Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    Has KR ever been in charge of £4m to spend on players? MKD survived on frees, loans and kids. Once it known that the club have money to spend then the prices will be increased and agents looking for higher wages for their clients.
  • Options
    Well done Ademola, get out of Dodge whilst you can.
  • Options

Makes sense to get this move done and dusted early. I would imagine that if I was manager and was given £4m, I would probably take us up from our current position, so am pretty confident KR can do it with 2 or 3m. But he needs to be able to bring in teh players he thinks he needs!

Trouble is, will they want to come to Charlton, probably not.
  • Options
    Whatever the final fee, that's a lot of vol-au-vents.
  • Options

Probably the only player we have actually worth anything on the open market. That's my Valley Gold cancelled. I accept we are a selling club. But, if this money goes straight to Douchebag to cover his losses because of his utter incompetence, then frankly my £10 a month will go to a better cause like my wine bill. That's my final link with a club I have supported for nearly 50 years now severed. Well done you Belgian tossers.

There's a logical disconnect in here. You're cancelling your Valley Gold over our non-spending in a transfer window that hasn't opened yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Can't see much of this being reinvested in the team in my opinion. This will nurse Roland's losses for this season. KR will be welcome to venture into the free agent market like Riga did this time last year

Agree. Will prove social clubs can break even.
  • Options
    I don't think that player sales necessarily come off of the debt.

Didn't RD pocket The money Charlton paid SL for Watt before selling them for the full asking price not deducting anything from the debt?
  • Options

Splodge said:

If you look at the players who have left recently, and how they were playing when sold/lost, these last few years could've been a golden age for a club with decent owners. Imagine adding experience to the likes of Lookman, Cousins, Gomez, Harriott & Poyet, plus keeping the likes of Gudmundsson, Pope etc. That could have been a chance to get promoted to the Prem, not relegated to L1.

Unfortunately the premier league has never been the game plan of the Belgians.
    Add in players like reece oxford being rejected, we could have been sitting where leeds and reading are, instead we are kust below afc wimbledon....but we have improved after every decision
  • Options
    The smell of blazing pants is unbearable.
  • Options
    Hiya ladies and gents. Belated Merry Christmas to you all. Everton fan here, and I come in peace and with much love and respect. Obviously heard the news about us signing Lookman and about us wanting to put him straight into the first team squad.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've not seen him play. I've tried to read up about him as much as possible, and seen the obligatory youtube clips. Taking club loyalties out of it temporarily, just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me an honest appraisal of what we can expect, now and in the future, from him? What are his strengths and weaknesses? And how much potential do you think he does/doesn't have?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Splodge said:

£10m according to the BBC. Obvs not all up front though. Transfers rarely are.

I'd rip your arm off if even four of those millions were up front.
    Why? We aren't getting the money to spend. I'd rather have the talented young homegrown player.

I accept he'll go at some point but I'm not getting excited about us getting a potentially decent fee (which will probably prove to not be true), particularly under this ownership.
  • Options

Probably the only player we have actually worth anything on the open market. That's my Valley Gold cancelled. I accept we are a selling club. But, if this money goes straight to Douchebag to cover his losses because of his utter incompetence, then frankly my £10 a month will go to a better cause like my wine bill. That's my final link with a club I have supported for nearly 50 years now severed. Well done you Belgian tossers.

Seeing that we picked him up when he was 16, it's not as if we've been nurturing him since he was 8. I've never seen the point of VG since we got back to the Valley anyway. A good academy should be able to pay for itself, via transfer fees saved and earned

• Options

Leuth said:

There's a logical disconnect in here. You're cancelling your Valley Gold over our non-spending in a transfer window that hasn't opened yet?
    No I think he is cancelling because when he joined up it was to help develop players like Bowyer Rufus and Parker, who would only be sold when it was impossible to keep them, because they were otherwise integral to our team's and club's progress.

At least thats why this has prompted me to cancel, and divert the money to the protest fund
    Spot on. Valley Gold should be to develop young players who can hopefully stay and progress to as high a level in the pyramid as we can, hopefully the Premier League, and the sale of young players should only be because they have outgrown the club at its' current level and because the money can then be used to strengthen the club. Under this ownership that'll never be the case, so there's no reason to be part of Valley Gold anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

Splodge said:

If you look at the players who have left recently, and how they were playing when sold/lost, these last few years could've been a golden age for a club with decent owners. Imagine adding experience to the likes of Lookman, Cousins, Gomez, Harriott & Poyet, plus keeping the likes of Gudmundsson, Pope etc. That could have been a chance to get promoted to the Prem, not relegated to L1.

Unfortunately the premier league has never been the game plan of the Belgians.
    Add in players like reece oxford being rejected, we could have been sitting where leeds and reading are, instead we are kust below afc wimbledon....but we have improved after every decision
    Rejecting Reece Oxford was probably the right decision last season, we didn't need a talented but inexperienced CB at the time
  • Options
    The only good news selling Lookman is that he was one of the last real saleable assets we have which RD can sell to cover losses.

Apart from Konsa (who we won't get much for) all losses will now be on Roland to cover without relying on transfer fees.
  • Options
    From the perspective of wanting the player to develop, I'd have liked to see him go to a bigger Championship club, a Villa/Brighton/Wolves/Leeds/Sheff Weds, get regular games and grow with a club that hopes to be upwardly mobile.

But Everton is a better move than say Arsenal, where he'd not get any game time or coaching that will help his development.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RoyalBlue said:

Hiya ladies and gents. Belated Merry Christmas to you all. Everton fan here, and I come in peace and with much love and respect. Obviously heard the news about us signing Lookman and about us wanting to put him straight into the first team squad.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've not seen him play. I've tried to read up about him as much as possible, and seen the obligatory youtube clips. Taking club loyalties out of it temporarily, just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me an honest appraisal of what we can expect, now and in the future, from him? What are his strengths and weaknesses? And how much potential do you think he does/doesn't have?

I like his attitude, he'll chase a defender down and when he's got the ball at his feet he is composed and will often pick the right pass.( the knock to Ajose at millwall last week is a prime example)

Having said that, mind, we have seen has a slump in his performances of late, no doubt a big move in the back of his mind has played its part in that.
    I can't see him jumping into the Everton first team squad this season, but he's a prospect alright.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Have you tried the Waterloo FC messageboard?
  • Options
    I'm not all that bothered about this. It was a little predictable. I don't trust anything KM says so it's irrelevant that she said we'd be keeping him. Also his Agent must be rubbing his hands with glee and the player must have been told that a decent contract now will make him financially secure for the rest of his life where as a nasty injury could prevent it for years or, possibly, for ever.

It makes sense for the player, it, probably, makes sense for the club and It is clear that those running the club don't have the teams achievements as a high priority.

I also think that if the money is invested in the team the squad and first eleven would be better than haveing Lookman in the side. I know you're all going to say that RD will not invest it but that is a separate argument and doesn't change the fact that a third division side shouldn't be signing players for £10m and probably shouldn't be keeping players that can be sold for £10m.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    RoyalBlue said:

I think any Premier League defender will be able to bully him off the ball and he will panic in front of goal at that level. With good fitness coaching he may put on some strength and retain his speed, in which case he could be a good lower prem / champ player whom I fully expect to see playing for WBA or similar.