Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    that is a question that could be asked of a lot on here ..
    No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Speaking for me, my brother and my nephew as soon as there is a regime change there will be three new season tickets sold for starters.
    this could go on for years and years .. are you saying that even if we were to get back to the top flights (unlikely as it seems a t m ) you just WOULD NOT ever again go to the Valley to watch Charlton and neither would your family ? .. when does a 'fan' become an 'ex fan'
    This is all hypothetical but for us to get back to the PL under this regime would mean them doing a complete about turn and that isn't going to happen is it? However, if slowly, they started to run the Club properly and realise what being a Charlton fan means then I'm sure I could be won over but it's so unlikely it's not even worth a nano second considering.
    I agree with your passion and motives .. you will excuse me if now and then I am mischievous and play devil's advocate ..
    by happenstance there was a prog on Radio4 this a.m. about global trade and commerce ..
    a Man U follower on interview stated that he's been 'boycotting' the club as a paying fan for 11 years, ever since the Glazers took over, he wants to see the 'average man' in the Mancunian street back in the fold, wants local ownership and not the club run by foreigners for foreigners .. I share his sentiment, however we do live in a world run on commercial lines and any club's fans with ambition must realise that a 'sell out' is inevitable .. otherwise you can have a club the size of (say) Dulwich, a nice local outfit playing minor league and going nowhere
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

I wonder what the difference financially between players out and players in ( wages and fees included) since Roly has been at the helm. At a guess I'd say he's in credit. Does anybody know ?
    Not pitch, academy building work or purchase of club

Undisclosed.
  • Options
    Ade has the potential to be a Messi type of player. I think that is why Everton have paid top dollar to get him. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with much better players playing one touch with him. The only Charlton player a bit like him was Alan Campbell, as Purdis says...but Campbell was much stronger, plus had the fluid skills.
  • Options
    I'm far from giving the club the benefit of the doubt but I would say that judgement should be held back on what they do with the money until this window closes, at least. I would be much more disappointed if someone from the club came out and announced that we had £5m burning a hole in our pockets - especially as I've heard comments that we already pay over the odds and that clubs put the price up as soon as we are interested.

However, the fact that we seem to have got a decent fee on this occasion reminds me of the saying that even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. Nothing that the club do will be considered a success, holistically, until we are in the top half of the Championship and talk of relegation has disappeared.
  • Options
    So we rejected bids last January and in the summer, but apparently we sell at tbe first available opportunity?

For once I think this was handled well by the club, but haters gotta hate amirite?
  • Options
    Sad to seek Ademola Lookman go, as he's the first top class forward we've brought through since Paul Walsh in 1980. At least we got 49 games out of him, as opposed to the now customary 25 or so.

He came into the side at a real nadir for the club - especially with that clown Fraeye in charge - but, however grim things were, he always offered the prospect of a bit of magic at some stage of the game and usually delivered. Looking at the excellent video posted by @CWadlan (and from everything else I've seen and heard), Ademola seems a great lad, full of humility and gratitude for the help he's had in his career. I find that hugely refreshing in the modern game. Apart from being very grounded, I think the fact that he's not come through the cosseted Premier League academy system is also likely to stand him in good stead.

I'm very pleased that he's gone to a excellent club like Everton and shall follow his career with great interest and pride.

As to the terms of the 'undisclosed' transfer, the consensus appear to be that the fee is £7.5 million (presumably paid over 12 months), rising potentially to £10-11 million with add ons. According to that esteemed organ, the Evening Standard, we also have a sell-on clause, which will be very important if Ademola fulfils his potential.

Viewed objectively and in isolation, it's a good deal as (1) we're a mid-table League 1 side who are well out of the promotion race, (2) selling teams usually receive larger fees in the January window and (3) Everton are almost in the position of a 'special purchaser', given that Bolasie is out for a whole year.

The problem, of course, is that Roland will see the deal as a vindication of his 'player farm' strategy and, commensurate with that, Robinson is likely to be given a very modest amount to improve our anaemic and under-strength squad (which is just the way Roland likes it). Karl Robinson's concerted efforts to talk up Konsa and Aribo (the new "Patrick Veira"/"Dele Alli") are also unhelpful as, apart from the potential impact on the lads themselves, it smells of trailing our coat for future sales and will only serve to encourage Duchatelet to continue with his reductive experiment.

