays)

Cousins
Shelvey
Arter

Lookman
Defoe
Palmer

Would have Parker, Elliot, Poyet, Lennon, Sam, Harriott to choose from as well.

Comments

• How depressing

(Not your post as such, just the thought of having those players come through and looking at our current squad)
  • How depressing

(Not your post as such, just the thought of having those players come through and looking at our current squad)

Why is it depressing? Reading through Charlton Life you'll realize they were/are all useless. We don't need players like this.
  • How depressing

To make it more depressing, we probably got about the price of Ross McCormack for all of them.
  • That's the nature of football, imagine if Southampton still had Lallana, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale up front!
  • What about Jenkinson?
  • edited December 2016

That's the nature of football, imagine if Southampton still had Lallana, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale up front!

The players Southampton have sold (and very good overall money achieved) in the last 30 months has been simply astonishing:

Luke Shaw - £27m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Adam Lallana - £25m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Callum Chambers - £16m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Nathanial Clyne - £12.5m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Dejan Lovren - £20m - Cost £8m from Lyon
    Rickie Lambert - £4m - Cost £1m from Bristol Rovers
    Morgan Schneiderlin - £25m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Juanmi - £3m - Cost £6m from Malaga
    Victor Wanyama - £11m - Cost £12m from Celtic
    Sadio Mane - £34m - Cost £12m from RB Salzburg
    Graziano Pelle - £12m - Cost £9m from Feyenoord

That's £189.5m from those 11 sales alone - but they've spent, in that time, £149.5m for a net profit of £40m plus the TV money.

And they are currently sitting in 8th place in the PL.

Roland - that is how to run a Club.
    I've added the amount they spent for you... £48m in total for those players mentioned so a total profit of £141m
  • Extending this to players who have left and include Rufus, who of course wasn't sold, I'd go with:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Gomez
    Rufus
    Konchesky

Cousins

Arter
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Defoe
  • How Arter never got a chance I don't know. He was obviously a decent player.
  • edited December 2016
    Sterling was not from Liverpool, QPR I think.

You could also add in that list Ryan Huddart who is in Arsenal academy, and I think quite highly thought of, Charloe Colkett of Chelsea (although he left us pretty young to be fair) and is Semi Ajayi still at Cardiff too?

Plus, if you have Lookman you can have Pope too I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Splodge said:

Extending this to players who have left and include Rufus, who of course wasn't sold, I'd go with:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Gomez
    Rufus
    Konchesky

Cousins

Arter
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Defoe

Would have Bowyer instead of Arter, but otherwise a very good side.
  • I believe Jordan Ibe was on our books as a teenager but we released him due to his size if memory serves
  • Splodge said:

Extending this to players who have left and include Rufus, who of course wasn't sold, I'd go with:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Gomez
    Rufus
    Konchesky

Cousins

Arter
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Defoe

Bowyer is retired though... the OP is asking for players who are still actively playing
  • Splodge said:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Gomez
    Rufus
    Konchesky

Cousins

Arter
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Defoe

Bowyer is retired though... the OP is asking for players who are still actively playing
    So is Rufus.
  • Splodge said:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Gomez
    Rufus
    Konchesky

Cousins

Arter
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Defoe

So is Rufus.
    Going to be the captain in Mean Machine 3 I heard.
  • That's the nature of football, imagine if Southampton still had Lallana, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale up front!

The players Southampton have sold (and very good overall money achieved) in the last 30 months has been simply astonishing:

Luke Shaw - £27m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Adam Lallana - £25m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Callum Chambers - £16m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Nathanial Clyne - £12.5m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Dejan Lovren - £20m - Cost £8m from Lyon
    Rickie Lambert - £4m - Cost £1m from Bristol Rovers
    Morgan Schneiderlin - £25m - Academy Player... Cost Nothing
    Juanmi - £3m - Cost £6m from Malaga
    Victor Wanyama - £11m - Cost £12m from Celtic
    Sadio Mane - £34m - Cost £12m from RB Salzburg
    Graziano Pelle - £12m - Cost £9m from Feyenoord

That's £189.5m from those 11 sales alone - but they've spent, in that time, £149.5m for a net profit of £40m plus the TV money.

And they are currently sitting in 8th place in the PL.

Roland - that is how to run a Club.
    I've added the amount they spent for you... £48m in total for those players mentioned so a total profit of £141m
    Clyne was bought from Palace, Schneiderlin from France.

Also, not taking anything away from Southampton, brilliant business over last few years, but many of those players (definitely Clyne/Lallana) had sell on clauses which does decrease the amounts received.