Anyway, good luck Ademola, you did us proud. Looking forward to seeing you perform your magic on Match of the Day.
  • Options
    vff said:

Posting without reading whole thread

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-could-profit-from-ademola-lookman-10m-everton-move-again-after-agreeing-sell-on-clause-a3433856.html

Good luck to Adeola Lookman. Everton is a good place for a young player to develop. Good fee, add ons and sell on.

I am sceptical about how much money will be made available for team building. It is likely that Duchatelet is deluded & arrogant enough to think he deserves to draw some profit for sharing his genius strategy & footballing insight with Charlton. Duchatelet is all about the money at the end of the day.

Really, who the hell is Katrien Meire kidding with that statement.

“Our intention was not to sell Ademola, we are very sad to see him go and our long-term ambition is that we get ourselves into a position where our talented young players, even when there is interest from Premier League clubs, want to stay with us.”

The whole Duchatelet strategy is based on selling on young players and players developed from the Academy.

(Also players that have shown potential, that have gone off track, and may get back on it, Makienok, Watt, Foster - Caskey etc , or players from an undervalued market that have a sell on).

For Meire to try and spin this that Duchatelet & Charlton are not a selling club and that this is not a part of the strategy, shows the level of disrespect that Meire has for Charlton supporters. Worse still, Meire tries to pin the desire to move on Lookman themselves. Utter disingenous bullshit.

A large part of Charlton supporters & football supporters are not thick idiots that are not able to see the evidence in front of their eyes and can join the dots between all the public pronouncements & actions taken. Football supporters are able to suspend disbelief and can live off hope. Even when, 3-0 down with 10 minutes to go, if there is quality on the pitch & fight in the team, I still hold onto belief that Charlton can stage a miraculous fightback. That does not mean that I can do that, that I will believe the lies, half truths and PR bullshit that that Meire & the club come out with.

Young players sold on so far Poyet, Gomes, Ahearn-Grant, Pope, Harriott, Cousins and now Lookman. Aribo & Konsa the next ones of the Valley show case shop window. Spare the 'we want the players to remain at the club' and that there is any genuine sense of team building.

Duchatelet does not understand football supporters, we are children, are not very bright, a unchanging variable in the equation, only best to make comments on the number of chips and the serving of the beer. Such high faluting and complex things as running of the team or how the club runs is beyond us according to Duchatelet. Any of us, not in agreement, are stupid, misinformed or misled by 1 or 2 agitators with grudges. It drives Duchaltelet to distraction when people don't do exactly what he wants or behave in the prescribed away.

This attitude spins right to down to Meire, who feels that she can come out with totally disingenous / bullshit statements. The worst thing is that she did not need to make that statement. Meire would be best off, putting all of her public statements, through the new PR Pitch contact person as she really knows how to get people's backs up and put her foot in it, more or less everytime that she opens her mouth.

In any case, best of luck to Adeola Lookman and I hope he has a really successful time at Everton.

Nice post.

I think you mean Holmes-Dennis, who was sold to Huddersfield, rather than Ahearne-Grant though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

According to the SLP, Lookman went to school at St Thomas The Apostle in Nunhead, right under the nose of Millwall. They need to get their scouting system sorted out. They've missed £11 million sitting on their doorstep.

On transfers like this, I always think of the scout who spotted him playing for Waterloo FC, before the Academy Staff and an agent got involved. Its always nice to see the scout get a bonus, or maybe he was recommended by the coach at Waterloo FC, and we followed it up. It is also interesting to know why he wasnt picked out by other London clubs at a younger age and slipped through the Academy net.

I hope it all works out well for him. In previous threads I have commented on his lack of tactical awareness, particularly losing the ball in poor areas or when most of his team-mates had moved in advance of him in the build-up. I suspect that may be a result of joining the Academy late, when most boys would have had 3 or 4 more years football education. Everton will need to address that, especially as Koeman is red hot on keeping possession and not giving the ball away cheaply. Barkley was hooked at half-time at Sunderland earlier in the season for losing possession too easily, illustrating how tough the Premier League environment can be. It will be interesting to see if he is loaned out to a Championship team or stays in the first team squad. Either way, how he develops from this point onwards will be up to him improving his football intelligence to go with his skill & ability.

In a previous thread, I described him as a "Street Footballer". The SLP article confirms he learnt his skills on the all-weather pitch at Brunswick Park in Camberwell. A school-mate lived in Brunswick Villas, so I know that well. He is who he is, because he came through the old fashioned method of learning the game by playing in the local park, rather than starting in the U7s at a league club. English players coming right through the system tend to be very similar in their style, which is often exposed when we get to the finals of tournaments and they cant think or act for themselves, as illustrated in the England v Iceland game. Perhaps Lookman can add a different dimension?

Like the last bit tutts about kids being sterilised at an early age having an effect later on the international stage.

A notion I have believed for a long time.
  • Options

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    that is a question that could be asked of a lot on here ..
    No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Speaking for me, my brother and my nephew as soon as there is a regime change there will be three new season tickets sold for starters.
    Add me, one of my brothers and my son.

There were threads on here with people listing the numbers of years support they given and stating they would be back when they've gone.

As Theresa May said boycott means boycott
    Ah, boycotting spending money on tickets not on attending the games.

Everyone has their own take on boycott.

Personally I thought he was a very dour batsman with a very old school view and he shouldn't have hit his missus either.

I'll get me coat.
    he still maintains that he didn't .. unpleasant man and talks too much .. but he sure knows his cricket
    HI knows f all about cricket.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

According to the SLP, Lookman went to school at St Thomas The Apostle in Nunhead, right under the nose of Millwall. They need to get their scouting system sorted out. They've missed £11 million sitting on their doorstep.

On transfers like this, I always think of the scout who spotted him playing for Waterloo FC, before the Academy Staff and an agent got involved. Its always nice to see the scout get a bonus, or maybe he was recommended by the coach at Waterloo FC, and we followed it up. It is also interesting to know why he wasnt picked out by other London clubs at a younger age and slipped through the Academy net.

I hope it all works out well for him. In previous threads I have commented on his lack of tactical awareness, particularly losing the ball in poor areas or when most of his team-mates had moved in advance of him in the build-up. I suspect that may be a result of joining the Academy late, when most boys would have had 3 or 4 more years football education. Everton will need to address that, especially as Koeman is red hot on keeping possession and not giving the ball away cheaply. Barkley was hooked at half-time at Sunderland earlier in the season for losing possession too easily, illustrating how tough the Premier League environment can be. It will be interesting to see if he is loaned out to a Championship team or stays in the first team squad. Either way, how he develops from this point onwards will be up to him improving his football intelligence to go with his skill & ability.

In a previous thread, I described him as a "Street Footballer". The SLP article confirms he learnt his skills on the all-weather pitch at Brunswick Park in Camberwell. A school-mate lived in Brunswick Villas, so I know that well. He is who he is, because he came through the old fashioned method of learning the game by playing in the local park, rather than starting in the U7s at a league club. English players coming right through the system tend to be very similar in their style, which is often exposed when we get to the finals of tournaments and they cant think or act for themselves, as illustrated in the England v Iceland game. Perhaps Lookman can add a different dimension?

Take your point about Millwall, but the areas of scouting do seem to be a bit 'flexible' when it comes to clubs 'areas'. Often had scouts from West ham and Chelsea coming to 'district' games, and at the Kent trials. If you listen to the previous posting he was playing at Sparrows lane in one of those games, or was a sub. Some of the clubs do not like you playing for the district, and get quite difficult with even playing for your school. I guess they have an investment, so I guess you have to be discreet there.
    Loads of talented kids get signed up, a few make it. My old club that I managed played against Waterloo, they lost 4-2. They had some very talented players and won the league by a country mile, and virtually all the cup competitions. Good luck to any lad that makes it, there are thousands out there that do not for one reason or another, and it is not always due to a lack of talent, in fact far from it. We had a first class goal keeper from CAFC academy when one of my sons played at Cray Valley under 16, he was let go by Charlton due to his height. Think he was 5 foot 9- 10 inches at 15\16 years of age...Anyway my knowledge of the game is dated at junior level, Really hope the lad makes it, and made up for Waterloo, and the guys running the club.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

I imagine Everton will keep him at the club this season, so that he can be coached, and they can keep a close watch on him. As you say, he needs more training to fit in better to a team, as at the moment he is a talented individual.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if he isn't on the bench v Man City next week
  • Options
    Great article, I Like that KR took him to watch Spurs, nice touch.

• Options
    He has come a long way...

FOOTBALL PLAYER PROFILE CV

Ademola Lookman
    Your County : London
    Your Nationality : Black British
    Best Position : CF
    Current Club : Waterloo fc
    Previous Clubs : None
    Which Club you want a trials for : Brighton & Hove Albion, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester United
    Country you live : United Kingdom
    Tell us about your football history (Min 100 words) : I started playing football from a young age and have always loved the sport.In primary school i played for the school football team. I never had a football team outside of primary school but i used the school team to the best of my abilities. Then i got scouted by a team called Waterloo fc and they offered me a good stability and also the coach of Waterloo fc was my primary school school team manager so it worked both ways. i have been playing for waterloo fc for 5 years now and i have developed as a player dramatically.
    Write about your Playing Ability (Min 50 words) : I see my self as quite a technical player with skills and many other attributes. i see myself as a game changing player and who can take the game by the scruff of its neck and make an immediate impact. i am very talented with both of my feet and i can shoot and pass with both left and right feet.
    Why should an Academy Director give you a trial (Min 50 words) : i believe a academy director should give me a trial because i believe i have what it takes to become a footballer. i have passion and desire and i certainly wont let the academy director down. I have previously been on trial for Brighton & Holve Albion and they showed great interest in me but i was not able to go to their second trial due to work experince which was set up by my school. I do not see myself becoming anything else apart from a footballer in life. i dont want to become a footballer for the money or wages that i earn i want to become a footballer because i have the passion and desire for the sport. Please Whoever you are Academy director please offer me a trial.

Was his teacher a Charlton fan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just struck me that of course Roland doesn't want success because that would interfere with selling our young talent. If Charlton were in the Prem, the number of desirable clubs for our young players would be significantly reduced.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Sad to seek Ademola Lookman go, as he's the first top class forward we've brought through since Paul Walsh in 1980. At least we got 49 games out of him, as opposed to the now customary 25 or so.

He came into the side at a real nadir for the club - especially with that clown Fraeye in charge - but, however grim things were, he always offered the prospect of a bit of magic at some stage of the game and usually delivered. Looking at the excellent video posted by @CWadlan (and from everything else I've seen and heard), Ademola seems a great lad, full of humility and gratitude for the help he's had in his career. I find that hugely refreshing in the modern game. Apart from being very grounded, I think the fact that he's not come through the cosseted Premier League academy system is also likely to stand him in good stead.

I'm very pleased that he's gone to a excellent club like Everton and shall follow his career with great interest and pride.

As to the terms of the 'undisclosed' transfer, the consensus appear to be that the fee is £7.5 million (presumably paid over 12 months), rising potentially to £10-11 million with add ons. According to that esteemed organ, the Evening Standard, we also have a sell-on clause, which will be very important if Ademola fulfils his potential.

Viewed objectively and in isolation, it's a good deal as (1) we're a mid-table League 1 side who are well out of the promotion race, (2) selling teams usually receive larger fees in the January window and (3) Everton are almost in the position of a 'special purchaser', given that Bolasie is out for a whole year.

The problem, of course, is that Roland will see the deal as a vindication of his 'player farm' strategy and, commensurate with that, Robinson is likely to be given a very modest amount to improve our anaemic and under-strength squad (which is just the way Roland likes it). Karl Robinson's concerted efforts to talk up Konsa and Aribo (the new "Patrick Veira"/"Dele Alli") are also unhelpful as, apart from the potential impact on the lads themselves, it smells of trailing our coat for future sales and will only serve to encourage Duchatelet to continue with his reductive experiment.

Anyway, good luck Ademola, you did us proud. Looking forward to seeing you perform your magic on Match of the Day.

I might be tempted to suggest that Robert Lee was a top class forward but I take your point.
  • Options
    Haha bless him. He looks a bit stunned there. Like a little boy going back down the tunnel. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Haha!! He does look stunned and so young! Bet he can't believe it.

I shall look forward to following his career.
  • Options
    Great welcome for him.
  • Options
    More terrified than stunned. It's a massive step up for such a young kid who wasn't even at a professional club a few years ago. I hope he does well.
  • Options
    Good luck Ademola.